Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Default internet service on board

Hi all!

I can not live without the internet!
i'm looking at having that broadband connection that i can connect to my laptop for me to use while i'm working on board.
is that possible? do ships have signal service while out on sea? or do i have to wait while near the shore to use the internet service?
i will be assigned to the PRIDE OF AMERICA , the ship that goes around Hawaii.
I don't know if that information will help.
THANKS!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM
Kamloops Cruiser's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariea View Post
Hi all!

I can not live without the internet!
i'm looking at having that broadband connection that i can connect to my laptop for me to use while i'm working on board.
is that possible? do ships have signal service while out on sea? or do i have to wait while near the shore to use the internet service?
i will be assigned to the PRIDE OF AMERICA , the ship that goes around Hawaii.
I don't know if that information will help.
THANKS!
Don't expect Internet speeds approaching broadband on board.
The speed is some where between dial up and very slow broadband..
Your best bet is to get a broadband card for your laptop and us e it while in port.
__________________





Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:17 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
Default

thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 43
Default

Onboard wireless is SLOW and expensive. Even for crew. You don't have to refinance your house to get online like guests do, but it's still pretty ridiculous. It's satellite, so it's very slow, and any type of downloading...forget it. Not only will you not be able to, you'll get a nice little visit from the IT manager who'll tell you next time you download something, he'll write you up for it.

If you're a crew member with company access, almost everything is blocked. You can't even check facebook, unless you go to the internet cafe, or use the wifi, for $$$. They're really strict about what you have access to. You can actually see a pretty scary political bias in what they censor as a corporation...but I won't get into that, as it's not something I should talk about on here.

You're in Hawaii though, so there are loads of wifi spots everywhere. Hotels are good places for that, and cafes. Or, just follow the crew. They know all the places to go. I usually left my laptop on the ship, never hooked it into the internet, and just went ashore with my iPod Touch, so it wouldn't get pinched in dodgy ports. You'll see crew sitting all over the place online.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 25
Default

My wife and her sister are going to be having internet withdrawal when we go on our Hawaii Cruise this September.

__________________



RCI Radiance of the Seas - Sept 16 2011 - Hawaii
RCI Brilliance of the Seas - Oct 08 2008 - Med/Greek Isles
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Sept 23 2007 E. Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy - January 15 2006 - Bahamas
Carnival Destiny - July 3 2005 S. Caribbean
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Oct 10 2004 E. Caribbean
RCI Navigator of the Seas - Nov 29 2003 W. Caribbean
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

Why can't you live without the internet ? What did you do prior to al Gore inventing it ? I know so many people who do not own computers ,its amazing .

I myself am using a typewriter .
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza
Posts: 510
Default

So Henry, how did you connect your typewriter to Cruisemates?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Why can't you live without the internet ? What did you do prior to al Gore inventing it ? I know so many people who do not own computers ,its amazing .

I myself am using a typewriter .
The Original Poster asked a question. Why would you want to give them your opinion of how they SHOULD be? Why should they care?

If you don't have an answer to the question,, why would you even respond? It's really not the least bit helfpful.

Though it did set up Bruce rather nicely
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Kookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
The Original Poster asked a question. Why would you want to give them your opinion of how they SHOULD be? Why should they care?

If you don't have an answer to the question,, why would you even respond? It's really not the least bit helfpful.

Though it did set up Bruce rather nicely

I can cite more than 50 threads in which you have responded the same way as I have . Once again it is the double standard syndrome .
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I can cite more than 50 threads in which you have responded the same way as I have . Once again it is the double standard syndrome .
Yup.. you'll believe that until the day you live

Henry... you can be as inane as you like on Chit Chat. This was posted under Crewmembers.

You were trying to tell someone going to work on a ship that he doesn't need Internet... just get a typewriter.

Yup.. that was very helpful. Suppose they should just forget about contacting their friends and family at home until their contract is up in 6 or 8 months.

Not EVERY thread on the boards relates to your personal experience.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default Kookster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Yup.. you'll believe that until the day you live

Henry... you can be as inane as you like on Chit Chat. This was posted under Crewmembers.

You were trying to tell someone going to work on a ship that he doesn't need Internet... just get a typewriter.

Yup.. that was very helpful. Suppose they should just forget about contacting their friends and family at home until their contract is up in 6 or 8 months.

Not EVERY thread on the boards relates to your personal experience.
One : Tell this to yourself because a great deal of your posts going back to the beginning of CM are inane .

Two:

My post was meant to be humerous and not factual .How many of your posts are satirical in nature ?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
One : Tell this to yourself because a great deal of your posts going back to the beginning of CM are inane .
That was in my job descrpition.

Two:

My post was meant to be humerous and not factual .How many of your posts are satirical in nature ?
We had a LONG thread on Chit Chat recently, asking people to NOT hijack threads on INFORMATIONAL threads. Guess you missed reading that 1 thread.

(+ you may want to learn to use the emoticons when attempting humor... just to point it out )
To the Original Poster... apologize about the thread getting derailed. Hope you enjoy your time at sea with it's slow internet.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

I was not hijacking a thread .I was attempting to be humerous . Many of my threads ,actually most have been to instill humor on CM . I personally would prefer a site that is 100% cruise related but since CM is not structured in that manner my thinking is to have fun . Life is too short to be serious all the time .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
access, broadband

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Service nctraveler54 Princess Cruise Lines 8 April 9th, 2010 08:49 PM
Zuiderdam internet service dbowman55 Holland America 7 October 10th, 2008 03:04 PM
internet service tammtitle1ytitle Costa 1 April 3rd, 2005 12:29 PM
Internet service Robert Gorecke Carnival Cruise Lines 3 March 20th, 2005 03:16 PM
Stateroom Internet Service jerryj Cunard 5 November 14th, 2004 08:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1