Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to carlovercelli
Default RCCL Medical Exam

Is it only me, or is RCCL's medical exam extremely comprehensive?

My physician was stunned of the amount of stuff that needed to be checked!

Also, I live in Sweden where these things aren't so cheap and I had to pay $400 out of my own pocket..

Am I alone in this matter?
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hmmm....

Details?

I'm in America, and we were told you Swedes have solicialized medical care. Did they lie to us ?

In the U.S. many companies "self-insure" - which means if you have a medical problem they pay for it out of their own pockets. It sounds expensive, but with enough people it works out. PLUS - they have an international crew so they cannot get insurance for everyone.

I imagine they really want to know if you are going to need a kidney transplant before they hire you.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via Skype™ to carlovercelli

Haha, no ther was no lying. We do have socialized medical care but when it comes to requesting something like this when you are not in need of medical care you have to pay for yourself. And then they take their chance to charge you good! Haha!

Btw, do you know what "Chemistry - 19 panel" is?
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am guessing it is just a way of saying they want a specific batch of tests - and that there are 19 of them.

Typical tests include cholesteral, liver enzymes, HIV, hepatitis AB&C, heart enzymes, prostate, etc.

Some of these tests are expensive, and with 19 of them I am sure it adds up.

FYI:

"chem panel" is a palette of biochemistry tests. Often there is a "theme" to the palette, such as a kidney theme, or a liver theme, but not always. Usually a lab will offer more than one palette. The physician will choose the palette according to his needs.

In the example you give, this particular lab defines one of its biochemistry palettes as Chem1, Whole blood, Venous. If you click on this palette, you will see that Chem1,Whole Blood, Venous is defined as: Glucose, Ionized Calcium, Electrolytes: Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Chloride (Cl), Bicarb (HCO3)

If you click on Chem2,Whole blood, venous you see that the palette is: Venous Blood Gases ((pH; pCO2; pO2; HCO3 (bicarb); %O2 (oxygen saturation)). Sodium (Na), Potassium (K), Chloride (Cl), Glucose, L-lactate, Ionized Calcium
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM
Familiar Face

When I went for my medical with Princess Cruise, it was an extensive one too. My medical test was about $450. So I guess that is about normal.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:10 AM
First Mate

Default Outside the Norm

Regardless of the monies requested it would sound to me you are caught in the middle ground of social medicine like we have in Canada .
If you are sick you will be looked after with minimal expense if any but being well then puts you into the fair game category of not abusing the system.

Here you can go to your GP for a report on your health but if it was not because of being ill then he has a standard fee he can charge you for and the same goes for the round of blood and urine tests he will order but again you pay for as it is not a medical need.

The other observation as Paul stated is the cruise line needs to ensure you are a healthy potential employee and that wanting the job you are prepared to pay out some monies.
Much like a police check here where my future employer pays for it or I do.

Hope all works out well and you get the job.
Once onboard you can be assured of good medical service provided to you free if the occasion occurs.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old March 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM
First Mate

I am guessing that the number of tests required before going to work in an environment like a cruise ship are important to make sure that once you are on a ship that you are healthy. It would not be good to be a crewmember on a TA and suddenly discover you had this or that condition that could cause you to take up a bed in the med center. I can understand a cruiseline wanting to have a very extensive physical before a person signs on with them.

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That, Hawkeye, and the fact that cruise ship employees get full medical coverage while working aboard the ship - so if he needed to be hospitalized the line would have to pay for it. Emergency med-evac situations can be very expensive.
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
That, Hawkeye, and the fact that cruise ship employees get full medical coverage while working aboard the ship - so if he needed to be hospitalized the line would have to pay for it. Emergency med-evac situations can be very expensive.
Yeah, friend of mine works on DCL Magic, and while I don't know the whole specifics of it, he got sick or injured and got laid up in Cozumel. He's back in Orlando now, and headed back to the ship tomorrow when she docks in Canaveral.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default question

What if they find something wrong or you list something but if you are healthy enough to work and get a medical certificate, especially if it was something like a protected illness, HIV, Cancer, diabetes for example which is costly in medications but couldn't be used as a reason (normally) to not hire a person, especially if a job offer has been made....any idea?
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFloridaGuy View Post
What if they find something wrong or you list something but if you are healthy enough to work and get a medical certificate, especially if it was something like a protected illness, HIV, Cancer, diabetes for example which is costly in medications but couldn't be used as a reason (normally) to not hire a person, especially if a job offer has been made....any idea?
If it is under control via medication and considered a non risk , should not be an issue. Lots of people have diabetes and travel and work their whole lives.
Has to do a lot with the insurance company policies,
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Captain

Most cruise lines are self insured for medical care.
When they make a job offer to anyone, that offer states that the candidate MUST successfully pass a comprehensive medical exam before the job offer is valid.
Since all the major cruise lines are NOT US Companies, there are no "protected illnesses".
This "protected illness" mentality also explains why all the major cruise lines are so reluctant to hire employees from the USA.
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Medical

they said you need to obtain a medical certificate and the website says:

an equal opportunity employer, and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender, color, race, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or any other status protected by law.

because I thought the same thing as you but this information made me wonder...I use to do HR at my old job.
Old March 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
First Mate

Quote:
they said you need to obtain a medical certificate and the website says:

an equal opportunity employer, and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender, color, race, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, religion, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, or any other status protected by law.

because I thought the same thing as you but this information made me wonder...I use to do HR at my old job.
The "law" in question is the local laws of whatever country the ship is flagged in. Again why you see so few US Flagged cruise ships. HR at a job in the US, and HR for a ship that is flagged in Bahamas, or Panama, or Liberia, etc etc etc, totally different ruleset.

Past cruises:

Old March 7th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

but when the do the hiring of a U.S. citizen, it's done through the corporate office in the U.S....they even HAVE to with hold Federal Taxes and have you fill out a W-4.

That's why I was asking if anyone has had experience with this or know someone that has.
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I know on my first job on Royal Viking (a Norwegian company) in 1982 they paid me cash every month - no withholding.

Then on NCL in 1992 I believe I had a choice of cash or check. I usually took cash. I don't recall any withholding then.

But today I am pretty sure U.S. employees on ships do have withholding taken out and they get some kind of tax form at the end of the year and have to file for a refund. (I am really not sure - there is a very good chance it varies from one cruise line to the next).

Keep in mind that if you are referring to Pride of America (NCL-America) the rules are much different than for any other major cruise line. That ship is a U.S.-union ship, so the rules are far different.
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Not NCL

It's not NCL...it's a Carnival corp line.

Oh and about the pay, it must be by direct deposit into an FDIC insured bank that pays interest.
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
It's not NCL...it's a Carnival corp line.

Oh and about the pay, it must be by direct deposit into an FDIC insured bank that pays interest.
I can understand the FDIC insured part, but requiring it to be interest bearing? Not a lot of checking accounts out there do, so it would have to be a savings account? Which then limits access to the funds?

Past cruises: