Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Steiner April 1/2011

'ello everyone!

I love this community crewmembers forum! Its soo informative and fun to read!

anyways... just wanted to know if anyone is heading to the steiner academy or ymca anytime soon.. say April 1st when i get there? It would be nice to know someone before i go... at least someone to travel and eat with !!

Also, does anyone also know what happens on the first week of Steiner training? (im a massage therapist) Is it true i have to wear tons of makeup and wear nude stockings all the time?? and there are tests/evaluations everyday?

and i've heard some mixed reviews for the ymca accomodations. any one have any know how or tips??

thanks a lot!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

im heading to Steiner Academy/YMCA in February next year as a hairdresser (ages away i know) but i would also love to know a bit more about the facilities and requirements between now and then =)
Old March 30th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

im leaving tomorrow for steiner and the ymca... will let you know how it is!
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down Worker for Steiner =mirrors an oppressive regime.

Tons of makeup as a massage therapist..? that doesn't make sense. Anyway Steiner just bought out our spas and I just want to say that within a year our salary was cut TWICE!!! This company raised the price of our services to then turn around and cut our pay!! Not to mention, they added longer work weeks and business hours in addition to more techs now our books are practically empty. We are commission based employees only so we basically work for free!!! They capped our commission and we only get a raise every 3 years!!! YOU ARE UP FOR A RAISE ONLY IF YOU FALL UNDER A CERTAIN TIER!!! THE COMMISSION HAS BEEN BROUGHT DOWN TO 26% from 30% in one year!!! THEY HAVE ALSO REQUIRED US TO PAY MORE ON OUR HEALTHCARE! This company is pure evil, their response is if you don't like it leave. When they cut our pay the first time an employee asks if execs pay were cut as well and she was reamed by human resources and the regional manager for mentioning it. I hope steiner execs burns in hell. Keep treating your employees like crap and eventually this will be posted in the los angeles and new york times. I want the world to know about your demeaning employee treatment and fear tactics you treat us like second class disposable citizens.
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Familiar Face

The first week of training TONS happens! Great idea, by the way...I'll make a video about just the first week. You'll pay all your fees...meet tons of people...maybe go out on the town once...

First week for massage therapists is going to be learning the Steiner/Elemis ''signatures''. Body brushing, 'The Warming Touch'...I'm sure you'll be on laundry duty once or twice too.

I'm happy to answer any questions and have a youtube channel dedicated to it. youtube.com/lepajessi Check it out.

Best of luck! By now you're on board and I hope you're loving it and making tons of money!

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)
Old January 28th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi guys,

I've got an interview with Steiner in March, been reading a few threads on here and now I'm not so sure I want to go, some of the comments saying how awful they are to work for, is this true?

It's always been my dream job but I'd hate to join and be miserable for 6 months.

Do you recommend any other cruise company's?

Any advice would be so great, thanks
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Go to the interview and check it out, Ill be at the YMCA in april for a week before I join my next ship, already did 4 contracts so its not that bad, you make some money, travel, you do work long hours but at least is rewarding!
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Familiar Face

I've worked for Steiner for 8,5 months and went trough training at Steiner / YMCA. It is great opportunity, but it is def not for everybody. Also I had some ethics issues, that is my reason why i am not returning. I've written my entire experience down in a blog; cruiseship-personaltrainer.com

Unlike some others, I have finished my contract and can give you a unbiased and honest opinion of the company and the work. Because there is a lot of false information on different websites and from different people.
There is a lot of anger from people that did not finish the training or the contract, and also a lot of extremely positive information from people that see everything trough pink glasses or never ran into trouble, or just never had many problems with ethical issues.

Also, lately I've gotten a lot of questions about working as a personal trainer, so if you have any questions, just let me know, i will happily answer them for you trough the website: Information about working as Personal Trainer on Cruise Ships: Home