Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimm4 View Post
Is there any chance in the world that Carnival would
hire me??? My apply with no response they do not
discriminate with age and race do they?

K
Age and race are not a problem.

Do you speak 3 or 4 languages?
Do you have extensive international hotel experience.
Are you willing to work very hard for 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, for several months without any days off?
Can you pass a drug test?
Do you have any cruise ship experience?

If you answer "no" to any of the above of the above, they have very little use for you.

Do you have a US Passport?
If so, your chances are extremely slim.
Our fellow countrymen have burned the cruise lines so many times in the past that they are extremely reluctant to take more chances on getting burned again by hiring Americans.

I have an American passport - although I would never consider living in America - and have gone through all the hassles with the reluctance of hiring Americans to work on ships.
After working on ships for decades, I would never consider hiring American employees to work for me. They have burned me every time I tried in the past.
I will not go through that again.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default American hires

Bruce is correct. Few ships use Americans except for entertainers etc. I believe most staff are hired through special agencies only. NCL ships out of Hawaii ONLY use American workers I hear. With mixed results I also hear Maybe someone else with more info can reply.
Old April 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM
First Mate

You didn't say what job you applied for? If it's just for 'anything', yes - very low chance.

The only late 40's ish, American 'new-hire' females I've seen in the past few years have been one cruise staff, an executive housekeeper and a bar manager. You HAVE to have specialized skills or management level hospitality experience

And no guarantee that you'd be placed on the same ship as your officer . . . .
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default also 49 years...

Hi, a'm not american, I'm 49 years old, have been on serveral ships 20 years ago as cabin stewrdess. I'm looking for managing positions for my and my husband together on the same ship. He never work on the cruise industry, just hotel. We have managing skills but not on cruise. I sent our resumes to several companies and agencies. Can you give some advise, we need jobs fast...
thanks
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
First Mate

Are you sending your info directly to the companies? You might need contact one of the 'hiring partners' instead. Remember not to give money to these people - they should be getting a commission from the cruise lines once you're onboard and working.

Here is the partner that hires for RCI/Azamara/Celebrity/NCL in Europe and the US

Seven Seas Group : Home : Recruitment for jobs on cruise ships.

This site has a LOT of great info for anyone looking into working on a ship - make sure to read the FAQ page. The only small piece of info I see that is wrong is the 21 year old age limit . . . this is true for most jobs, but singers, dancers and Steiners (spa & salon) can be 18.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
First Mate

Seven Seas Group : Resumes/CVs : Recruitment for jobs on cruise ships.

and really good advise about writing your cv/resume

and this is good!

<<<<<Why Can You Sometimes Do Everything Right and Still Get No Invitation to an Interview

An error-free, clear, focused, and targeted resume and cover letter may yield no interview for many reasons.

Here are four:
Sudden changes (reorganizations, budget cuts, hiring freezes, or lays offs, for example) remove the need to fill an advertised opening.

Screening and recruitment process may take months from an ad to contacting applicants.

An employer receives enough responses from other candidates whose skills and experience are more closely suited to a specific position.

A well targeted inquiry reaches an organization with suitable positions but no current openings. >>>>>>