Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:46 PM
Familiar Face

Wink Contracts, videographers, applications, and a little sex joke just for good taste

Hello all!

I'm in the middle of navigating the choppy waters of the application process (you know... because I'm talking about sailing... and this is a forum about cruises... uh? *annoying elbow poke* uh?... god I should get paid to write this stuff) and I had a few questions on my mind. Any help will be much appreciated!

1. Are contract periods fixed (say Jan-Jun, Jul-Dec, etc.) or are they all over the place depending on the case (i.e. April-Sept, Aug-Jan, etc.)?

Reason I'm asking is because Princess isn't currently hiring for my position, and I wanted to have an idea of when something could open up.

P.S. If you are on a Princess cruise, please make the videographers realize how much they miss their beautiful lives on land, how seasick they always get, how traveling is overrated, and how they absolutely must quit immediately. I will love you forever.

2. What cruise lines, concessionaires, and hiring agencies hire videographers (or similar)? Here's the list I have as of now:

Carnival
Princess
Image Photo Services
Ocean Images
Crown Recruitment (RCCL)
Cast-A-Way Hiring Agency
Ocean Photo Service
P&O Australia
Celebrity
NCL
Holland America
Seven Seas Group (RCCL and NCL)
Just Cruis'n Recruitment (RCCL)
Proship Entertainment

3. I interviewed with RCCL, but for a position I certainly lack the experience for (and wasn't too fond of either) so I didn't get the job.

Celebrity's online application asks if you have previously applied to RCI in general (RCCL, Azamara, etc.). I chose the option that basically says "yes, I was interviewed, but I didn't get it", though I feel it might as well say "choose this option to have me crumple up your application and throw it in the trash while I yell 'Kobe!'".

My question is, would you recommend being honest, or playing dumb? Would they notice if I changed it? Chances are the online app won't even get anywhere, I'm relying more on my contact.

I've got a decent insight into the application process for those interested in videography, so feel free to ask me questions. Oh and show me yours and I'll show you mine. Contacts that is. Or whatever I'll show you mine anyway, I'm pretty easy. With contacts, that is.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2011, 01:01 PM
First Mate

1) Contract time is all over the place - whenever a position opens. People quit, get fired, finish a contract. It's a constant turnaround.

2) As far as I know - Image and the 2 'Oceans' are just still photographers. I thought Proship was just musicians (an ex muso runs it) and then you have the RCI/X/Azamara hiring partners on your list. They don't do the actual hiring, but are the go-betweens to screen and get you on the ship and are paid by the cruise lines themselves

3) ???? who knows. They prefer not to hire someone for RCI who's recently actually been onboard an Celebrity ship, but don't know why.

check out this thread from a few years back
..my new adventure (the whole 'getting a job' story)
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Familiar Face

thanks for the input sz

Image and the two "Oceans" are definitely photog centered, but they do have videographer positions available. Proship is more for technicians.

On a side note, if anyone is interested in working for RCI, I most definitely recommend Crown Recruitment. I got a response from them the same day I sent out my app, and had a interview with RCI within 2 weeks (ironically for a position I wasn't fit for/too interested in). They do say they only take applications from UK residents, although I'm a UK citizen who resides elsewhere. Not sure how that works really.