Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Default Obtaining a MMD card with a suspended Drivers license?

Has anyone obtained an MMD card with a suspended drivers license? Or know if it is even possible? Any information would be helpful.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza / Japan
Posts: 620

In 2004 I was denied a MMD card because I had received a speeding ticket (35mph in a 25mph zone) in 1968 (that's 36 years earlier). I had paid the fine and never had another speeding ticket in my life. My driving license was not suspended.

I appealed the decision on the MMD card. The Coast Guard told me that if I wrote a very long and sincere letter to them, describing how I had rehabilitated myself since my highly dangerous activity in 1968, then had it signed by a Judge or Notary Public, they would reconsider the decision.
After a few months of consideration, the Coast Guard approved my MMD card.

I suspect that you will have a more difficult time than I did.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 11,010
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Wow Bruce...

I am sorry to say I dont even know what an MMD card is... is it related to NCLA?

I worked on for three different cruise lines and never had any regulatory hassles or friction with the Coast Guard.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
fun2cruiz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga.
Posts: 650
Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

You may be asking yourself, “What is a Z-card? Do I need it?”
Under Title 46 of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, a Merchant Mariners Document, or Z-card, is mandatory for employees working aboard U.S.-flagged ships. It is administered by the U.S. Coast Guard.
Every employee working under the NCL America brand is required to have an MMD Card (Z-card) because NCL America ships sail full-time through the Hawaiian Islands. You will need the MMD card prior to working on one of NCL America’s ships.

Your Travel "angel" ~~~ Curtis

Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza / Japan
Posts: 620


I have worked for 11 different cruise lines, and also never had any problems with the US Coast Guard - until this MMD issue came up.
It's just not worth the hassle to work on an American Flag ship.
Reply With Quote


card, coast, contact, cruise, drivers, guard, info, license, liscense, mmd, obtaining, sail, ship, speeding, suspended, ticket, upgrade

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
obtaining mmd with suspended driver license phillip6781 Ask CruiseMates Staff 4 September 19th, 2010 09:30 PM
Obtaining MMD with suspended driver license phillip6781 Crewmembers 0 September 19th, 2010 01:42 AM
Drivers license on shore excursions nellihilator Royal Caribbean International 8 February 20th, 2008 11:09 AM
Drivers License in St. Maarten??? BoosterMom Caribbean & Panama Canal 2 April 25th, 2005 08:20 AM
International Drivers License?/Tahiti Oldjud South Pacific - Hawaii 2 January 18th, 2001 06:55 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:53 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1