Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Red face Environmental Officer Info

I was wondering if any of you can help me out with what is required to get a position as an Environmental Officer.

I have been working in the environmental field for over 4 years doing environmental cleanup of marinas, beaches, gas stations, oil fields, rail yards and numerous other commercial and industrial properties, along with this, I obtained some waste management experience. I have a degree from a university in Canada and have my professional designation with specialty in the environment from the association of engineers and geologists (also in Canada). I am Canadian but am currently living in Europe. I have done a lot of traveling, have lived in numerous countries, and speak English, French and Spanish. So I am wondering if I would have any chance at getting this position as I do not have any formal officer training or a degree from a marine academy etc.

I am also wondering (with respect to this position):
• which company is best to work for?
• any information on the living conditions?
• would I get any days off in port or would I need to be at the dock?
• is this mostly a male dominated group- how would a female be treated?
• would a spouse/significant other be able to visit and stay in my cabin or would they have to work on the ship to get to do so?
• is this position always a 3 months on 3 months off rotation?
• would they fly me to my hometown for time off or just the closest major city?
• how frequent are storms?
• I have already committed to being in a wedding next Aug. would this be a problem? I am used to not being able to commit to anything and could fully do so after this…would it be best to wait until after to apply or just tell them about it if I get an interview?

Any other information about this position would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ruby
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:14 AM
First Mate

There was a thread on here a couple years ago that will answer some of your questions . . .
Environmental Officer or I/S Manager?

• would I get any days off in port or would I need to be at the dock? -
Occasional time off, but most of the EO's duties happen during the day

• is this mostly a male dominated group- how would a female be treated?
I've met 4 or 5 female EO's - if you know your stuff, you'll be fine.

• would a spouse/significant other be able to visit and stay in my cabin or would they have to work on the ship to get to do so? -
The line I work for has a 90 days per year spouse privilege, but if a partner worked onboard, they could berth in your cabin

• is this position always a 3 months on 3 months off rotation? Approximately - my line is 10 weeks on/off

• would they fly me to my hometown for time off or just the closest major city?
There usually is a list of 'gateway' cities and I think marine officers might have their expenses if needing to travel further taken care of. That will depend on the line.

• how frequent are storms? - Um - just watch the Weather Channel.

• I have already committed to being in a wedding next Aug. would this be a problem? I am used to not being able to commit to anything and could fully do so after this…would it be best to wait until after to apply or just tell them about it if I get an interview?
Depends on how quickly you'd get placed on a ship and what the rotation is. There is such a thing as 'compassionate' leave. If someone else on board can do the job (sometimes another officer might have the licenses/qualifications to fill the EO job) you 'might' get time off during a contract, but I can't remember knowing of a marine officer to take any time off unless it was for shoreside training or conferences.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

sz- thanks for the help it is very much appreciated!