Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Wink NCL Entertainment Dept.

Hi! I really need some assistance from experienced crew members. I have an interview with NCL and I know that I want to work in the Entertainment Dept. but I don't know how the entertainment dept on cruise ships works.

It seems like titles and job descriptions that are clearly defined in TV/Film production are different in cruise line productions so I'm a bit confused.

I want to work on the creative side of productions, and I'm not exactly sure what position to apply for. I want to list the things that I want to do and the things I don't want to do and if you could please tell me what is the title of this position on a cruise ship I would really appreciate it.

Things I'm interested in doing in the entertainment dept.:
a) concept development for all shows/entertainment
c) directing plays/musicals/live events/game shows
d) coordinating video shoots for weddings/parties/celebrations/live events
e) finding/hiring talent/crew

Not interested in:
a) camera work
b) audio work
c) all things technical (TDing, consoles etc)
d) troubleshooting equipment
e) editing
f) being the talent/on camera

Thanks for your input in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2012, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Hate to burst your bubble - but what you're interested in is for the most part not going to be on the ship.

a) concept development for all shows/entertainment
This is a shoreside posistion - maybe even an outside company. Check out sites like
Stiletto Entertainment Website , pgtpi.com , Jean Ann Ryan Productions Inc. , www.ncl-productions.com , Royal Caribbean Productions

For instance - take a look at http://wwwl.royalcaribbeanproductions.com/team and you can see the backgrounds of the creative team . . . usually ex theme park/cruise line/vegas revue singers/dancer/producers/directors

c) directing plays/musicals/live events/game shows
Again - the installation direction will be a shoreside position, live events/game shows will be the cruise staff. Development would come from a cruise director or traveling shoreside position

d) coordinating video shoots for weddings/parties/celebrations/live events
Done by the onboard videographers/photographers - also, weddings are now a concession like www.royalwed.com

e) finding/hiring talent/crew
Again - a shoreside position and for the entertainment side, it's the websites above, but add www.sixthstar.com (which might actually be what you're looking for) or via a cruise ship hiring partner such as www.thesevenseasgroup.eu

Last edited by sz; February 9th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Welcome Newcomer

SZ..... thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu