Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Personal Trainer vs Massage Therapist

I am attending a program that will certify me as both a massage therapist (2200 hours) and a personal trainer with a group fitness license. Would I be wiser to work on a cruise ship as a trainer or a therapist. I am terrified of stories I've heard of therapists who work for Steiner... however I do not know if Steiner will hire me as a personal trainer because I've had no personal training experience, only group fitness instruction experience.

If I am going to apply with Steiner, which of my skills should I apply with?
Or... is there another company that hires fitness professionals/massage therapists ( I cannot find any).

THanks
Em
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Captain

In speaking to the massage therapists about the cruise ships, Steiner does not hire male massage therapists for cruises. I was told most women feel uncomfortable with a male and males want women to give them a massage.
Personally, I like massages from males as they don't usually have to elbow you so hard, marks appear!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi emmy,

From what I've heard, working for Steiner can be tough, mostly in the way of hours. And hours for trainers can be just as brutal as hours for massage therapists.

I don't want to discourage you, I just want you to be aware of what you may get into. If you interview as a trainer, be sure you ask them what a typical day looks like for you. On a ship I was on last year, there were two trainers and the hours were ok, but then one left and they had no replacement. The lone trainer had to work every morning 6am until the other one came (about a month later). She was not a happy camper.

As far as money I have no idea what the commission structure looks like. I've heard people say they make a boatload and some say they just get by - I guess it depends on how good you are at your job.

Hope this helps. Either way, do it for a contract. Ship life is fantastic and you should experience it once in your life if you can! :-)
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Familiar Face

Steiner does hire male massage therapists. There are only certain cruiselines that do not staff males.

Most likely it will be a plus that you have both qualifications. They like dual certifications because you have more services you can do.

Most likely they will decide one of the following once you get to the Academy in London for training:

1: You make a better Fitness Trainer- then you will focus on fitness first then massage but join a ship as Trainer
2: You're better in the massage field and may continue to train in fitness area after completing all the massage treatment training but will join the ship as Massage.
OR 3: They will train you in both areas and will assign you to a small ship or prestigious yacht where you will have both Fitness and Massage columns.

When applying, I would suggest applying as Massage therapist and clarifying with them when interviewing/training that you are dual licensed.

For more info; visit my blog or youtube channel!

lepajessi.blogspot.com
youtube.com/lepajessi

Ships worked on:

Silver Seas Shadow
Celebrity Millennium
Caribbean Princess
Celebrity Summit

http://www.lepajessi.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/lepajessi
http://www.lepajessi.com (Under Construction)