Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default Just got hired!! =] Questions!!

So I was just hired as a Sales Associate for cruise ships. Unfortunately I do not know where I am heading yet as I have to pass a medical test. I do have a few questions for people who have gone through all this, and are still on board. I would appreciate ANY help at all.

So this medical test is scaring me a bit haha I've heard of what they do etc but what kind of things would make someone FAIL the medical?

What are some pro's and con's of working on board as a sales associate? I know each experience is different for everyone and every job will have there ups and downs. Is it worth doing, not doing etc?

Any advice and/or help would be awesome! I'm excited yet very scared at the same time! LoL
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Failing a medical? Pure and simple, drugs in the urine. The medical is pretty basic - xray for lungs, general blood test (STD/hepatitis/cholesterol, etc), family history, 'can you touch your toes and see that wall and hear this' - flexibility, vision and hearing. If they find anything (barring failing drug or pregnancy tests), you have the chance to correct it. Unbeknownst to me, I once had a UTI and didn't make the urine test . . . just a $4 run of Walmart antibiotics and I was good to go.

For a shoppie - I see pro's being pretty much being OFF in ports (except for a load in morning when the stores are coming in) and but also a con as the sea days are super long - Pretty sure the job is commission based, so if you have a 'cheap' clientele, you're not making the $$$. Shoppies are usually one of the 'fun' groups on any ship.
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi mw!

Congrats on getting your ship gig! In regards to your question it's like sz said, as long as you pass the drug and pregnancy test you should be good to go. Like any job, you can still work with pre-existing med conditions, as long as you can work. I knew people on ship with all kinds of allergies and asthma, and even a guy with HIV who worked onboard ships fo several years and had no problem at all. So no worries.

Shoppies have the bonus of being mostly off in port (shops are closed, you just might have to load or inventory sometimes) and on some lines, having privleges upon supervisor approval (going to shows, restaurants, etc). You'll likely have to share a cabin, but if it's your first contract, it's actually a great way to meet people and become acclimated to the life. Enjoy! :-)
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Another new Hiree

Hi I just got a job with Princess, as a nurse. Can anyone tell me what to pack, expect, and what kind of room I will have ie sq footage, port hole etc.....
I am also wondering if there is any other nurses on this web site that I may be able to talk with.
Thanks
Ali-Cat
Old February 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I just got hired as a JAP with Princess. Excited!
Old March 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

IF YES THEN PLEASE PLEASE HELP A STUDENT IN NEED.......

I really really really need more repsonses for my final year research project.

I was a hotel cadet with P&O Cruises last year and I am now in my final year of uni studying Cruise management!

My dissertation is to investigate to see if culture has an impact on leadership in the cruise industry. here is the link to my questionnaire that takes 3 mins to complete:

https://plymouthbusiness.eu.qualtric...W33fl2NMjUo1WB

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! Thanks in advance

I HAVE ONLY HAD 63 REPSONSES AND NEED ATLEAST 100 FOR MY RESULTS TO BE VALID
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I'm also wondering what to expect from the medical! I previously suffered from depression but am completely fine now - will they fail me for having had a mental health disorder? I can see why they'd be cautious about it as being away from home and working long hours etc. could be bad for someone who may have bad coping strategies, but i really feel this is a job i am meant to do and don't want my previous medical issues to get in the way!!!