Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default A few questions.

Greetings!

I've lurked these forums for quite some time. I've decided it was time to post.

I'm currently a federal employee working for the Department of Veteran Affairs. I'm a trainer, dealing mostly with adult learning/ISD.

I noticed there are a few trainer positions listed at various cruise lines. My question to everyone here is, besides work experience, education, and positive references... What else should I try to include on my cv/resume to show that I can perform to the best of my ability? Do they care about things such as an active security clearance?

From what I've read on this forum is that the "extra stuff" is just as important. The ability to live away from home, work long hours, etc.

Thanks you in advanced for any advice you may offer!
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2012, 05:43 AM
First Mate

It depends on the position that you are applying and which cruise line that you are applying.

When I applied with NCL, the company wanted basic crew members to work in their galley as either a janitor or dishwasher. The only requirement is that you have a clean criminal record and can pass a drug test so you can get both your TWIC and MMC cards.

The hardest part of the application process for me was running around collecting paper work for the background check and since I have a clean record I got a position with the cruise ship and will ship out in a matter of days.

If you have an active security clearance and a clear background you should not have any problem finding work on a ship.

Good luck.

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlegator View Post
It depends on the position that you are applying and which cruise line that you are applying.

When I applied with NCL, the company wanted basic crew members to work in their galley as either a janitor or dishwasher. The only requirement is that you have a clean criminal record and can pass a drug test so you can get both your TWIC and MMC cards.

The hardest part of the application process for me was running around collecting paper work for the background check and since I have a clean record I got a position with the cruise ship and will ship out in a matter of days.

If you have an active security clearance and a clear background you should not have any problem finding work on a ship.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply! That seems easy enough, I just hope being American doesn't play against me. From everything I've read, it seems that hiring Americans is on the back-burner.
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Captain

Being American will not work against you if you apply at NCL America. Legally they must hire only Americans and green card holders.

On the international cruise lines, being American will not put you on the back burner - it won't even let you get on the stove.

Most international cruise lines have agreements with hiring agencies and unions to recruit specific nationalities for specific positions on their vessels. Since there are nearly no hiring agencies in the USA, and the American Maritime Unions are a joke, you have very little chance to find a ship-based job - unless you are a wiz at shipboard computer systems, child care, or onboard entertainment.

If you can pass a drug test, do not have a drinking problem, speak several languages, and have international hospitality working experience, you might be lucky enough to get your foot in the door for an entry level job. But first you must be able to convince somebody important that your performance will not be as bad as all the previous American employees who caused so many problems and got fired the first few weeks they were onboard.
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Familiar Face

Hi

I have worked on RCCL and i know quite a few trainers on there who are American so i dont think it would count against you, especially in a job like trainer which is quite a senior role (2.5 stripe officer). In terms of what to put on your cv, your experience and willingness to be flexible, work away from home etc will be good and stick on security clearance, wont do any harm! So go for it, good luck!
Old June 7th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Being American will not work against you if you apply at NCL America. Legally they must hire only Americans and green card holders.

On the international cruise lines, being American will not put you on the back burner - it won't even let you get on the stove.

Most international cruise lines have agreements with hiring agencies and unions to recruit specific nationalities for specific positions on their vessels. Since there are nearly no hiring agencies in the USA, and the American Maritime Unions are a joke, you have very little chance to find a ship-based job - unless you are a wiz at shipboard computer systems, child care, or onboard entertainment.

If you can pass a drug test, do not have a drinking problem, speak several languages, and have international hospitality working experience, you might be lucky enough to get your foot in the door for an entry level job. But first you must be able to convince somebody important that your performance will not be as bad as all the previous American employees who caused so many problems and got fired the first few weeks they were onboard.
Thank you for telling it to me how it is, and not sugar coating it. I am fluent in English and German, so that is a plus for possible international employment.

Would taking the STCW 95, or any related course ahead of others pre-employment?

And thank you cruiseshipgirl, I'm hoping my federal experience and references will finally pay off, as there sure have been a lot of bland buildings in my past!
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:02 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaz View Post
And thank you cruiseshipgirl, I'm hoping my federal experience and references will finally pay off, as there sure have been a lot of bland buildings in my past!
Good luck in your search in the career of working on cruise ships, though I am curious why would you want to leave the government with a security clearance to work on a cruise ship? Are the jobs that hard to find in the government and the private sector?

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Good luck in your search in the career of working on cruise ships, though I am curious why would you want to leave the government with a security clearance to work on a cruise ship? Are the jobs that hard to find in the government and the private sector?
You wouldn't be the first if you were to call me crazy. I feel like I need a change. I've never been one that enjoyed sitting in a chair for eight hours a day. Unfortunately that has become a daily routine. It wasn't always this way, but with the recent budget cuts, that's the case. I do have job security, but that doesn't worry me too much.

The fact is, I'm single, with no college loan debt, and with a car that is paid off. I've heard the cruise industry is all about working hard in a fast paced environment. That's what I want. I want to get out of the cubicle/office and into a field where I do not feel like a lump. I'm absolutely fine with being away from what I call home for extended periods of time.

I just had my clearance renewed which means it'll be good for a few years. If I do end up in the industry and realize this isn't what I want, I can always go back to the private sector related to my line of work.

And last but not least, thank you. I do hope I find something. I know in August an NCL job fair is coming to my city. However, I am still shooting off resumes before then.

Edit:

Oh, and one more question. I was talking with a recruiter from an American based river/coastal small cruise line (Ships hold a max of ~200ish). If offered a contract, would this sufficiently qualify me for answering yes when asked if I've had cruise experience?

Last edited by Pandaz; June 8th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM
First Mate

Good for you.

This month I will be doing my 1st contract with NCL not because to change my career but in my area the job situation is bad. I plan to take this 5 month contract in hope that the economy get better even though this is a permanent position. I am curious about reading the turnover rate that the Pride of America has with some of it crew, it wasn't as bad as it was years ago.

I feel that if you have to go through all the trouble of getting a TWIC and MMC cards you have to do a lot of research about the company and ship you will be working on.

Old June 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM
First Mate

Don't let anything posted here put you off your goal - I'm at the same line as cruiseshipgirl and can attest to the proliferance of US citizens onboard . . . well comparatively . . .

Have been with the line 10 years and can say 1 out of every 3 or 4 T&D Mangers are American - and about every other new-hire T&D.

Just posted this in another post
Human Resources - Royal Caribbean Shipboard Careers

But I'd say make sure your resume fully covers the job description you see in the link. Follow up is the key to getting into a cruise line, once your info has been sent, you do need to call or email to keep your name current and get to that first interview.

I'd wait on any marine related classes until you know you're close to a gig - my line takes care of that once you're onboard and at their expense.

and PS - you'll still have a cubicle . . . it'll be in somewhere in the guts of a floating hotel!
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz View Post
Don't let anything posted here put you off your goal - I'm at the same line as cruiseshipgirl and can attest to the proliferance of US citizens onboard . . . well comparatively . . .

Have been with the line 10 years and can say 1 out of every 3 or 4 T&D Mangers are American - and about every other new-hire T&D.

Just posted this in another post
Human Resources - Royal Caribbean Shipboard Careers

But I'd say make sure your resume fully covers the job description you see in the link. Follow up is the key to getting into a cruise line, once your info has been sent, you do need to call or email to keep your name current and get to that first interview.

I'd wait on any marine related classes until you know you're close to a gig - my line takes care of that once you're onboard and at their expense.

and PS - you'll still have a cubicle . . . it'll be in somewhere in the guts of a floating hotel!
Thanks for the heads up.

I did edit my resume to include the full responsibilities of my position. Now comes the waiting game. I feel that the lack of hotel/cruise experience is going to be the hardest factor to overcome.

Is it safe to say the two week rule of no communication applies here?
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM
First Mate

Don't be too sure about the lack of hotel/cruise experience. Just knowing the T&D and HR Managers I've met over the years, they've come from some fairly diverse backgrounds.

Follow up is always good for any type of job search . . .
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:15 AM
First Mate

I have to agree with SZ about the experience working in hotel/cruise as long as you are a hard worker and adapt you should be fine.

The NCL "Pride of America" had a huge turnover rate a few years ago I assume some of their crew had hotel experience. As long as you know what you are getting into when working on a cruise ship.

Research, research and research.

Old June 18th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
I have to agree with SZ about the experience working in hotel/cruise as long as you are a hard worker and adapt you should be fine.

The NCL "Pride of America" had a huge turnover rate a few years ago I assume some of their crew had hotel experience. As long as you know what you are getting into when working on a cruise ship.

Research, research and research.
If you add research a few more times, that's exactly what I am doing .