Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Daughter crew on Carnival Elation

Hi,
I am a mom of a new crew member on Elation! Any advice??? I am very concerned (and probably overprotective), but why can't they communicate home more/better? Can she get mail/packages?? Will this get any easier?? Is she really safe???? HELP!
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:43 AM
First Mate

Not sure how to totally assuage your feelings . . . but you've instilled your love and values over the years and here's where they'll be put to the test.

Not sure what sort of communication you're expecting, but a ship at sea is dependent on on very narrow bandwidth when it comes to communication - and it's a per minute charge. and VERY expensive whether internet or the cell tower. Be patient Your daughter should have been given an address by which to receive mail and packages-if you don't have this info, I'd advise googling the company to see if they have an address to her specific ship (or a number you can call to get this), or see if she'll send it to you.
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Unhappy

Thanks SZ,
I know you are right. I feel better hearing that from someone who knows. I am aware of the expenses of calling/texting and I suppose that's why she isn't using those to communicate. I will get the address and send snail mail. It sort of makes me feel like she joined the military.....the NAVY maybe!!!! 6mths or more on a ship at sea; little to no communication with family....UGH!
thanks again! Gotta bad feeling this is going to be tough for MOM, too!!!

Last edited by Crew Member Mom; June 18th, 2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old June 18th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The crew actually get a reduced rate on Internet time, so most I've ever spoken with use email to stay in touch with their families.

There's also internet cafes in pretty much every port within walking distance of the ship, that crew use. And most have facilities for international phone calls, which crew also often use.

The cruise lines give emergency contact information for passengers to give to family at home so they can be contacted if necessary.
I can't imagine they don't do the same for crew members. I'm certain they would have given her that information to provide if she chose to.

Maybe she's just too busy adjusting and settling in to the job to contact you.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much! I am now getting emails from her! She is attempting to set up a skype acct. I am alittle more calm now! She said she is WORKING! ALOT!! & not much time to communicate, but when she gets some training, hopefully things will be easier and she can call, email, fb more often!
Thanks again to all!!