Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2
Default insurance

Starting work on Cruise ship end of the month, ca anyone tell me the best place to get travel insurance to cover my nine month contract, been quoted 450 by my employee, does this sound right?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 11,010
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Normally the cruise line will cover all of your health care costs while you are on board with the possible exception of a needed medical evacuation.

Can you be a little more clear about what kind of coverage you are looking for?

If all you need is medical evacuation then American Express has a policy they offer cardholders with is only about $200/year.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2

Going to work for Steiner, who have informed me i need travel insurance, they put me onto their prefered insurance company who came up with the 450 quote.
They say i need to be covered for travel to and from the boat and when off the boat under my own insurance!!
Can you suggest an alternative insurance company to talk too.
Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM
storybookcruises.com's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 2,224

There are several good travel insurance companies who sell a one-year policy. A couple that I would suggest looking at to see if they'll work for you are Travel Safe and Allianz. Do not assume a big name is the best policy - we fired 3 of the biggest names in the business because of really bad customer service.

But you can go to the website insuremytrip.com and get a look at some other companies who may also provide extended travel insurance policies.

Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/15 yrs exp and 50 Cruises on 12 different cruise lines in many parts of the world! VIETNAM VETERAN OWNED & OPERATED. Certified Accessible Travel Advocate. Specializing in unsurpassed personal service to insure you have a hassle-free vacation!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
sz sz is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 376

Look into MHG insurance. This is the company I used when I left a US 'normal' job with medical insurance and before I got a promotion to get the cruise line's version via Cigna. I actually did have a couple of doctor visit claims that I settled with them successfully and they are the group that comes onboard ships to service the crew. You'll need to browse thru their website to see if they have what you're specifically looking for.

Marine Crew Insurance - Powered by MHG Insurance Brokers
sz . . .
Reply With Quote


cruise, forum, insurance, services, starboard

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help please on insurance NJguy22 Carnival Cruise Lines 15 July 24th, 2006 03:25 PM
Insurance C.V. Ask CruiseMates Staff 6 November 12th, 2005 01:50 PM
INSURANCE Duke 42 Carnival Cruise Lines 7 November 17th, 2004 12:09 PM
insurance Wendyv2 Carnival Cruise Lines 1 May 25th, 2004 02:13 PM
Insurance Robin Ask CruiseMates Staff 4 September 20th, 2001 09:18 PM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1