Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Unwanted Cruise wear

DH and I usually leave quite a bit of clothing in our cabin at the end of the cruise. Now, mind you, this clothing is not stained or torn....we just don't want to bring it back home (saves on laundry when we get home too!).

Are these clothing articles something that our cabin steward might want? If so, would they get in trouble to keeping them? I realize we would need to explain to the steward, or leave a note so that the clothing doesn't go to the "lost and found" or possibly be mailed back to us.

I thought I'd ask a crew member how to best do this. Do the cabin stewards even want someone else's clothing??? Should we just toss them in the garbage after wearing them each day? I hate to throw out nice clothing, but I'd hate to bring some of these things back even more.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Admiral

I'm having a bit of trouble answering your question, but I would suggest that you take the clothing home and donate it to a local charity, maybe the Salvation Army?

While the Room Steward's like cash tips and sometimes books or magazines, I don't think they want your used clothes.

JMHO,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Oh, this is not to take the place of tips! We've done this in hotels around the world and when we tell the maid that we're leaving clothes in the room that we don't want (don't mail them to us!), so many are just tickled.

I'm not sure stewards on ships feel the same way. We want the extra room in our suitcases and if leaving the clothes are problematic, we will just toss them before we leave the ship. I thought I'd ask a crew member so we know
Old February 20th, 2013, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Ask if there's a donation bin onboard. Some ships have adopted charities on specific islands they visit and keep items for the next time they visit. Otherwise the items will go to 'lost & found' or thrown away if no one wants them.
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz View Post
Ask if there's a donation bin onboard. Some ships have adopted charities on specific islands they visit and keep items for the next time they visit. Otherwise the items will go to 'lost & found' or thrown away if no one wants them.
Thank you, sz. We are sailing Alaska with Celebrity. Maybe I can find out before we leave if Celebrity is one of the cruiselines that does this

~ Shari