Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Question HR expericence

Hey guys, newbie here.

So, I started the process with Carnival and Princess (got called back for both) to work as HR Manager on board. I'm curious to know where you stand with the HR department. Do you think they are useless? Beneficial for the crew? A bunch of overpaid clowns?

Have you had previous experience working with or in that department? I kinda know what to expect if I'm hired as I know couple people working in HR for other cruise lines but yeah, I'm curious to know the general feeling regarding the on-board HR department.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think that you will find it can be a pretty challenging job.

Cruise Lines take care of the medical and dental health of their crewmembers, so you will be coordinating a lot of office visits. Then there will be flights home for emergencies, etc.

I mean, how many jobs have the employees living on site?

Good luck. I hope you love your new job, and congratulations on your callbacks.

Old January 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
First Mate

I've found that the crew's perception of HR really depends on whether the HR manager is more proactive towards the crew vs management - I've seen both.

You'll be one of the few people (along with the captain, staff captain, chief engineer and hotel director) that truly impact the day to day life and welfare of the crew.

Just being hired, you've got the background and experience on the training/corporate HR side - but as Paul said, it's having all your employees LIVE within their workplace for months on end. 50+ countries, languages, cultures, hygiene habits . . . .

Do what you can for the crew - food, mattresses, activities, tv programming for the crew channels, being the voice of reason during master's hearings.

And PS - never have had the HR manager have anything to do with routine medical visits - that's the realm of the medical department and perhaps security, and then the port agent if transport is required. Only reason you'd get involved is if the situation required a total sign off to a facility or home.
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the inputs! I appreciate it.

I've found that the crew's perception of HR really depends on whether the HR manager is more proactive towards the crew vs management - I've seen both.

Yeah, that applies everywhere I believe. My background is Employee Relations in union environment, people assume you're either on one side or the other but the conception that one may work toward both the company and the workers best interest seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way. Pet their backs, they'll love you - Scratch it too hard, they'll retaliate.

You'll be one of the few people (along with the captain, staff captain, chief engineer and hotel director) that truly impact the day to day life and welfare of the crew.

This promises to be intesresting to say the least . Let's hope that, regardless of their roles - they are aware of the importance of the crew welware and how a bitter, resentful, unhappy crewmember can screw up their department operation.

Just being hired, you've got the background and experience on the training/corporate HR side - but as Paul said, it's having all your employees LIVE within their workplace for months on end. 50+ countries, languages, cultures, hygiene habits . . . .

True. can't pretend I know otherwise.

Do what you can for the crew - food, mattresses, activities, tv programming for the crew channels, being the voice of reason during master's hearings.

Don't most ships have a crewmember walfare committee or something as such for that type of demand? I get it's up to the HR to escalate those resquests but I'm curious to know how they are formulated.
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklektikx View Post
Thanks for the inputs! I appreciate it.

Don't most ships have a crewmember walfare committee or something as such for that type of demand? I get it's up to the HR to escalate those resquests but I'm curious to know how they are formulated.
Yes, there is a crew welfare committee, but the HR manager is the facilitator . .. and at least on my line, the direct supervisor of the crew relations, crew administrative and crew activities personell.
Old January 10th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz View Post
Yes, there is a crew welfare committee, but the HR manager is the facilitator . .. and at least on my line, the direct supervisor of the crew relations, crew administrative and crew activities personell.
Yeah from what I've read it depends from line to line. On some the Chaplain acts for crew relations and activies.

Anyway, now I have to wait and see which of PCL or CCL makes me a proper offer first. Both seem to be in a bit of a rush. PCL is a stand alone position and it kinda worries me. Seems like a lot to handle for 1 person. On CCL they've told me that it's a team of 3 including trainers.