Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 15th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Talking Disney Pre Employment Medical

I have recently been offered a position with DCL pending medical. I am just wondering what medical conditions will preclude you from employment. I have had depression/ anxiety in the past and am still taking antidepressants however due to come off them soon. I have also had counseling for my problems and feel quite confident they have been resolved. I am quite a happy, friendly, bubbly person and am very much looking forward to my dream job. Will this affect my chances?
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2015, 09:47 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi redshirt_girl,

Just wanted to know how you went with your pre employment medical for disney? I am due to go for one soon and am also feeling a little worried about it. Would you be able to tell me what they tested you for?
Old January 5th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise1101 View Post
Hi redshirt_girl,

Just wanted to know how you went with your pre employment medical for disney? I am due to go for one soon and am also feeling a little worried about it. Would you be able to tell me what they tested you for?
Most cruise lines do a drugs test and a comprehensive blood test. Checking your liver function, kidney function, full blood lipid profile, HDL levels, LDL levels, serum triglycerides etc.
Other basic things like blood pressure, eye sight, hearing.

Basically they want to make sure that you are health before hand so you don't come on board and then try and sue them for some condition claiming it was due to them. They also don't want to set themselves up with someone that they then have to treat onboard.

If you have figures that are slightly off or elevated that can be treated without medication, then you should be ok.
If you are on a myriad of drugs that could affect your performance in a job then that could be a problem.
Ie if you have asthma and you are applying for shore excursion team and plan to assist with diving then that would be a problem.
If you have asthma and you are the financial controller and desk based then it wont be a problem.
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Sorry to hijack the thread, but is it possible to fail on eye sight alone? Since working nights for over a year my eye sight has become terrible! I guess te worst case is that they will ask for me to get glasses?
Old January 6th, 2015, 08:58 PM
First Mate

you do need to have good vision - if you need contacts/glasses, get them BEFORE you go to get your medical done.

Look at this thread and look for the site that lists medical forms for cruise ship musicians
Links to cruise employment
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Familiar Face

It here are plenty of people onboard who wear glasses. You need to be able to read the bottom line of the chart with reasonable accuracy
Old April 6th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hello!! I also have a question regarding eye sight... I'm applying for YA at DCL...does anyone know if in this position we're allowed to wear glasses? My sight is very good at near/intermediate distance, not so good at large distance. I never wore glasses, though I think I should, but I don't want to risk my application because of this...if anyone could help me on this matter, it would be great!
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Familiar Face

You absolutely can!
Old April 7th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

That's a relief!! Thank you sooo much for your information Karen97...just hoping I can pass the medical exams fast, and finally get my embark date...sooo nervous and excited!
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

No worries! You'll be fine with the medical, they just want to know if you're healthy to work! Let me know what ship you'll be joining