Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Making the ship feel more like home.

Hello everyone!

So, I've been working as a crew member for about 4 years now, always doing contracts of 3 months at the most with nice breaks in between.
About to go on my 9th contract, and would like to change some things to make life on board a bit more 'normal'.

As a lot of crew members know, most cruise ships change people whilst they're on board. I for example, don't drink or party when I'm at home, but on the ship I'm this completely different person. I'm a bit tired of that. It's not as bad as when I just started working on ships, but it's still not the way I want things to be.

I'm fortunate enough to have my own cabin on the ship. Do you guys have any advice on how to 'pimp your cabin' a little? I don't mean starting a brothel from my cabin, but just making it feel a bit more like home.
I love having my own bed linen for example. And thinking of getting some LED wax candles, that look just like normal candles, are batterie operated and even flicker. Some fake plants or flowers. Anything to make it look less like a cabin, and more like a 1 room miniature apartment ;-) Are there more ideas amongst you guys?

I also like bringing some extra spices to the crew mess with me. I find the food is generally over salted, and tend to go for the salad buffet or add some plain rice to which I'll add some olive oil and some granulated garlic for example. Sometimes I'll even 'smuggle' some fresh garlic and ginger onto the ship. Trying to stay fit and eat clean on board is not very easy as a crew member. Thank god there's a very good gym on the ship, where I especially love to go in the very late hours, when it's almost deserted, and only occupied by 3 or 4 crew members.

I guess what I'm saying, or asking is, how do you make life more normal on board? I know not everyone wants life to be more normal on board, and they love the rush of parties and craziness, but I'm looking for people who have been cruising for a long time, and have some advice!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Aidacruise,
My advice may not be too helpful but what I used to do, is mostly just having to do with the bed. Once I would get on the ship and in a port that had a Walmart or something like that. I would buy an egg crate for my bed and a comforter. (Total value around 30$) Sometimes some nice sheets too, as well as a stereo system (again 20$) It didn't change a lot but made my bed really comfortable, and with the music on (not blaring of course) it sounded better than just computer speakers and changed the atmosphere of the room.
Again I should note that I didn't bring any of it with me from home. I would purchase it once I got on the ship. The 40$ total purchase was worth the extra baggage headache.
Hope this helps.