Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Medical exam help?

I am hoping to apply for a position as a cruiseship photographer in the UK.

I have a few minor concerns with regard to a medical.
I wear glassses and have a lazy right eye. By no means do I have perfect vision but can seee fine for everyday life and doing my photography. Do you have to pass a certain standard?
With regards to the fitness side what is usually expected of you. I am a little skinny but do they expect you to have muscles.
Final point can they fail you because you have had several fillings done in your teeth?

Thanks

Tom
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2014, 06:32 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I just did my exam like a week ago and they do check your sight with and without your glasses and you have to pass both, I was woried because Im chubby but I passed and they dont test your strength just if you can perform the required duties... well that was my experience.
Old October 22nd, 2014, 08:40 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
I just did my exam like a week ago and they do check your sight with and without your glasses and you have to pass both, I was woried because Im chubby but I passed and they dont test your strength just if you can perform the required duties... well that was my experience.
What did they do in your exam? I have mine in January. Did they test blood pressure? Take blood? Physical exams? I want to know what to expect!
Old October 22nd, 2014, 11:51 PM
First Mate

Here's a site that provides the medical forms for a couple of the cruise lines. IMPORTANT !!!! When you do get an exam, please get the most recent/correct forms from your recruiter/hiring partner/cruise line. These are just an example.

Cruise Ship Musician Paperwork | Suman Entertainment Group Blog

You can have certain medical issues and still get a job on a ship. All medical history issues have to be signed off on or have a current action plan in place and approved by your doctor. For example - I know of crew who put a heart issue they had at birth on their history, and even though they never had a problem throughout their lifetime, they still had to get that one specific note signed off on by the examining doctor that it wasn't an issue. It's ok to be on blood pressure, anxiety meds . . . I've even know if some HIV positive crew . . . BUT, you HAVE to have the issue completely documented and OK'd by the doctor that it won't interfere with your work.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:10 AM
Familiar Face

I got signed off on my medical with high blood pressure, now on meds for the issue.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:03 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz View Post
Here's a site that provides the medical forms for a couple of the cruise lines. IMPORTANT !!!! When you do get an exam, please get the most recent/correct forms from your recruiter/hiring partner/cruise line. These are just an example.

Cruise Ship Musician Paperwork | Suman Entertainment Group Blog

You can have certain medical issues and still get a job on a ship. All medical history issues have to be signed off on or have a current action plan in place and approved by your doctor. For example - I know of crew who put a heart issue they had at birth on their history, and even though they never had a problem throughout their lifetime, they still had to get that one specific note signed off on by the examining doctor that it wasn't an issue. It's ok to be on blood pressure, anxiety meds . . . I've even know if some HIV positive crew . . . BUT, you HAVE to have the issue completely documented and OK'd by the doctor that it won't interfere with your work.
You're amazing. Thank you for the information!
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I am short sighted which means I have trouble reading something that's far away. I have glasses which I normally use for driving and reading from a distance. Will this affect the medical exam?
Old October 27th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald447 View Post
What did they do in your exam? I have mine in January. Did they test blood pressure? Take blood? Physical exams? I want to know what to expect!
They checked my blood preasure, Piss test, Wieght, Eye site with and without glasses, Hearing test, And the doctor had me do a vbunch of wierd streches and stuf and i think I passed everything, oh they did take blood, I wont know if I passed everything for a few more days. What country are you in?
Old October 30th, 2014, 05:39 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3AST View Post
They checked my blood preasure, Piss test, Wieght, Eye site with and without glasses, Hearing test, And the doctor had me do a vbunch of wierd streches and stuf and i think I passed everything, oh they did take blood, I wont know if I passed everything for a few more days. What country are you in?
Australia.
Old October 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald447 View Post
Australia.
You should be able to see your own Doc, this made things heaps easier for me. I'm heading for a Disney boat soon
Old November 1st, 2014, 04:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Medical

Hi,

I'm working for a German cruise line Aida as a Restaurant Steward.
Well in 2 weeks i will leave for my second contract, and truth be said that medical is a joke.
The only thing that they are strict about is the stool exam. Well maybe its course i work with food.
But to get back to the topic here. I had a lot o colleagues from the photography department and half of them was wearing glasses. And that lazy eye is not a problem if you keep a fresh look and personality.
So if you can do your job good even if you wear glasses, then its fine.
Some problems that can accrue are for you safety duty on the ship.
If you have high blood pressure or a heart issue then it could be questionable for you, cause you have 2 duty's on ship. Your normal duty (photography) and Your Safety duty (for example Evacuation team)

So that's it
hope it helped a bit.

Check out my blog about the ship life for the crew
Work&Travel

Have a nice day
Old November 7th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Familiar Face

Fillings in your teeth are not a problem.
Some companies request a written confirmation from your dentist that your teeth are in a good condition, that's all.