Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old November 11th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cruise Life for an Introvert

Hey all,

I'm a recent college grad and I was just pre-screened for a youth counselor job on Royal Carribean.

I have not been hired yet, but have been researching in case I do. I love the idea of being in a new city every day, and being able to save some money, but I have some reservations.

Everyone I have talked to and every article I have read has said that Cruise life for staff is one big booze and sex fest. I am an outgoing person and love working with kids. However, when it comes to nightlife, I am definitely introverted. I'm not shy, but I don't seek out large, crowded, loud spaces. Even in college, I never assimilated into that lifestyle. I like hanging out with small groups of people, and I don't want to get **** faced.

My questions is, will I be able to survive this 3-5 month contract if I am avoiding these staff parties? From what I've read this is basically how staff gets by: by being in a perpetual state of intoxication. It is also the main way to meet people. Am I going to be a black sheep on board, or is this at least not completely unheard of?

Thanks for any feeback.
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Familiar Face

I'd just like to add that I am not bashing this way of life. That's great that these hard working people have a way to have fun. It just isn't for me.
Old November 11th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Familiar Face

I'm leaving for my first contract on Disney in a few weeks, and I have to say, this is one of my concerns too. I don't mind a drink or a party, but I'm almost 40 and not really interested is getting wasted every night.
I think it's just about finding another social outlet. Gym etc
Good luck with the hiring process
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:19 PM
First Mate

The people who live that lifestyle are not the majority of the population, but just the loudest

I joined ships when I was in my early 40's and I am SO not party person. I found it easy to avoid that world by just saying 'no'. As you're joining Adventure Ocean staff, volunteer for the late night teen events so you're getting out of work and heading straight 'home'.

Also - this will depend on your roommate - if you get someone who likes to party, beware. You might get another YS, cruise staff, dancer or musician as a roommate (as you're in the same department) and hopefully that person is more like you. Cultivate friends on the ship who are into other social activities - i.e. movie, board game, computer help, quiet music, or wine & cheese nights.

All the RCI ships have some sort of non-smoking 'day room' - or you can use the crew mess after hours to sit quietly and read or internet. And BTW - load up a kindle or tablet with tons of books . . . though you can find friends onboard with massive music and ebook collections. Or lots of movies/games/apps on your laptop.

It'll be OK . . .

PS - on FB there a closed Adventure Ocean group - join and ask more questions there.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/aoyouthstafunited/
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Familiar Face

Wow, thank you both for the input. I have to say I assumed that most people doing the lowly work on cruise ships were 20 somethings. It is very interesting to hear that you both started in your 40s. Awesome.

I'm glad to hear that that this is not the majority. I completely understand the roommate thing. I had, quite possibly, the two worst roommates on the face of the earth, but also one that is now my best friend. So it is really a mixed bag. Fingers crossed.

Karen97: good luck with your contract! What position is it? I agree with the other outlet advice. As I said, I'm not shy and I like people. Just not all of them at once.

sz: That is reassuring. Great point on the teen events. Also a way for me to make some extra money. Not sure your degree of knowledge with youth staff, but how late does this typically run vs. how early do I have to wake up the next day? Another reason I don't go out: I had a run of insomnia in college and now I appreciate sleep more than ever.

You read my mind about the kindle! I have my interview tomorrow, so I don't have a contract yet, but I'm already staring at my books and my backpack trying to figure out how many I can take, if any. Definitely thinking of picking up a tablet.

sz, I do have one last question though. I am 23, so a tad younger than you. Did you find that this was common in younger staff or was it mostly middle aged employees avoiding the party scene?

Thanks for the input! I'd be happy to hear more if anybody has any.
Old November 12th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Familiar Face

I've been hired as a Jnr Sous Chef.

Good luck with your interview, if you've got some time try to some reserch on the company/ship. I found this helpful in my interviews
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Familiar Face

You have nothing to worry about, what you heard was exaggerated.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by user999 View Post
You have nothing to worry about, what you heard was exaggerated.
I appreciate that. A assumed this at first but the more and more I read stories, this seemed to be the main theme. I'm glad this won't have to much effect on me.
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Familiar Face

Karen97, thanks. I was prescreened and now my real interview is tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. I was told to study up on RC, but any suggestions on what details I should know?
Old November 12th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Familiar Face

I did lots of reading on my role as a chef, particularly on the health and safety regulations. I didn't need to much background on the ships, but some company knowledge can be useful.

If you're confident in your role, and you can convey this to the interviewers, you should be fine!
Old November 12th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks! Interview is tomorrow.
Old November 13th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

You will be fine, I found some ships had a lot of nightlife and others didnt. It also depends on your colleagues and who you are working with, but ultimately you will have the choice and certainly there will be no pressure on you.
Most ships there are crew areas, gyms, library, games areas, internet cafe. You can socialize without going to the bar.
I came across young crew members in their 20's who didnt want to go "back deck" (crew bar) and like wise I came across crew members in their 40's who loved going back deck.
You will find there are all sorts of people and some people are there for the partying, some people are there for the travelling and many are there for the money, but at the end of the day you have the opportunity to meet a wide variety of people from across the world and you will easily find some like minded people to hang out with!

I enjoyed dividing my time, sometimes going to the crew parties, other times doing my own thing. You will also find some nationalities tend to party more than others. For example, Indonesians mostly dont drink, I met many chinese crew members most of which didnt like the party/drinking scene. I got a to know a few and when I didnt go to the bar I would often hang out with them. I really enjoyed getting the exposure to many different nationalities and I always enjoyed mixing and learning different cultures.
Quite often I noticed that on ships you get certain nationalities who stick in groups and didn't make the effort to get to know people in these other groups. Also some people would not want to associate with lower ranking staff for some reason.
I would suggest you don't fall into this and try and make friends with some of these different nationalities. Often you can find the people who are doing menial tasks are often well educated but simply doing this job because it makes more money than they can at home.

Last edited by taoist; November 13th, 2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old November 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoist View Post
You will be fine, I found some ships had a lot of nightlife and others didnt. It also depends on your colleagues and who you are working with, but ultimately you will have the choice and certainly there will be no pressure on you.
Most ships there are crew areas, gyms, library, games areas, internet cafe. You can socialize without going to the bar.
I came across young crew members in their 20's who didnt want to go "back deck" (crew bar) and like wise I came across crew members in their 40's who loved going back deck.
You will find there are all sorts of people and some people are there for the partying, some people are there for the travelling and many are there for the money, but at the end of the day you have the opportunity to meet a wide variety of people from across the world and you will easily find some like minded people to hang out with!

I enjoyed dividing my time, sometimes going to the crew parties, other times doing my own thing. You will also find some nationalities tend to party more than others. For example, Indonesians mostly dont drink, I met many chinese crew members most of which didnt like the party/drinking scene. I got a to know a few and when I didnt go to the bar I would often hang out with them. I really enjoyed getting the exposure to many different nationalities and I always enjoyed mixing and learning different cultures.
Quite often I noticed that on ships you get certain nationalities who stick in groups and didn't make the effort to get to know people in these other groups. Also some people would not want to associate with lower ranking staff for some reason.
I would suggest you don't fall into this and try and make friends with some of these different nationalities. Often you can find the people who are doing menial tasks are often well educated but simply doing this job because it makes more money than they can at home.
Wow, very in depth and very reassuring. Thank you for taking the time to post this. I appreciate what everyone has told me and I know feel much better. Now I just have to ace the interview! Half hour...
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

Great post Taoist!! This also makes me feel more comfortable about my new job.

How'd you go space cadet??
Old November 13th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Familiar Face

Got the job! Well technically I have to do a third over the phone interview. But from what I heard it's just a formality. If all goes well I will be starting sometime in December.
Old November 14th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Familiar Face

Congrats!!!! Now you'll have to do your medical. The time will fly between now and when you depart.
Hopefully we can compare experiences whilst at sea
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:43 PM
First Mate

Remember to search is forum (and my previous posts) about medicals.

Remember anything you put in your medical history has to be 'signed off on' or OK'd by the doctor as fixed, cured, or successfully under treatment.
Old November 15th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz View Post
Remember to search is forum (and my previous posts) about medicals.

Remember anything you put in your medical history has to be 'signed off on' or OK'd by the doctor as fixed, cured, or successfully under treatment.

I did a search in your posts and didn't find a post, but I'll look again when I'm not so tired.

I guess now that you say this I'm a little worried. I'm in great physical condition except for some pretty severe back pain I suffered for the past year. I received an MRI and I have signs of arthritis (yes at 23). I went through every possible procedure with mixed results and finally decided to give up because I was spending too much money.

At this point it only prevents me from lifting or bending in extreme situations, like more than I should be lifting anyways. As like as I am not sitting for great spans of time.

I'll make sure to look into this. Thanks.
Old November 15th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Familiar Face

you'll be right! Go to your GP for the medical, they'll know your medical history. The medical really wants to know if you're capable of the job, and you're not a disease carrier. Nothing really worth stressing over. I had high blood pressure without knowing, had it treated, and got signed of as soon as it was under control.
Old November 15th, 2014, 03:42 AM
Familiar Face

Awesome. That's really good to hear. I worked with it all summer so it won't be a problem.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

This was great to read!
I have a group interview in almost a month with CCL for Youth Staff and was worried about the same thing. My cousin used to be a Youth Staff and told me I "should learn to drink more" before working on a ship... This worried me as I am fine having a few drinks but I usually don't drink much and am usually not huge into partying.
Old April 10th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Familiar Face

I wasn't much of a drinker on the ship, I wouldn't worry about it. There will be like minded people that you'll gel with. There's plenty of things to do that don't revolve around drinking