Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default $900 medical exam?

Hi,

I was recently offered a position onboard. One of the next steps of course is the medical exam. I contacted the agency they recommend to get your medical exam complete. Said agency told me medical exam would cost me $863.

I'm American, and this is in the US. Part of the $863 is $125 for MMR vaccine. (My instructions indicate if I haven't been vaccinated in the past 10 years I need a booster shot.) I discovered my local health department can provide the vaccine for half the price, so that would save a tiny bit compared to the overall cost...

Unfortunately my previous (good) health insurance coverage expired days ago (just my luck). The new short term insurance I have now says only for medically necessary, which I doubt includes this comprehensive medical exam with blood tests and x-ray.

Also to note, I had blood and urine tests completed literally a month ago as part of my annual physical which included testing on half of the testing the cruise line is looking for. I'm hoping to not have to be re-tested for that...? ($$) I have a copy of the lab results. Would this suffice if I were to show the doctor who provides the exam?

This still leaves chest x-ray, stool testing, and drug/STD testing... as well as the regular part of the physical.

Any ideas to bring down the costs so I don't feel like I'm shelling out so much money? When I first heard practically $900, it was a bit of a shock! Is this cost normal for Americans without decent health insurance coverage? Is this a situation that I just need to suck it up? If so, please tell me -- it'll make me feel better I think.

Thank you so much for any tips or suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:00 PM
First Mate

Yep - it's not cheap. I once went to a 'walk-in' clinic and paid around $600 a few years ago. The Port of Miami medical clinic runs around $300 or so, I think . . . if you're anywhere near a coastal city that hosts cargo or cruise ships, look into the 'Seaman's Center' at the port and see if they can refer you to the clinic local ships use.

Not sure if your previous test will be ok . . . .
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Familiar Face

Wow! That's a huge cost. Really makes me apriciate my government in Australia, I had all of my costs covered by Medicare.
Good luck!
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

sz - Thanks for sharing your experience and for the tip!

Karen - Wow right back at you!!
Old December 7th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen97 View Post
Wow! That's a huge cost. Really makes me apriciate my government in Australia, I had all of my costs covered by Medicare.
Good luck!
May I ask how that worked for you? Princess cruises are asking me to go through medibank for my medical, and they are charging me $400. None covered by medicare.
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Familiar Face

Princess tends to refund a cost of medical exam to officers and some staff positions. Once you're there, you might want to fill up Crew Expense form in crew office, see what happens.
Old December 16th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by user999 View Post
Princess tends to refund a cost of medical exam to officers and some staff positions. Once you're there, you might want to fill up Crew Expense form in crew office, see what happens.
Thank you for that information. Very helpful. I'll definitely look into that!