Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Will I pass my medical?

I know this has come up here before but I'm concerened about my weight for my medical exam.

I haeve an interiew coming up (in Canada) for a Youth Staff position with CCL. If I need to get my medical exam, what are the BMI/weight concerns?

I saw somewhere that with a BMI oer 35, it is unacceptable; and with a BMI 30-35, you would do a physical fitness test....

I am overweight (and obese according to my BMI of 33), however still very mobile and active. I have worked with kids for years and have no issues being active all day, and would do fine in emergencies (I'm a great swimmer too).

Would a BMI of 33(ish) qualify me to work or is it too risky?
Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Familiar Face

No BMI came into it on the Disney medical. Have you already been informed if they're looking at BMI on your medical?? They usually just want to know that you're fit to work
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks! I'm applying to Disney as well.

I haven't heard that specifically, but have seen that mentioned on a bunch of websites about the Medicals. Maybe that's for another cruise line or country. (Or out of date)
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

They are not that choosy.

The only thing they are checking is that you are fully capable of physically doing your job and dont have some underlying health issue that they will end up having to treat while you are on board.
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

FYI - I just got a job offer as Youth Camp Staff with Carnival, through Cast-A-Way recruitment who I've been working with. Their email to me specifically says to pass a medical exam, a BMI of 30 or under is required; they provided a website for an online calculation for BMI. Mine is 32! Time to work it off if I choose to continue.....
Old May 15th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Familiar Face

Yep. In my region, East Europe, candidates are thoroughly investigated and required to produce not just fingerprints, but a palm prints too.
Old April 7th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckie585 View Post
I know this has come up here before but I'm concerened about my weight for my medical exam.

I haeve an interiew coming up (in Canada) for a Youth Staff position with CCL. If I need to get my medical exam, what are the BMI/weight concerns?

I saw somewhere that with a BMI oer 35, it is unacceptable; and with a BMI 30-35, you would do a physical fitness test....

I am overweight (and obese according to my BMI of 33), however still very mobile and active. I have worked with kids for years and have no issues being active all day, and would do fine in emergencies (I'm a great swimmer too).

Would a BMI of 33(ish) qualify me to work or is it too risky?
Hi there. I am also nervous about the BMI in my personal opinion it isnt an accurate representation at all- my BMI is high but I am tall and muscular....I also wanted to ask what your Cast-A-Way experience was like I have an interview next week and would love advice going in...Did you get the job if so how long till you were on a ship after your interview?
Old May 3rd, 2016, 02:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

When I was applying, my BMI was 37 and I was given offers of employment by 2 cruise lines, so no worries as long as the rest of your medical is good!
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwanfucius View Post
When I was applying, my BMI was 37 and I was given offers of employment by 2 cruise lines, so no worries as long as the rest of your medical is good!
Important note! Due to new international maritime laws the cruiselines have tightened the rules a LOT on the medicals. Carnival has a max of BMI 30 and Royal Caribbean of 35 - no exceptions so don't go spending lots of money on the medicals if you know you'll be over those limits
Old February 10th, 2017, 08:46 PM
Familiar Face

maybe there are some exceptions at least for Royal. Most positions are missing a lot of people and personally i have seen onboard people 35 to 39. Maybe got hired earlier but still if they got forced by MLC then would be contract complete.