Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old July 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile how bad is the money as a cook????

Hello Im looking for some advise. Ive been doing my research and I recognize that its hard work. I have been in the restaurant business over 20 yrs, waitress to cook, and i want to experience a new variety of food, etc. But I don't want to pack all my stuff up and put it into storage for crap money, and dig myself a deeper hole... I have been watching videos, and what better way to expand life and my desire for food... someone help plzzzzz. also what the best cruise line to work for. Ive applied to all of them... thanks!!!
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Familiar Face

No research can prepare you for 7 days work week, trainings and safety drills in your "off" time ... for 5-6-7 months in row.
There's no variety in food preparation either, it's more factory production work than cooking.
In my opinion, crap money is your last concern in that line of work.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Familiar Face

Without knowing your background in the kitchen, and what positions you've applied for I can't answer the money part. It's more than a full on job, and as user999 said, nothing can prepare you for working the long arduous hours required. I have NEVER been so tired in my life. Having said that I had a great time on board overall, even though I was hating life for the first month of my contract
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:01 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by user999 View Post
No research can prepare you for 7 days work week, trainings and safety drills in your "off" time ... for 5-6-7 months in row.
There's no variety in food preparation either, it's more factory production work than cooking.
In my opinion, crap money is your last concern in that line of work.
dear...

they always say if you work as a cook on a cruise, you'll always have to do a lot of hours/day, so what are the average hours in a day ? 12h to 15h or 15 to 18h or more ?
7/7
Old September 2nd, 2015, 04:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

As the previous posters mentioned its long hard work and not really an experience for learning the finer details of new cuisines. It is about delivering a very high volume of food at a fairly good standard that will meet most passengers expectations.
The only time you might learn something a little different is if you work in one of the very few high end speciality restaruants like central park 150 which has a celebrity chef, but that is one venue on hundreds of ships, everything else is about volume.
If your passion is cooking, making the move to ships to cook is not worth it. The only time I would say it is worthwhile is if you plan to work in a big hotel chain in the future on land, you could go to ships, work your way up, being a head chef on a cruise ship would look good experience on your cv if you were to work for a very big hotel. Other than that do it for the travelling and experience of life on a ship, not for the cooking.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 07:15 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwa View Post
dear...

they always say if you work as a cook on a cruise, you'll always have to do a lot of hours/day, so what are the average hours in a day ? 12h to 15h or 15 to 18h or more ?
7/7
Average of 12-14 hours per day