Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 11th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Exclamation Please read before posting! - Awaiting ship offer - Awaiting start date - Gap pool

Hi All,

As we get a lot of repeat questions from new starters asking how long it will take from getting a job offer to actually starting work on a cruise ship, I thought it would be useful to make a thread explaining how the process works:

Most crew are usually recruited through a hiring partner, but depending on the cruise line and the type of position, you may be hired directly via the cruise line. In either case, if you pass the interview, you will usually recieve a confirmation that you have been accepted for the role, and they will keep you on their records for when a position becomes available.

Its unlikely, at this stage, that you will recieve an actual letter of employment, or job contract, unless they have an urgent requirement for you to start immediately. What they will normally do is put you into the gap pool.

The gap pool, or talent pool, is a concept most cruise lines use to manage their new starters.

The gap pool exists as a means to transition new starters into the cruise line as and when they have a need for them.
Due to the fact that most crew are working on a contract basis, when one crew members contract finishes and they go home, the cruise line needs to arrange for another staff member to join the ship the day the other member of crew leaves.
Some departments are large with hundreds of crew, and others are very small with possibly only one or two staff. If you get a job offer working in a small department and the staff on board the ship are only halfway through a six month contract, then you will have a 3 month wait before a position may become available, as it will be 3 months until they sign off.
Large departments like housekeeping and food & beverage have hundreds of crew on each ship. Turnover is high so its very likely you will get a job offer soon.

The big cruise lines have a massive workforce across the fleet totalling tens of thousands, the majority of which are all on contracts of varying lengths so staffing requirements constantly change on a daily basis.
There are many factors at play, people "no showing" for new contracts, people quitting at short notice, people taking emergency leave for family issues, schedule changes, new ships being launched, departments being expanded or reduced. Because of this Cruise lines do not hire staff when they need them....they hire staff BEFORE they need them. With such a massive workforce they need to cover all possible situations.
As all of these factors change continuously, its pretty much impossible for a cruise line or hiring partner to predict when you will start. That is why they have the gap pool, to keep a wide selection of new starters, effectively on standby until a space becomes available. As soon as one becomes available, you can be sure the cruise line will contact you!

Here are the the key things you need to know:

• There is no set time period from being offered a job - it could be days, weeks or months.
  • You should keep in contact with your hiring partner regularly just to make sure they know you are still available and interested.
  • You will probably not recieve any kind of letter of employment (LOE) or job contract, until a position becomes available. This might make you feel a little nervious, not having anything in your hand other than an email from the hiring partner, but this is generally how it works. A cruise line will not give you a job contract until they actually need you.

For me personally, it was 5 months between getting confirmation of being accepted and actually starting my contract.

If you have any further questions on this subject, please post them here rather than start a new thread. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks taoist,

That is very useful detail information and real helped. it is about time some explain all about the " Gap Pool" process. As you know it is waiting game and it is very frustrating unknowing. Wish cruise line explain before offer a job.
I have a question what you should be doing in mean while waiting on ship assign from one cruise line? Is all the other cruise line has the same "Gap pool" process? And if the hiring partner have got you a job from one cruise line. they will not get you another ship ie RCCL , Azamara, celebrity.
Old August 11th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi,

Most cruise lines operate the gap pool, there may be exceptions as there is a lot of cruise lines, some of which are very small, but I think majority use this system.

If the hiring partner has got you a job from one cruise line, they will not look for another position. The hiring partner has to keep a good relationship with the cruise line, so once the cruise lines says they will take somebody, the hiring partner will not look for other opportunities for you, all you can do is wait.
Also companies like RCCL own many brands like Azamara, Pullmantur, Celebrity, so they will have database and record that you are "waiting to be assigned" to Celebrity, so they wont send you to one of the other companies.

What you can do is contact other hiring partners and see if they have any jobs with other cruise lines. Just dont apply two different hiring partner for a job with the same company, as that could make things difficult!
Old August 11th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks taoist,

Ya that make sense what you saying about the same company. We have to just wait a see when we get the call.
Old August 11th, 2015, 06:46 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks taoist,

Ya that make sense what you saying about the same company. We have to just wait a see when we get the call.
Old November 9th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Familiar Face

Question How long is the medical clearance then to get your MMD?

I been waiting 2 weeks I emailed my recruiter and called and still no word. It's only been one month since I applied so it's probably a wait. I just thought that the medical process was quick they check the results and BAM your in unless they want further info. Should I call my recruiter or wait until the end of Novemeber I don't want to be a pain I'm sure she got my email and voicemail she's probably waiting as well.
Old November 13th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerncross View Post
I just thought that the medical process was quick they check the results and BAM your in
BAM your in

I like that, but you couldnt be further from the truth! You might get lucky and be the person who applies just at the right time for a slot to come up, but for most people thats just not the case.
You have to wait, most likely you will have wait in silence wondering whats going on, scratching your head, will I get a job soon, or will I be waiting around for many months to come.
All you can do, is occasionaly fire off an email to your hiring partner and ask them for updates, sometimes they may not even know as they dont see how the cruise lines schedule the staff. Usually the cruise line will just tell them, ok we are ready to take someone next week, and the hiring partner will get in touch with you.
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Trying to get hired onto Carnival as Entertainment Staff

Hi everyone!!!!

I am starting the process of applying to Carnival as an Activity Host and was hoping to get some ideas as I need to submit an audition tape to demonstrate the following points:

Demonstration of microphone skills, on/off stage
Demonstrate ability to provide high energy and fun entertainment
Demonstrate stage personality
Interaction with audience

Excerpt from ENTERTAINMENT STAFF - Carnival Entertainment

While I have done various activities that showed these skills to some degree, I have never video taped them and trying to think of an idea that would incorporate them. If anyone has/does work for Carnival and can help give some pointers, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!
Old February 20th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Familiar Face

Default cruise ship joiners

Latest Cruise ship joiners from Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro ...

Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:46 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Question

Hi I am new here! I have been in the gap pool for about a month. I understand the concept of it. What I don't understand and no one really been clear about it is the following. Do you guarantee a job once you are in the gap pool for the future or no ? Thanks in advance !
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Waiting call

Hi all, I have received the LOE 4 months ago , but I'm waiting yet.
some lifeguard waited several months to be called like me now?
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Gap Pool

Hi All

This is kumar here from india , I have been selected for cruise it's been 8 month now in F&B department, but after 8 month now hiring partners says your file have been moved to Gap Pool so you have to wait for some more time , so my question is , is it really possible to hire a person after 8 month they moved the file to "gap pool" is there still any chance of getting job or No
Old July 12th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Waiting offer letter!

Hello taoist,
My boyfriend and I have skype interview with royal cruise line on 26th of may for sport staff. We were told we're both approved by out recruiter by phone. My confirmation letter arrived on 21st of June whereas my boyfriend didn't got anything till now. During his skype interview the interviewer could see that he can postulate for a cruise director or DJ as well. My question is, do you think that he has to wait or turn the page? It's quite frustrating as per our recruiter he is on the pending list .
Need advise from you.
Thank you in advance.
Waiting impatiently for your reply.
Old July 13th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Familiar Face

he can not go as cruise director without work on royal before unless he has worked on another company as CD. If he apply for sports staff, then its sport staff.

he didnt got any assignment yet because they don't have available positions now. it seems they need more females for sports, instead males. The department needs to have a ballance of them, because they don't do only sport and done, they also participate to the parades and other activities of cruise division.

if he wants he can still ask for other position but this will "reset" the timer.

keep in mind that even if he get a contract nobody can tell,, if you go to the same ship.
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Reply to hellcine

Hello hellcine,
Thank you for your reply,
He was working as Assistant sports and leisure Manager without anyone at the head as Sports Manager in one of the top 5stars hotel in MRU. So do you think he has any chance ?
Thank you
Old July 15th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Hellcine

Letter of offer is that you have been accepted, but I think he might got that as everybody does. Don't you think ?
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Familiar Face

after i passed the final interview, i got the offer letter in their website. Then i filled the form, filled the personal data form and both of them shows completed. But so far no onboard co-ordinator has contacted me. I'am unsure what is happening. Whom should i talk, to get me documents ready? Is this normal? i accepted offer letter on 12/07/16 and today already is 20/07/16!
Old July 31st, 2017, 01:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default waiting job employment

hi,. I would like to ask, I have passed for final interview RCCL. and got job offer through C-TRAC and accepted.now I have submitted some document such as passport,Seaman Book's, STCW, Police clearance,C1D visa,
my question is how long they will approved all my document through C-TRAC?
what next process? and how long it will take issued letter of Employment?.

Thank you in advance
Old August 16th, 2017, 07:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Ketut,
I have a question for you ,maybe you can help me.
I have received the offer letter and background check on my c-track page , but I can't open those files , they have a circle yellow sing next and if I go with the mouse over them it say me : file not submitted.
it's normal process or something go wrong?
thank you
Old November 15th, 2017, 03:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Unhappy

hi all
these are really good to know . make less flastration for new crew.
they never explained this GAP POOL system clealy because they know it is not so good system to tell. trickey recruitement ,isn't it?in my case, they said really URGET position. and I have done every things on schedule.then they said no postion at the moment.
I beg you pardon!!!!!
feel bad and pay me back money and time.and my another employment!!!
that's what I feel...
but all seafarers have lights and in some casies are against for it. not all of them.but my case is problem matter
Old March 5th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoist View Post
Hi All,

As we get a lot of repeat questions from new starters asking how long it will take from getting a job offer to actually starting work on a cruise ship, I thought it would be useful to make a thread explaining how the process works:

Most crew are usually recruited through a hiring partner, but depending on the cruise line and the type of position, you may be hired directly via the cruise line. In either case, if you pass the interview, you will usually recieve a confirmation that you have been accepted for the role, and they will keep you on their records for when a position becomes available.

Its unlikely, at this stage, that you will recieve an actual letter of employment, or job contract, unless they have an urgent requirement for you to start immediately. What they will normally do is put you into the gap pool.

The gap pool, or talent pool, is a concept most cruise lines use to manage their new starters.

The gap pool exists as a means to transition new starters into the cruise line as and when they have a need for them.
Due to the fact that most crew are working on a contract basis, when one crew members contract finishes and they go home, the cruise line needs to arrange for another staff member to join the ship the day the other member of crew leaves.
Some departments are large with hundreds of crew, and others are very small with possibly only one or two staff. If you get a job offer working in a small department and the staff on board the ship are only halfway through a six month contract, then you will have a 3 month wait before a position may become available, as it will be 3 months until they sign off.
Large departments like housekeeping and food & beverage have hundreds of crew on each ship. Turnover is high so its very likely you will get a job offer soon.

The big cruise lines have a massive workforce across the fleet totalling tens of thousands, the majority of which are all on contracts of varying lengths so staffing requirements constantly change on a daily basis.
There are many factors at play, people "no showing" for new contracts, people quitting at short notice, people taking emergency leave for family issues, schedule changes, new ships being launched, departments being expanded or reduced. Because of this Cruise lines do not hire staff when they need them....they hire staff BEFORE they need them. With such a massive workforce they need to cover all possible situations.
As all of these factors change continuously, its pretty much impossible for a cruise line or hiring partner to predict when you will start. That is why they have the gap pool, to keep a wide selection of new starters, effectively on standby until a space becomes available. As soon as one becomes available, you can be sure the cruise line will contact you!

Here are the the key things you need to know:

• There is no set time period from being offered a job - it could be days, weeks or months.
  • You should keep in contact with your hiring partner regularly just to make sure they know you are still available and interested.
  • You will probably not recieve any kind of letter of employment (LOE) or job contract, until a position becomes available. This might make you feel a little nervious, not having anything in your hand other than an email from the hiring partner, but this is generally how it works. A cruise line will not give you a job contract until they actually need you.

For me personally, it was 5 months between getting confirmation of being accepted and actually starting my contract.

If you have any further questions on this subject, please post them here rather than start a new thread. Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default No show after Principal interview

Hi, I have been interviewed twice on Skype security guard position. Principal interviewer told me to wait for third interview with Hiring Manager. But I am still waiting since 3 weeks there is no reply. I am really very confuse what to do? M I selected or not? Please tell me what should I do.
Thanks
Sudeep Thapa
Old June 13th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default waiting for assignment

Thanks for the info
But i want to ask that i got offer letter from rcl and now waiting for assignment and they told me that it will take 3 to 6 month.
So i wanna ask that if i gof offer letter it means that surely they will give me assignment in 3-6 month right ?
And can you also tell me that all the money i will spend my c1d visa ,seaman's book etc. So is it payback by company later or not.
Please reply me
Thanks
Old August 20th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Awaiting ship offer

Hi,
I was already sign my offer letter 2 months before for cook but I didn't got any response from my recruiters and rccl.
If any one know how much time they will take to send me a letter of employment? For a cook position
Old September 5th, 2018, 02:28 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivang View Post
Hi,
I was already sign my offer letter 2 months before for cook but I didn't got any response from my recruiters and rccl.
If any one know how much time they will take to send me a letter of employment? For a cook position

I have been waiting for 3 months yet no hiring partner contacted me. It's very much confusing.
Old September 8th, 2018, 01:23 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Did you applied for a cook?
Old October 8th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Still awaiting

It has been 4 months I signed my offer letter and I has been waiting for my ship assignment.
One of my friend he applied after me in RCL and he get his assignment today for the same post. It's really confusing. So, it's mean I'm not in queue.