Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers
Register Forgot Password?

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Mmc card turnaround

How long did it take to get your mmc card?
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2017, 10:08 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgoladii View Post
How long did it take to get your mmc card?
Mine took 8 months - in Honolulu.
My case was expedited as a Senior Officer.

The Coast Guard informed me that they had found a "serious criminal event" while investigating my past. They claimed that my application might be refused based on this criminal activity. After some correspondence with them, they informed me that this serious criminal event was a speeding ticket in 1968. They went on to tell me that it was quite serious, as I was cited for driving 35 mph in a 25 mph traffic zone.
This happened so long ago that I had forgotten it. I did ask the Coast Guard if there was a record of my paying the fine for the traffic violation. They checked, and informed me that I had paid, and there were no further complications from my "criminal activity".
After more investigation, they turned up nothing else in my past. They then informed me that if I still wanted the MMC, I must write a sincere letter of apology for my past criminal behavior, including an explanation of how I had rehabilitated myself to avoid any future criminal activity. This letter had to be stamped by a Notary Public, and sent to the Coast Guard by Registered Mail.

I followed the instructions, wrote a heart-rending 2 page letter, explaining my criminal past and rehabilitation, had it notarized, and sent off by registered mail.
In the letter, I also pointed out that as a Hotel Officer, I did not plan on driving anything while onboard the ship.

A few weeks later the Coast Guard sent me a congratulatory letter, accompanied by my MMC.

Do you ever wonder where your hard-earned tax dollars go?
Old April 22nd, 2017, 12:11 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Oh wow, that's crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Mine took 8 months - in Honolulu.
My case was expedited as a Senior Officer.

The Coast Guard informed me that they had found a "serious criminal event" while investigating my past. They claimed that my application might be refused based on this criminal activity. After some correspondence with them, they informed me that this serious criminal event was a speeding ticket in 1968. They went on to tell me that it was quite serious, as I was cited for driving 35 mph in a 25 mph traffic zone.
This happened so long ago that I had forgotten it. I did ask the Coast Guard if there was a record of my paying the fine for the traffic violation. They checked, and informed me that I had paid, and there were no further complications from my "criminal activity".
After more investigation, they turned up nothing else in my past. They then informed me that if I still wanted the MMC, I must write a sincere letter of apology for my past criminal behavior, including an explanation of how I had rehabilitated myself to avoid any future criminal activity. This letter had to be stamped by a Notary Public, and sent to the Coast Guard by Registered Mail.

I followed the instructions, wrote a heart-rending 2 page letter, explaining my criminal past and rehabilitation, had it notarized, and sent off by registered mail.
In the letter, I also pointed out that as a Hotel Officer, I did not plan on driving anything while onboard the ship.

A few weeks later the Coast Guard sent me a congratulatory letter, accompanied by my MMC.

Do you ever wonder where your hard-earned tax dollars go?