Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

Old May 27th, 2003, 05:39 PM
ezinvt

Default Low-carbing onboard

How difficult will it be to maintain my Atkins diet (Low carbohydrates, high protein and fat) on the Celebrity Mercury on a 7 day Alaska cruise? By September I should be allowing myself around 35 carbs a day, but I know for this cruise I will be over that. Will the ship's galley help out at all? Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Low-carbing onboard

Contact your TA or the cruise line. They will do their best to accomodate you as to your diet needs.
SSaFWs..ED
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've done low carbs on cruises and lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks. It's easy. You can have all the meat & fish you want. And salads with all of those yummy dressing and the soups. After the first night my waiter knew I didn't want the bread or the starch so I wasn't tempted by them being on my plate. And there are always sugar free desserts, like sugar free chocolate moose.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Low-carbing onboard

There are sugar free desserts?? On all lines? I'll be on Princess in November and I was also wondering about the menu for low carb programs. The only temptation for me IS the dessert.
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Yes, on every Princess cruise I've been there's been a sugar free dessert available each night (and lunch time too if I recall...)
Old August 1st, 2003, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Well, I have been on Atkins for about 5 months now, and to date have lost 62 pounds...but I just can't see the sense in even trying to maintain a low-carb lifestyle while on a cruise.

You must be a much better person than I, being around all of that wonderful food and not eating any would make me miserable...which I don't want to do.

I have cheated (maybe binged is a better word) for 4 days once and it only took me 2 days to get back into ketosis. My suggestion is LIVE IT UP! (I know I will in December for my cruise)

If you are going to run with the big dogs, you had better learn to pee in the tall grass!
Old September 1st, 2003, 09:50 PM
Beginner

I live the low carb lifestyle along with my DH and a lot of my extended family and friends. Makes it easier when we get together b/c everyone brings low carb eats. In real life I can rid my home of foods I don't want to be eating. On a cruise the temptation will be there. There is plenty of low carb foods to choose on a cruise, so if you are pumped up and determined to stay with the low carb way of eating I think you can do it. Eat your eggs, meat, cheese, salad and such from the buffet at lunch and breakfast . At dinner ask the waiter to not bring the bread and have sugar free dessert. Myself? I'm weak. My weakness on cruises is the bread and desserts. I plan to eat whatever I want and not feel guilty b/c the cruise will be over with way too soon and I'll jump back into real life. I say try low carbing onboard but if you don't keep it up all week don't beat yourself up and feel guilty, just get back to it when you get home. I'll be on the Mercury 9/14. Have a great cruise.
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:25 AM
Todd R

Default Re: Re: Low-carbing onboard

I've been doing Atkins for about 4 months now. Last month, we were on the Grand Princess. I had decided to make an effort to keep the carbs low but that I was not going to not eat something if it was what I wanted. After all, I was on a cruise (and was there anyway I was going to be able to pass on the Princess Birthday Cake!).

Yes, I gained 7 pounds. According to a lady I met in port one afternoon, she claims that if you can gain less than 8 pounds on a 7 day cruise that you're doing very well!

On the Monday after returning home I was back on Atkins (Induction) and that week I lost 9 pounds.

My advice, keep to the low carb lifestyle if you can but if you can't (or don't!) then get back onto induction as soon as you return.

Have a great cruise
Old November 26th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Passenger

Got back from 14 days on Spirit. Weighed 197 the day we left and weighed 208 Monday after return. That was 11/17. Today 204. I stayed away from the pastries, soft cream ice cream machine and non-sugar free desserts. My downfall was frozen drinks and Corona. Me and Doc Atkins are back at it.

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old November 26th, 2003, 02:04 PM
christine fischer

I think it's easier to do lo carb on a cruise than at home. Someone else has prepared everything for you, right down to the sugar free deserts. I don't know about Princess, but Carnival's breads, pastries, etc aren't very good any way. I'd much rather fill up on lobster and prime rib. Cheat a little, but only on the things that are really worth it (i.e., don't stuff yourself on mediocre bread or overly sweet drinks).
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:59 AM
tazee

i too am on the low carb diet. my doctor says i can treat myself one day a week with whatever i want. so on the cruise i plan to indulge a little each day. not go overboard though ( no pun intended lol) . good luck dieters. i have lost 20 lbs so far and 10 to go!!!happy cruising and happy thanksgiving!! Taz
Old November 27th, 2003, 09:02 AM
tazee

i agree with you big dog. a shame not to at least sample the goodies. i plan to walk off some calories anyway while on board and sight seeing. i feel i have earned it!! taz
Old December 8th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good to know that there are options for us low-carbers on board. I too will try to stay away from the breads and such but no way am I missing out on frozen pina coladas!