Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Default Tofu Smoothie

I have this for breakfast every day. Believe it or not, it really does keep me satisfied until lunchtime.

All measurements are approximate. When I make it, I just eyeball amounts until it looks right.

The great thing about this recipe is that it can be adjusted and varied according to your individual tastes and desires. This is the BASIC recipe. Suggested additions appear below.

----------------------------------

TOFU SMOOTHIE

1 banana
1/5 block tofu*
1/2 c. orange juice

Blend until smooth. Add:

2 or 3 ice cubes
1/2 c. frozen fruit (any kind)

Blend until smooth. If smoothie is too thick, add more orange juice. If too thin, add more ice cubes or frozen fruit. Serves 1.

------------------------------------

I keep it interesting by varying the type of frozen fruit I add. My favorites are raspberries, peaches, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. You can even mix fruits for different taste sensations. It's important that the fruit be frozen to give the drink the right consistency.

During the first step, I also add about 1 tsp. wheat germ and 1 tsp. ground flaxseed, but these are optional and give it a grainy texture. You can also add 1 tsp. honey if it is not sweet enough. When I make it I also add about 1/2 c. vanilla yogurt. You can even substitute vanilla soymilk or regular milk for the orange juice; it gives it a creamier taste.

* About Tofu

Tofu can be found in the produce section of most supermarkets. I use water-packed tofu; the brand I like is Nasoya. Some brands add a definite "taste" to the drink (not necessarily a good thing), but the Nasoya is fairly bland and easily disguised.

The block of tofu is about 4" by 6". I just cut off a slice every morning, I don't measure, just eyeball. Since it is waterpacked you will need to keep it in water; I have a glass storage bowl with a lid that works, but an empty cool-whip bowl works as well. Just make sure it has a lid. When you use the tofu, drain it and then replace the water every day. It's very easy.

Tofu comes in several textures, ranging from silken, soft, firm, and extra firm. I've found that soft is the best texture for a smoothie. The silken just falls apart.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2003, 09:23 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Tofu Smoothie

Thanks Michelle. I can't wait to try it with soymilk and strawberries. Sounds good and really healthy. Denise

Fantasy Dec 2 Big Easy to Mx