Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Shane. A

Default train travel to port

Does anyone have a comment regarding train travel. My partner and I will be traveling by rail for the first time this month to New Orleans for a cruise aboard the Conquest. I prefer to fly, but Amtrack rates were so reasonable, we decided to try it.
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:47 AM
jnj

Default Re: train travel to port

Don't know how far you are from New Orleans. We took Amtrak last year and were about 5 hours late arriving in NO from Chicago. We were just after the tropical storms and had a couple re-routes around Memphis. If you can, leave an extra day in between arriving on Amtrak and cruise departure just to be safe... I think there's a link on their site that lets you track when the train arrived (or I know you can call and ask what the on time percentage is).

Cabs at the Amtrak station arrive in time for the trains and we thought were reasonable (we stayed off Burbon St). It is a very small station and is shared with Greyhound, so don't expect glamour or lots of amenities. There was a Subway, Gift Shop and restrooms.
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Captain

We are booked on Amtrak to New Orleans in November. Have made the trip before and yes we were late.....but only 2 hrs. Seems trains are known for being late.....but it is a nice trip. AND CHEAP right now. Not much to see until afte you hit Memphis...but it's nightitme anyway....the trip from Mephis to N.O. is cool...especially the train going right thru the middle of the swamps.
Enjoy
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Took train from Orlando FL to San Diego in Sept. Sleeping compartment VERY small and standard means goingto toilet down the corridor, shower downstairs.

Food included when you take sleeper, was reasonably good, but timing was sonfused as the space was too small for the number of people using it.

We were 7 HOURS LATE arriving at San Diego, so it was good that we went two days early, would certainly say to allow at least a day early even if you are only going to N.O.
better to pay for a hotel room than miss the ship.