Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:39 AM
darlenenjake

Default Re: worst food

Um, I'm trying to think as we just got back what the worst thing I tried was. I can say I was most disapointed by the midnight gala buffet. I was SOOOO tired and sick but I fought it to be able to see the display, which was very nice, but the food was sort of a let down. Maybe it was an off night but I didn't find one thing, OTHER than the cakes, that stood out. AND the coconut chicken I think it was, YUCK! It tasted like what lemon wood polish smells like. Ewwwww.... Oh yeah there was one dining room meal I didn't like it was the Beef Wellington, with Goose Liver. OMG! Lol
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:20 PM
cruisingbear

Majesty of the Seas!!!! The food lacks flavor, steaks terrible, desserts nothing special,
veggies undercooked, and breads dry. Not up to cruising standards.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Since I've from N'awlins, I am quite picky about food that is under-seasoned. The ONLY complaint I have with any food (from 3 different cruiselines) is the lack of seasoning in many items.

I think the problem arises when folks order entrees they are not familiar with. Example:
Beef Wellington. On Carnival, it is absolutely delicious! It's traditionally made using a filet mignon, a very thin coating of pate' (goose liver), and a flaky pastry crust.

I'm a retired Food & Beverage director for hotels, as well as retired caterer. I rarely find food that is not acceptable. BUT then, I do not eat at the buffet. Buffet food is buffet food, period. I prefer being 'pampered', taking all three meals each day in the dining room.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:43 PM
David Starkey

Beef dishes on the Legend of the Sea's....I think the beef was spoiled or "aged" too much.
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:29 PM
brousw1a

Default Re: Re: worst food

LMAO! Dude! Beef Wellington HAS pâté in it. That's like complaining about ice cream being bad because it has cream in it!

("Ewwwww..... Oh yeah there was one dining room desert I didn't like it was the ice cream, with cream! OMG! Lol)
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

On my last cruise on Carnival Spirit we found a cake called "bleu cheese cake". It looked heavenly but just try and eat it!!! AWFUL!!!! Everything else was very good.

Cruznut2

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old June 9th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Passenger

thanx for the heads up. we leave on the 27th of june...on the legend of the sea's.

Post Edited (06-09-04 23:50)
Old June 21st, 2004, 02:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

The worst thing I ever had on a cruise ship was a pasta dish on the Grand Princess. I swear it was canned dogfood warmed up and plopped on a bowl of pasta. I shudder just to remember it!! The smell was terrible. Now, when we get something we don't particularly care for, one of us will "bark" and we know it means don't eat it!.

I also had frog legs on Crystal Harmony once. It was half a frog (cut at the waist with feet still attached)... steamed (and slimey)... placed on a white plate with a few "garnishes" around the edge. It was hilarious and disgusting all at once.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: worst food

can anyone tell me and all those who dont know... what is JOHNNY ROCKETS

Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:12 PM
Mike S

While the food on the Golden Princess was not "bad" portions were small and they tried to make the dishes too fancy. I would not do free style again as the waitstaff does not get to know you and you often have to wait to be seated.
Old June 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Donalee

Well my only complaint in this department is that the entrees focus on meat. If you want vegetables for lunch or dinner you have to make a special order. I wish the cruise lines would offer more vegetarian entrees or provide a selection of vegetables that you can order as a side dish. Sometimes I just want a "vegetable plate" - potatoes, beans, brocoli, squash, corn etc. A "vegetable plate" is a foreign language on the cruise - you have to talk to the maitre d and order in advance to get something like this. The only exception is Crystal - if you want a vegetable plate just tell your waiter and voila you will get what you want.
Old June 26th, 2004, 02:57 PM
mikefast

We were on the NCL Sea last December. Our biggest disappointment was lobster night. We each got 1 1/2 small tails. One of the lobster tails I got was O.K., the half was terrible. My wifes was inedible. Other than that the food in the restaurant was quite good considering it was one of the lower priced cruises. The buffet on deck 9 was just O.K. Very crowded, and really not much variety. But for the price we paid for the cruise, We really can't complain.
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jonny Rockets is a restaurant line that is being introduced on the RCL ships. They basically serve "Teen Food"; fries, pizza, that kind of thing
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
First Mate

If Johnny Rockets on the ship is anything like the few we have in northern California, it's a pretty good hamburger joint. Great sandwiches and shakes too.
Have a great cruise all!!

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:42 PM
ESS

Grand Princess had one dish that was a major disappointment. I ordered the "Beef Wellington" and it turned out to be left over roast beef with gravy. Plus breakfast in the GP was ice cold.
One of many good things about the food on the GP - the substitute steak was great and the substitute NY cheesecake was better than most regular desserts!
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Admiral

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but Brilliance of the Seas had the best french fries I've ever had.
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Honeybear

The food on the SENSATION was pretty good. I was hoping they would run out of rice and use plain old potatoes but they never did. . That was my fault, I could have ask for potatoes but didn't.
If you don't like what they are serving ask for something else, but please ask nicely. We don't all have to like the same things but we shouldn't blame the poor waitress for it either.
As far as getting what you pay for, I think that is out of line. McDonalds sounds better than a couple of these posts and I 'know' we all paid more than McDonald prices for our cruises. Just my thoughts.
Old October 14th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Mark EM

I was on the Naviagtor of the Seas this past August (between hurricanes <whew>).
The food was generally acceptable all around. I'm from New York and it seemed to be on the level of a top Diner, and that was fine with me.
The Windjammer actually had better food for lunch than the main dining room, in my opinion. For breakfast, on the days we had shore excursions, the oatmeal was "just right" and you can get eggs cooked to order at the omlette station.
I don't know what folks thing they deserve to eat on a cruise; maybe it is the fault of the television commercials advertising the Cruise Lines.
Old October 26th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Shan

I FOUND THE CELEBRITY FOOD TO BE EXTREMELY DELICIOUS!!
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Passenger

I thought the dining room food on the Sensation was very good. Buffet was okay, nothing special though. I don't know how anyone could find the food on Sensation bad in the dining room--everything I ordered was good to great. I think some people don't know what good food tastes like!!!! They are so used to bland garbage from chains such as Olive Garden, Applesbee's, etc.
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Passenger

The "Mexican" restaurant on board the NCL Dawn. I can't think the chef had ever been near a real Mexican restaurant before, as none of the food resembled anything authentic. It was really just bad.
Old October 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Jeanne&Ellis

My DH never turns down food, but on NCL Wind, he had ordered a lamb dish (he loves lamb) but had to turn it back and get something else. It was so greasy and looked terrible.

Old October 30th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Ranch Steak, on Serenade of the Seas.

Yes, I had been warned, read the bad comments but like the inquisitive child who is told not put their finger in the light socket I had to do it. I found out that all the negative comments were true. It was awful; over cooked, overly marinated and cold. At least I ordered a back up at the same time and was very glad I did. It at least saved the waiter from having to go back to the galley to make up for my "curiosity".

BTW: Our waiter suggested my backup. :-)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:59 AM
Susan Hofer

We have been on 5 Celebrity cruises & 1 RCL and I have to admit that the food on RCL was acceptable but nowhere near the quality of Celebrity. However one of my cousins was turned off by the food on RCL calling it "too fancy" and "Sunday Dinner every night". This was her first and probably last cruise. So perception is everything. I haven't always liked everything I've ordered but I've never had a meal that was cold or inedible. And I've certainly never walked away hungry.
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM
David Starkey

Food quality, selection, taste and service in the dining room on Costa ships just is now so bad we opted to eat off the ship to get some decent food.

The line used to have good food when it really was Italian staffed(kitchen and dining staff).
We have sailed 6 different Costa ships in the past. But will not do them again.
Old December 25th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Passenger

So far, out of 6 cruises, the worst food was on the Radiance. Nasty, overcooked beef. Gluey gelatin based desserts. Tiny soggy little langostinos swimming in some oily concoction...this was their version of "lobster tails."

Great food on the Carnival Pride and Conquest. Leaving in 7 days to try the food on Carnival Miracle. Hope its as good.
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Passenger

The low end passengers always is a worse distraction for me rather than bad food. I prefer to sit facing the wall and not have to look at all the dregs and ferry boat crowds. Fellow dining room table mates can make or break a cruise dinner. It is hard to enjoy a rack of lamb when the table mates are wearing gang banger clothes and baseball hats. For that reason, I try to eat facing away from the crowd.
Old January 16th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Passenger

sorry, wrong board

Carnival Pride 3/02
Carnival Legend 3/03
Enchantment of the Seas 12/03
Star Princess 03/05
Sapphire Princess 11/05
Coral Princess 04/06