Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2003, 10:03 AM
dee-lynn

Default worst food

ok...so we've heard about the best food experiences...what about your worst food experiences??? Also, can anyone give me a dowload or copy of the menus aboard the Brilliance of the Seas? What items are included in the omlette bar? THANX and Happy Cruising!!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:34 AM
kar06

Default Re: worst food

Dulce De Leche cheesecake on RCI...it sounded and looked delicious, but it was awful. Had a consistency more like a heavy bread and had absolutely no flavor.
Old December 8th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Yeoman

Pasta dishes on the Brilliance of the Seas...the spices were all off.
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Norwegian Dream---- The food was dreadful unless you ate at Le Bistro at an extra charge, then it was quite good.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 04:50 PM
cruisin

My husband I and I were not crazy about most of the menu items on the Carnival Imagination, just too fancy for us so we had a steak-which was still cold and slimy in the middle-yuck!
Old December 23rd, 2003, 11:05 AM
Admiral

The Sovereign of the Seas could stand an upgrade in my opinion. Although it was better than, say, eating at Red Lobster, it doesn't compare to other lines. And there was no egg cooking station in the Windjammer Cafe' which might have turned me off on their food quality to begin with.

Regards,
Thomas
Old December 25th, 2003, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

Unlike Chuck Palm hubby and I were generally pleased with the food on the NCL Dream. We especially liked the rotating dining room breakfast menu, the special off menu "treat" found in the dine room at lunch and the real weber BBQ deck lunch on sea days. And we do agree, Le Bistro was marvelous and after over 30 years of cruising I have serious objections to paying "extra" for any meal on a cruise ship.
Old December 28th, 2003, 01:08 PM
HeySailor

I know freestyle cruising's not for everyone, but I don't mind paying extra on NCL for the specialty restaurants because the fares in general are so low. You get what you pay for, and for $399 a week I think a decent room, transportation and basic (not extraordinary) food are about all I should expect. I don't drink alcohol or soda, don't gamble and don't hang out at the spa, so spending a little extra on a special meal doesn't bother me.

So I'm NCL's target demographic--the pay-for-what-you-use passenger! (Except that my non-drinking, non-gambling status means I cost them money instead of making it for them! I should be careful or they may unbook me from future cruises!)

But the topic of this thread was...oh, yeah. The "shrimp etouffee" on the NCL Sky was pretty scary. Serves me right for trying to eat buffet food, which in my opinion NEVER works for a crowd that size.
Old January 2nd, 2004, 07:57 AM
skirat201

Princess Grand, what can I say YUK, YUK, YUK!!! I don't know were these people come from thinking princess food is good. If given the choice, I'd rather eat at McDonalds than eat that slop again!
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:32 PM
starfighter

I'm absolutely sure that the worst food I have to endure is the food I eat when I'm not on a cruise. Other than that, my only complain in the food department is the undercooked stringy green beans on almost every ship I've ever been on. I actually choked on them a couple of times and I should have known something was wrong before hand, when I was unable to cut them with my knife.
Old January 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM
donr

Default Re: Re: worst food

One of the most logical and realistic comments about food. Wish more people had this kind of outlook on food - and all other aspects of cruising. People who rant about not getting five star food, service or accommodations when they pay a two or three star price should save up their money and go on five star cruises. IMHO
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Beth L.

When I went on Majesty of the Seas back in 1997, the food was bad at the Windjammer Cafe. I hope they have improved since then.

March 13-20 2004 Navigator of the Seas -- Only 2 more months!
Old January 12th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Admiral

Pumpkin pie on the Fantasy...but we were warned! My son ordered it and our waiter *tried* to talk him out of it!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Passenger

Windjammer on Adventures of the Sea-NO IMAGINATION-same thing day after day.
Enjoyed the food on NCL Sun a lot more. Had to pay $10.00 extra for certain resturants but we did not mind. Love Freestyle cruising
Old January 14th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Duster

The buffet on the Carnival Holiday. Almost everything is fried and greasy! In contrast, the food in the dining room was simply wonderful! 5 stars!
Old January 15th, 2004, 06:40 PM
bigboy

I have to agree with donr above. You get what you pay for. So for the budget cruises like NCL , RCL, HAL, Carnival et al, the hands down consistently worst food you will ever experience would have to be RCL. I even had my waiter apoligize every time he brought the meal. Honest to God I never complained to him before he started apoligizing. No more cheap cruise lines for me!
Old January 18th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Passenger

The souffles on the Grand Princess...it looked like I opened up a can of cat food on my plate!
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Leeia

Well, we had pretty good food on RCCL's Brilliance.

However, their pasta dishes in the main dining room were consistently terrible. Sauces looked and tasted weird. Pasta in the alternative restaurant (Portofino)was very good..can't quite figure that one out.
Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: worst food

Windjammer on Sovereign of the Seas. Main Dining room good. Best food I ever had was on the Big Red Boat. Went out of business, no can compare to the yet. I keep trying though.
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM
starfighter

The price of the cruise and the quality of the food have nothing to do with each other. The most expensive cruise that I was ever on, had cuisine that was okay, but nothing special. The best cuisine I ever had on a cruise, was on what was referred to as a budget cruise. I'm not naming ships or cruiselines because I don't think that would be fair to them, since it's just my opinion. It's all about the chef and his staff's abilities in the kitchen; not about how much the cruise cost you. You could try to justify the cost of an expensive cruise by thinking the cuisine is better, but that doesn't make it so, not in reality anyway.
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Passenger

As a mother of 3, personally any meal that someone else shops for, prepares, serves to me and cleans up the mess... is 5 stars in my book. Seems to me if people expect 5 star hotel or restaurants they should stay at a 5 star hotel and visit 5 star resturants...as for me and mine, if something tastes a wee bit too weird for us, we'll tell the waiter that we changed out minds and could we have something else. He'll just go back to the kitchen and get me something else....
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:44 PM
First Mate

I totally agree with Lynnie
Old February 12th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Passenger

Darn after spending a few days and nights in the local county jail and eating that gruel, I think the cruise food will be heaven. Ha, Ha, Ha,
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Beth --

Let me know how the food is on Navigator of the Seas -- a group of us are going in January. (Watch out, rumor has it that Johnny Rockets is "testing" a $3.95 cover charger per person!)
Old March 21st, 2004, 11:51 AM
Amy04

Worst food on RCCL Explorer - Caesar salad! How can you not get a caesar salad right? Oh yeah...and the Brownie madness...it was awful and kind of stale.
Everything else was excellent!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Admiral

I agree with Chuck -- Norwegian Dawn. Over cooked and under seasoned unless you dined at the Bistro for a hefty extra charge. It's a shame because the ship is beautiful and the staff is warm and friendly.

Anne Campbell
Editor
CruiseMates

www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 07:16 AM
glalonzo

CARNIVAL AND CELEBRITY..............THE WORST
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Passenger

img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=06&year=2004&day=27&hour=16:00[/img

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Judy T

As far as the difference between the main dining room and the restaruant (portofino's) is about 1500 people. The main dining room serves 1500 people at one time and Portofino's serves maybe 30. If you ever want to see how difficult this must be...trying standing in a kitchen that serves 1500 people. I am amazed that they can accomplish this. If you are unhappy with that particular meal...send it back and get something else. You can get a bad meal in a 5 star restaruant.
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:59 PM
DelitaE

We are going on a cruise in May on the Norwegian Sea. Anybody know about the food on that ship. Thanks we can't hardly wait for the cruise.