Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Low Carb Choices

Hi All,

I'm joining the thread late, but here's my $.02...

1) low carbing, done right, can still make your cholesterol go up, overall, but the ratio is the key, and that is usually extremely good, even if both good and bad cholesterol went up a bit. Also, 3 months is not long enough to tell... do it for 6 months and then a year, and you'll see the overall numbers come down.

2) reddiwhip may say it is legal at 1 tsp, but that is 1 level tsp, a measuring spoon-- has anyone ever had that?
Real whipped cream is soooo much yummier, and you can sweeten it with whatever you want (splenda, stevia, whatever floats your boat, ha ha)-- if you use a cannister thing, it lasts 2 weeks (I just whip it fresh, but whatever).

BTW, my DF (soon to be DH) and I have been LC (atkins) since Jan 1 2003--he's lost 105+ lbs, and I've lost almost 60 lbs... Not too much more to go, but this cruise (Paradise, Carnival, June 27, western carribean) is definitely going to put a kink in things.

Carnival has a Spa Cruise (SC) line of food and menu items. They say they are lower in fat and calories (actually, that's usually bad for low carbers, b/c the fat flavor is replaced generally with sugar...) BUT they also say that anything sweet is made with Nutrasweet (not my first choice) and/or Sweet n Low.

However, the cakes, etc, would still be made with flour, starch, whatever.

My plan is to eat LC as much as possible (veggies, meat, some fruit) and if I want a fabulous dessert, I'll just have it. It's my honeymoon...
But after this, right back to LC.

BTW, there's a great forum for LC, very helpful, lovely people.
www.lowcarbtransformation.com

HTH!
Soren

p.s. I just noticed this post http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...74&i=727&t=727 about Carnival introducing Low Carb specific items!

Post Edited (06-02-04 22:03)