Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Default Low Carb Choices

Most of my family is on a low carb diet. No, I am not dieting on my 7-day cruise, but on the other hand don't want to go totally crazy. Are there low-carb items such as deserts, breads, brown rice, etc.

Thanks,

Natalie

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:40 AM
anti-atkins

Default Re: Low Carb Choices

yeah, there's lots of low-carb breads. And make sure not to eat fruits or vegetables. We know those are high in carbs and therefore terrible for you. But, stock up on the steak, bacon and eggs!
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Low Carb Choices

Hi Anti-Atkins,

I actually had extremely high cholesterol and it has now gone below 1/2. I eat much healthier than I did. We eat lots of vegies and fruit, even put whipped cream on the fruit. Even eat pancakes and bagels occasionaly. Just didn't want to gorge all week, so I wanted to know if they offer low-carb choices, as many non-floating restaurants do now.

Old February 22nd, 2004, 02:00 AM
patdor

Default Re: Re: Re: Low Carb Choices

Hi Natalie

Can you tell me what brand whipped cream you are using?

I can not find a prepared cream with out added sugar in it.

And how about those pancakes, are they low carb? As you can guess I am devoted to

Atkins too. I bought a great pancake syrup with no carbs. Now I need the pancakes to go with it.
Thanks
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:26 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Low Carb Choices

Hi,

We use Reddi Whip, Extra Creamy. Although it has some sugar in it, it has less than 1 carb per serving so it is "legal". If you are really strict, like I used to be, whip your own with heavy cream and splenda.

I'm on maintenance now and doing very well, so very infrequently I treat myself to real pancakes with real syrup. But, my husband uses the Atkins Pancake mix, I've had them, they are not too bad! I prefer KETO products over atkins brand--their Pasta is awesome--maybe they have a pancake mix. We also found a regular supermarket brand of low carb bread, 5 per slice so we do french toast for something different!

How much have you lost??

Natalie

Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:15 PM
patdor

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low Carb Choices

I have been on it for about a month and lost about 15 pounds. I found a low carb bread too that helps me so much. Some times you just have to have a piece of bread. That was a great idea for the french toast , thanks.

I go off about every eight days or so for a spagetti dinner. I love my pasta. I will investigate your Keto pasta, thanks again.

I have about 50 more I would like to lose. I quit smoking and gained 45 lbs.

One life saver for me if any one is interested, is Jello with whipped cream. Do not miss deserts at all with this treat. No suger jello . How long before you reached maintenance?
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:03 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Low Carb Choices

I lost 25 pounds in about 2 months. Went on true maintenance probably in August. Having a little trouble now. Would like to lose about 3 pounds in 3 weeks, just in case! My husband loves the sugar free jello and cream, it tastes too artificial for me. I found some low carb cand bars I like, and sometimes cakes and things!

Natalie

Old February 24th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Passenger

Another thing you can do while cruising...never take the elevators. I did this 2 yrs ago on the Elation and lost 5 lbs that week (and I ate plenty ). I wasn't on Atkins, but I am now. I've lost 25 lbs, so far. I plan to splurge a little in April (margaritas), but I will stick to the stairs to get around. Hopefully I'll lose a little more before then. Becky

Elation
Old February 27th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Passenger

After 5 weeks of low carb, and with another 5 weeks or it before I cruise, I plan on eating every darn thing they have on the boat. After the cruise I will hit the low carb again to ditch the 12 pounds I gained before summer when I cruise on my boat at the lake.
Old February 27th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Yeoman

Hey anti Atkins, your ignorance is showing!!! There are many veggies and some fruits that are perfectly fine to eat when on Atkins maintenance. Just shows what you know,!
Well I'm not fat anymore so see you around the buffet, I'll be having some of everything!!!
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Amy04

Cyclone,
Mu Husband and I are also on Atkins (our 4th week -- 2 to go before our cruise)...I've lost around 10, and he's lost around 15. I am so like you...the only thing that gets me through this diet is imagining rewarding myself and eating any darn thing that I want for 7 days straight! I'm planning on going back onto Atkin's afterwards just to lose whatever I put on. Hubby says he still wants to be careful...ha..fat chance with all of that yummy food around!!
All in all, I do like the Atkin's diet plan, and do indeed eat lots of veggies and eggs (steak too), but not a lot of bacon.
Amy
Old March 1st, 2004, 09:14 AM
First Mate

Hi Amy and Cyclone,

When we went away this past summer on a 2 week vacation, I was still trying to lose my last few pounds on Atlkins. Although I watched like your husband wants to I didn't feel deprived at all. I had a few pina coladas. Had pancakes, french toasts and deserts when I wanted. I just tried not to have them all in one day! Though there were days I had a pancake or two for breakfast and a little of all deserts on the buffet that night. My husband and I each gained only 3 pounds in 2 weeks that were very easy to lose when we got back on track at home.

Natalie

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
miffed

Can someone expalin why someone like Anti-Atkins even bothers witha reply??
These posts are for people to ask questions not have their lifestyles picked apart.
She asked a valid question and if you don't have an answer then KEEP QUIET.
Old March 4th, 2004, 07:15 PM
First Mate

Thanks miffed,

I went into a whole tyraid about that a few weeks ago. I think people should just offer their comments, advise and suggestions and leave it like that. As we all should have learned, if you don't have something nice to say...

As you can see--I didn't even let it bother me. I'm just going to have an awesome time.

Natalie

Old March 5th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Passenger

natalietexas,

I read your tyraid a couple weeks ago. My feeling is blow them off, certain people just get off on complaining about anything, everything or anybody. These are the people who really need a vacation, I just hope they are not on my cruise or your cruise. FUN HATERS IS WHAT I CALL THEM. LATER.....
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:10 AM
First Mate

Thanks cyclone. You're right they are just out to ruin someone's vacation and I won't let be mine or yours! The majority are like you and miffed and many people that came to my rescue on my cooler post. In fact if you look at it today there are many followers that ran out and bought the same cooler and love it to pieces!

Old March 7th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Passenger

On the Golden Princess I saw sugar-free desserts and low-fat dressings, but not brown rice or low carb bread. There was a vegetarian menu and a low-fat menu in addition to the regular menu, but not a low-carb menu. I think, however, there are enough choices on the menu to allow you to assemble a low-carb meal.
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM
First Mate

Natalie,
I am happy to hear that your cholesterol went down on Atkins. But it does not happen with everyone. My husband went on Atkins for three months. He lost weight and had his cholesterol checked. He had never before had a cholesterol problem and it was very high after three months on Atkins. He came off Atkins and his cholesterol level returned to norma. I have inherited cholesterol problems and my doctor told me to absolutely not do Atkins (he said that my husband could, so he was not anti-Atkins in general). Anyway, my children are now on the South Beach Diet and that seems to be working well. That is also low carb, but seems to be more balanced than what my husband did. Congratulations on your weight loss. It must feel great.
Bobbie
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM
claudia

South Beach is quite good and balanced. THe first two weeks can be a bit tough, especially if you do not like tomates, but if you do, you will be just fine! The second and third stages are great, and it is reaaly a terrific diet for diabetics.

I lost 15 on SB last year, gained back 5 over the winter and hope to have that full five off by next Friday when we leave for the Carnival Destiny! And my clothes will fit too! Bonus.
Old March 17th, 2004, 02:51 PM
joto

My DH is Type 2 diabetic and was hard for him to go to a different way of eating. I have made a dessert that he likes. Mix up 2 packs of sugar free Jello. Wait until it has almost set. Whip up a can of evaporated milk at high speed until it is almost got peaks on it. Mix in the Jello thoroughly and leave to set in the fridge. Hope you like it.
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Househunter1584

Claudia- Just curious. I am also doing South Beach, don't especially like tomatoes and haven't eaten one in the 2 months I have been following it. No mention of tomotoes in the book at all. Am I missing something?
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Beginner

My hubby has been low-carbing for almost three years, now. I started about 6 months ago after a horrific year of miscarriages. It's interesting what three pregnancies in a year can do to your self-esteem - and weight gain!

Anyway - I have been paying more attention to the GI of foods (glycemic index) and its impact on your metabolism, and not quite so much on the carbs a food has. We typically lay off the diet a bit on the weekends, at which time I'll have a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with blueberries, whole cream, and splenda (yum!). I buy the low-carb bread from Brownberry (whole wheat is better than multi-grain), and treat myself to a roast beef sandwich with cheese, lettuce, tomato (yes!), cucumbers, and hot mustard - YUM!

Strawberries, blueberries, and even tomatoes are great for you (in moderation)! Whole grain foods, are too. Pasta actually has a much lower GI than rice. So, if you feel like treating yourself - get the whole wheat pasta. I have noticed that the low-carb pastas are really disgusting - and have little nutritional value.

I have been eating more fish and chicken, laying off the red meat a bit. Though - a medium rare steak is still heaven to me!

At any rate - I've lost those 10 pounds I gained last year - and kept them off. I snack on nuts and those wonderful low-carb bars (EAS is good). Drink SlimLite (at Sam's Club) during the day - kind of like koolaid for adults.

During my cruise, I'm planning on choosing wisely from those fruits & veggies, experiment with different cheeses, and stay away from rice & potatoes (those are evil!).

Sorry this is so long - hope you're not snoozing out there!

Old March 26th, 2004, 04:02 PM
uncle bob

Carb, smarb....its calories that you should be concerned about. Not on a cruise though.
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:43 AM
Passenger

3 days till cruise, and 2 1/2 months of Atkins, and I met my goal. Dumped 17 lbs, and I'm sitting at 190 lbs. I feel good, and now I can see how much I can pack back on in a week. Yeah. Let the eating frenzy begin.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to rehr

Im stopping on the cruise....although I may not go for that extra slice of pie : ) So far so good... I may be loosing weight too quickly.. I have lost 10 lbs in the first week. 20 more to go! Good luck all!

Hopeful Undetermined Cruise
Past Cruises:
Paradise 4/11/04
Old April 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Alice

Hi,

There are many meat choices and also vegatable and salad choices.
Old April 10th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just watch the bread, pasta and sugar intake.

I've been on the South Beach diet and lost 9 lbs (most of which I gained on previous cruises.) My hubby lost 18 lbs. It's a great diet for heart attack patients and diabetics. I could stay on it the rest of my life. (And I've done Weight Watchers and became a lifetime member).

I do not miss the carbs at all. On the ships just load up on veggies and meat, fish or chicken. Even if you indulge in a little desert, no big deal. The portions are not huge.

It's the martinis that I have a problem with, but if I cut back on desert, I can have my peach, apple, or chocolate martini.

Got to go, my South Beach chocolate covered strawberries are ready.

Happy cruising.

Explorer of the Seas - May 1, 2004 (three weeks and counting)
Constellation - October 11, 2004
Millenium - January 2, 2005
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:04 PM
Passenger

im on atkins for the 3rd time. first time lost 45 lbs in 45 days (roughly), second time (right before a vacation) lost 20 lbs. I'm trying for another 20 before summer (Cruise Season!), but plan to eat whatever the hell I want on the cruise. I will take the stairs, and try to run once or twice in the morning. should be interesting running on a cruise, bet it's beutiful.
Old May 14th, 2004, 12:20 PM
hcat

For those watching their sugar, keep in mind that low carb isn't always low sugar or low calorie. Recently on Celeb . most of the low carb desserts would not work for me on a diabetic diet. I was able to avoid high carb by just following my usual meal plan with a bit of treats here & there.
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:03 PM
Beginner

I was SO happy to find this thread. DH and I are going on our first cruise ever on June 5 to W. Caribbean on Celeb. Escapes for our 5th Anniversary. Anyhoo, I have been on Atkins since Jan 2 and lost 33 pounds and gone from a size 18 to a 12 (I'm 5'9"). I also discovered that my migraine headaches are triggered by sugar (found out when I "cheated" ONE time....and got a the WORST migraine of my life). So, I am hoping that there are sugar free options on our cruise. Living a low carb lifestyle is pretty easy except for those of us who have a sweet tooth. I LOVE the low carb Atkins and other icecream treats, and Russell Stover low carb candies...but I can't exactly smuggle icecream on my cruise...the candy will be in my suitcase in a small softside cooler :-) Has anyone cruised Celebrity and if so do you know if they have sugarfree options? I emailed them and asked about this, and they indicated they did..but just wondered if anyone has actual experience with them. Thanks.