Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:11 AM
pumpkin24

Default carnival conquest

We're looking forward to our cruise this upcoming summer. We'll be going on our first cruise for our honeymoon so we have nothing to compare it to.

Has anyone been on the Conquest? Can you comment on Carnival's food? I love seafood, but I think I've heard that it is not served much on the menu.

Anyone tried the sushi bar? I also love sushi, that may be an alternate lunch option, if it's open during lunch hour.

Thanks for the feedback, I've enjoyed reading the posts on this board and this is my first message!
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2004, 08:55 AM
jamiegunter

Default Re: carnival conquest

We have been on Carnival twice, not the conquest though. The food is very good,
they offer lobster on one night. They had a type of seafood every night, I remember them having the tiger shrimp. I am not a big seafood eater. I have heard alot of people that liked the sushi bar. Cruising is great, you can try new foods you havent before. If you dont like your meal they will bring you something different. Hope you have a great Honeymoon
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:55 AM
AshleyP

We were on the Conquest in December. The food is good, but there was not a large amount of seafood. On our cruise, they were serving regular shrimp in lieu of the tigers and prawns. Of course, lobster and several types of fish.

There is a seafood "restaurant", Sur Mer, and some of their stuff was pretty good.
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:22 AM
pumpkin24

Default Re: Re: carnival conquest

Hi Ashley

Is the Sur Mer open only at specific times? What kind of seafood did they serve? (as you can tell, I plan to get my seafood kick on the cruise).

What were your highlights from the menu? What desserts would you recommend?

Thanks for the kind wishes Jamie - we're very much looking forward to the cruise. I haven't been on a plane or a vacation for too long!
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Whiteknight

The Sur Mer seafood counter is well hidden. It's located above the aft section of the Lido buffet. There are 2 sets of stairs leading up to it, but I don't remember any signs depicting it and I found it by accident just looking around. I was with a group of 200+ and none of them were aware of it until I told them about it and this was 3 days into the cruise. Anyway, the serve many kinds of cold and hot seafood items. I can't remember all the items, but some included oysters, clams, octopus, mussels, squid, fish, sushi and a kind of fish stew with a lot of those items in it. That stew has a name, but I can't think of it right now. As I recall, it's limited to seafood and fries, so if you're like me, you would wind up getting salad and/or vegetables down the stairs in the Lido buffet and then going up the stairs to add the seafood. It's not that far, but it is a little inconvenient having to go through 2 lines. In my opinion, it's still worth it.
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

is the stew name bullubaise (spell)????

Old April 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Whiteknight

Yes, that's the name of the stew-like concoction. Another name of one of their items I couldn't think of before was Calamari ( I think that's how it's spelled).
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

It all sounds so wonderful to me. I am so anxious to try new foods. As i sit here contemplating what to fix for dinner I keep thinking how sick and tired i am of eating the same ole stuff over and over again! Happens when you have kids that only like a few things !
Old April 24th, 2004, 05:57 PM
pumpkin24

Default Re: Re: carnival conquest

I will definitely be looking for sur-mer! What kind of selection do they have? Is it mostly fried seafood (I know they have the bouillabaise)? Fried oysters sound good, haven't tried them that way before.