Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Yeoman

Default Healthy Eating

My wife and I work very hard to eat healthfully, and we surely will not be taking a vacation from eating healthy when we're on vacation! We're looking for the best advice on getting what we want out of our cruise, in this regard.

For breakfast, we typically have a protein shake. I'm sure that that's out of the question. <grin>

I checked out the ShipShape menu from one of the RCI ships. Looks okay, I suppose. I have just a few concerns. They list fat-free fruit yogurt, but they often contain too much sugar. Will they have fat-free plain yogurt? That way, we'd be able to put some berries in and have fruit yogurt without the added sugar.

They also list egg beater omelets, but I worry about how they make the omelets without it sticking to the pan. If they use tons of butter or some other fat, they're defeating the purpose! Does anyone know what they do to assuage this concern?
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Donalee

Default Re: Healthy Eating

Trying to maintain a lowfat diet on the ship is difficult. For breakfast on the ship I would eat the hardboiled eggs (I left the yoks and just ate the egg whites), dry cereal with lowfat milk (I couldn't find nonfat milk), fresh fruit, oatmeal, dark brown bread or a plain bagel, black coffee and juice. Everything else that is served contains fat. It is easier to find lowfat foods at lunch and dinner because you can order a salad or steamed vegetables. Enjoy the cruise.
Old June 28th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Healthy Eating

Hi, Just got off the Rhapsody of the Seas and there was plain yogurt for breakfast, I think it was nonfat as well. No whole grain breads that I could see, mostly everything is made with refined white flour. There is lots of fruit, however.
At the omelet station, you can request both Egg Beaters AND spray (instead of the 1/4 cup of oil they put in each pan!).
Have fun!