Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Larry M.

Default BYOB?

Is it possible to bring your own liquer on board? Do they search your luggage for bottles? What's the secret?
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: BYOB?

From what I've read, most major cruise lines reserve the right to prohibit passengers from bringing their own liquor on board, and enforce the prohibition on a seemingly random basis. Beyond this, some of these very same cruise lines will charge a fee for folks bringing their own alcohol to dinner, for example (presumably in case they bought a bottle somewhere else on-board?)
Old July 19th, 2004, 09:55 PM
BC Cruiser

Why bother. You've paid big bucks for the holiday. relax enjoy & hand over your card. In the grand scheme of things it's not worth having to dry clean all your clothes when the bottle breaks all over everything. Deal with your charge card when you get home.
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Yeoman

> Deal with your charge card when you get home.

Ack... not a very convincing argument, BC!
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Depends on the cruise line you are traveling on. Some let you bring alcohol aboard. We have cruised with Carnival several times in the past. You are allowed to carry on a few bottles of wine/champagne when you board, if you are celebrating something special(that's the way they put it) and they will charge you a corkage fee if you decide to bring that bottle to dinner. We have taken wine for having before dinner on our verandah with no problem. I have read on Princess that you can order bottles of hard alcohol to be in your room when you board. Our friends took along some vodka packed in a water bottle on our last cruise. They just put it in their checked luggage verses the carry on.
Have a great cruise all!!

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Pride
Princess Sapphire
Carnival Spirit
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor (3 days of towing back to port)

Carnival Dream

Have a great cruise all!! 8)
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, Carnival does allow a coupla bottles of wine. I don't worry about bottle breakage, because I wrap my wine bottles in lots of bubblewrap, then put into the 2-gallon Ziplok bags. well padded by a coupla beach towels. Then they go into a separate piece of checked-in luggage with my Cokes. My clothing and shoes are in a larger piece of luggage....... Oh, and they don't always charge the corkage fee in the dining room.

I just read on the NCL board that NO liquor of any kind is allowed, and they WILL confiscate it. No NCL cruises for me!
Old August 9th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mo K

I went on an NCL cruise in April 2004 and I packed some liquor I put it in a plastic flask and in a zip lock bag and then I put it in my luggage and nothings was said. My daughter put the actual bottle in her luggage, when her luggage was delivered to her room there was a lable on her luggage that said liquor inside. It was not taken and she was not charged any fees. When we were boarding the ship some people in front of us had wine in there carry on and were told they would have to pay a corkage fee which they agreed to and went on to the ship. So I think its all how you carry it on.

Costa Mediterrania - April 3, 2005
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: BYOB?

Repackaging liquor to carry it on board is not only perhaps a problem for the cruise line, but most airlines that you may take to get to the port of embarkation prohibit carrying of alcohol not sealed in its legal container.
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Re: BYOB?

We have sailed twice, both on Celebrity, and had no problem carrying wine and beer on board. We have taken it both in our checked luggage and our carry-ons when we returned from port. The only time they took anything was when we brought on the liquor we got from the duty-free. They delivered it to our room the night before we go back, so technically you could drink it then! :<) We asked our room steward to empty out our bar fridge so we could keep a couple of bottles cold. I've heard similar stories from other cruise lines. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!
Old August 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
JImeeee4

I took a bottle of scotch in my carry on bag. (this was Princess) I was directed to a table where I got a receipt for it and....it was waiting on a table for me to pick up at the end of the cruise. On our next seventeen cruises we have put in our checked baggage with no problem.
Old August 16th, 2004, 10:52 PM
First Mate

It's only money... I'm on Vacation...I'll buy my booze from Carnival..

Old August 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM
JImeeee4

We like a drink on our balcony on occasion and don't want to wait until a watery drink arrives from room service. We were allowed to buy a bottle on Carnival but we're 100 percent Princess now, as I previously posted elswhere, they took my bottle at embarcation. (yes, I got it back at end of cruise) Princes does sell a SMALL bottle of booze and two cans of mix for about $15.
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:30 PM
JaneMarlow

Princess literature clearly states that wine and champagne may be brought aboard by passengers.

I am not bringing a case, just a few bottles in bubblewrap.
Old January 4th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Passenger

I've had no problems bringing wine or booze onto NCL on two cruises, 11/01 and 9/03. Packed three bottles of wine in my luggage in 9/03 and a bottle of gin. Any more recent experiences?

Mo K - where was your NCL cruise in 4/04?