Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2004, 06:38 PM
jaxietoo

Default Vegetarian vegan food

Hi all!
Never been on a cruise- moslt because it is very diffcult for my husband and I to eat anywhere because we are vegan i.e. no animal products of any kind.

Does anyone know what ship/cruiseline/etc. would be our best bet?

Thanks so much for your time and thoughts!
Rachel
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:21 PM
spaceguy

Default Re: Vegetarian vegan food

Hi!

I too don't eat any meat, dairy, or eggs. I have been on RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, and Costa. They have vegetarian menu selections, but frequently they use cheese or dairy in the menu items. The best solution is (to have your TA) to notify the cruise line ahead of time. Then before or during the first evening notify your waitstaff and head waiter of your desires. The Head waiter can and should bring you the next day's menu and you can then modify what is available to suit you, or he can suggest, or you can suggest something else. Typically it might be good to have some idea what you would like, I ususaly didn't....I've learned now to come prepared with suggestions. You can also ask for the fresh veggies that are the side dishes on the other menus and this shouldn't be a problem either. Buffets you can see what is there, or you can negotiate for a breakfast or lunch also with the headwaiter.
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:04 PM
JaneMarlow

I will be going on Princess in a few weeks. I found the menus and talked to Princess and am very satisfied with what I found.

Will post more once I go and see what I find. The salad bar looks like a good option. Also good options on the healthy choice menu.

I avoid dairy and there seems to be plenty of choices.
Old September 7th, 2004, 02:12 PM
JaneMarlow

oh, and the no cheese pizza is available too
Old September 7th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm a little in the dark on 'vegan'...does this also include fish or any type seafood?
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:22 AM
spaceguy

Default Re: Re: Vegetarian vegan food

Vegetarian can include dairy, eggs, and honey, but avoids meat products of any kind, including seafood.

Vegan avoids all meat including seafood, like vegetarians, but also avoids dairy, eggs, and honey. Vegans will also not use leather or animal products, or products tested on animals.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:42 AM
JaneMarlow

Let's make it more complex: pesco-vegetarians will eat seafood on occassion, but no other meats (land roving creatures). They may or may not eat dairy, eggs or honey.

It doesn't look as though anyone will starve on Princess though.
Old September 8th, 2004, 11:45 AM
JaneMarlow

and I didn't make up that term. I first heard it in Dr. Andrew Weil's works : )
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:05 PM
spaceguy

No, in spite of trendy labeling, vegetarians do not eat meat of any kind, including seafood. People who eat meat (even if it is one type) are omnivores.
Old September 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Passenger

I'm a vegetarian (although not vegan) and have cruised Carnival many times and have been very happy with their vegie meals. I think most, if not all of the vegetarian items in the main dining room would be fine for vegans (at least thats what I remember). You can always go to the breakfast/lunch/dinner buffet as was pointed out and pick your own items. Since I'm only a vegetarian, I did eat LOTS of pizza though.
I cruised with Royal Caribbean once and was not happy with the food choices.

Carnival Spirit '09, Liberty '07, Spirit '05, Valor '05, Glory '04, Pride '03, Destiny '02, Elation '01, Tropicale '91, RCCL Viking Serenade '93, Pacific Princess '78
Old September 29th, 2004, 04:24 PM
kickstart

My family and I are sailing on Carnival Pride in December . My family is vegetarian, so
Do they also serve ethnic food ( Indian etc) or if requested would they oblige by preparing on occasion during our stay/cruise.
I am a chiketarian , so I can expand my food type a little.
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:08 PM
JaneMarlow

I just got back from the Sapphire Princess: TONS of vegan/vegetarian choices.

The Trident Grill has a tasty vegan veggie burger. The dining room has daily vegetararian selections. A good veggie chop is available: I just asked them to hold the cream sauce if you don't want it.

And of course the buffet has loads of choices. No one will starve.
Old October 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Passenger

You can order a veggie burger in the main dining room for lunch. It wasn't on the menu but sat with a vegetarian one lunch and she ordered it. I guess they have to get it from the grill upstairs, so I assume you could order a veggie burger at the grill by the pool as well, even though I didn't see it on the menu up there either.