Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to JoannFla
Default DINING ON SHIP

HI ALL..I NOTICE THERE ARE RESTAURANTS ON BOARD THE SHIPS..IS THERE A FORMAL NIGHT THOUGH? LIKE CAPTAINS DINNER? OR JUST BUFFETS OR JOHNNIE ROCKETS...THIS IS GOING TO BE MY 1ST CRUISE.. HOPE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE AND HOW DOES BRINGING ALCOHOL BACK ON THE SHIP WORK?? THANK YOU SO MUCH IF YOU REPLY MAKE SURE ITS TO JOFIVEO AN "O" AT THE END NOT A ZERO. THANKS!~JOANN P.S. I AM HOPING TO GO ON VOYAGER OR EXPLORER OF THE SEA..I HOPE THEY HAVE FORMAL DINNER IF NOT WHAT SHIPS DO..

Post Edited (01-17-05 22:07)
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: DINING ON SHIP

On a week long cruise they have 2 formal nights. You can also dine in the dining room every night if you want, it is more dressy naturally than the buffet or Johnny Rockets. If you buy alcohol at one of the ports and bring it back on the ship they take it when you reboard and give it to you when you return to the home port, I believe that is the way it was when we sailed on the Conquest.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Juanita

Hi Joann...

I know that the Voyager and Explorer are larger, 7-day cruise ships, which means that they do have a formal night (sometimes two, so bring two formal outfits). They normally call the initial formal night "Captain's Dinner", although you don't actually dine with the Captain. This night usually comes with a before dinner or after dinner reception (depending on what time you eat), which includes free cocktails and hor'deveures.

Besides eating in the dining rooms every day, you always have the option of eating in the cafe (buffet style), or since you are going on a larger, more elaborate ship, you also have he option of eating in the restaurant (Johnny Rockets or Portofino's for example). Be Warned: You WILL have to pay for these meals, as they do not come along with the price of your cruise as the cafe and dining room does.

If you purchase alcohol off of the ship, they will require to hold it until you reach homeport, and you will receive it back once you debark.

NOTE: I have sailed on RCCL before, and I know that the smaller ships such as the Sovereign Class and Vision classes do not have the extra restaurants on them; only the Voyager class ships. Nevertheless, i enjoyed the dining room and cafes on the various classes. The food in my opinion was excellent, and everyone in my travel group (from ages 3-67!!!) enjoyed everything we ate.

Hope this helps, and i hope that you have an AWESOME time! I'm sure you will, as long as you keep realistic expectations.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Juanita

PS: For those of you who are English majors, Please excuse any typo's, as I was typing pretty quickly
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Juanita, good post and advice and nothing wrong,,,,,,,,unlike like the poster who had a CAPITAL moment and brain dump to the keyboard.

What they noticed there are restaurants on board ships?