Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Judy Wyte

Default Wine--Good or bad?

Does anyone know if RCCL has a decent wine list-- or can you bring wine onto the ship?

Are cruises fun for teenage boys (15,18)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:11 PM
John44

Default Re: Wine--Good or bad?

Also what the price range is for a bottle of wine
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to rochesterny

I was suprised that the wine selection onboard was quite nice. My wife and I enjoy wine also and the ONLY discount your going to get on alcohol while onboard is to buy the wine and dine package. They have several different packages starting around 100 dollars for a basic package. Its rated and priced according to different kinds of wine.

Its kind of complicated how they do it but the packages range from $100 to 150. For that amount of money you get one bottle of wine each night with dinner. For $150 you get to pick any bottle of wine you want from the wine list each night. For 100 you get to pick only domestic (american) wines from the list, and they have packages in between for 120, 130, etc. We sprung for the 150 package and we never had a bad bottle of wine or a bottle that we were unhappy with. The headwaiter was knowledgeable about their wine selection and his suggestions were always right on the money.

From the info I read you can bring wine onboard but I think they charge a corking fee. The same policy applies to bottled liquor. However if you read the other post on this board you will find out that you can sneak a pint of liquor onboard in your luggage and no body minds. You can also likely do the same with a bottle of wine if you want something to drink in your room.

We traveled with a teenage girl and we went just last Feb. There were lots of kids and teens onboard and they mixed and mingled quite well. Mix some teenage girls with Teenage boys and they'll do just fine.
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:12 PM
glojo

Default Re: Re: Wine--Good or bad?

Just keep in mind that some wine that has been on the ship for a long time can suffer bottle shock from all the vibrations.
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Yeoman

RCL has a nice wine list. I think they cover all the basics with popular names.
Best advice is to stay clear of the wine packages, unless you are a big drinker.
I like to have a glass or two with dinner, so we did buy a bottle $32.00 at dinner one day and they store the leftovers for you for dinner the next night. Much cheaper to pay as you drink, I think.

We have 3 sons, 12, 13, and 18. We barely saw them. Accept when we demanded to.
There is so much for them to do, they will have a blast with other kids and do stuff.

Mariner of the Seas (July 2006)
Mariner of the Seas (April 2007)

Freedom of the Seas (July 2007)
Old April 27th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Passenger

I dunno about the "big drinker" comment. Its generally always cheaper to buy the bottle. A bottle of wine will get two people 3 glasses of wine each.
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:38 PM
virginiagirl

We brought our own wine on the ship in our carry-on last week. 3 bottles, and no problems at all.
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeoman

Rochesterny......
where did it appear that I was insulting someone? Lighten up!
Some people really like wine and some don't !
How can a person judge something (such as this package) if they haven't done it before! I used the term "big drinker" to aid them, not insult them!

That being said, unless you plan on "consuming" a bottle every night, just buy it as needed. Its cheaper and the leftovers are stored for free of charge.

Old April 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Passenger

I never said I thought you were insulting anyone. All I was trying to get across is that you don't have to be considered a big drinker to consume a single bottle of wine during dinner. Like I said, if two people have 3 glasses of wine each - thats it, the bottle is empty. And dinner on a cruise isn't exactly a "quick" thing. You're at the dinner table for at least a couple of hours so its not hard to have those 3 glasses of wine. Most people who are on vacation tend to imbibe a bit more than they usually do anyway.

And if you do find you and your companion drank an entire bottle in one evening then my suggestion is that perhaps you should think about getting the package because its one of the few discounts your going to get on alcohol onboard.

I think your suggestion is a good one as well, to buy a bottle and have the headwaiter store it for you for the next evening should you not finish it. I wonder if they would've let you bring it back to your cabin?
Old April 29th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Yeoman

Bringing it back to your cabin would be a nice touch!

Old May 12th, 2005, 01:21 AM
claude gareau

Hi,
Once you bought a bottle from the ship, and ask for corking the left-over, they
will store it and bring it back where you want;; that would included your stateroom or your table in the dining room. It however would not, IMO, included the buffer areas
as it becomes a logistical pproblem to '' re-deliver'' it back.
My opinion

Cheers
Happy Hour !!
CG
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Passenger

We brought 5 bottles last year and it was really not enough. We had late seating 8:30 and opened a bottle in our room and had a drink and some cheese on the balconey before getting ready and then brought a bottle to a 2 hour dinner.We were at a table of 6 with our teenage boys then 14&17 and we shared our wine with the couple at our table.Our waiter never charged us the corkage fee.We plan on bringing more this year and if we do not drink it we will give it to the wait staff.Some people think bringing your own wine is being cheep,I don't care Im do not do it to save money I do it because being from Northern Ca we have wine we like and most cruise lines have a limited selection. I used bubble wrap and a carry on tote for the wine and a few water bottles and and had no problem at all.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Passenger

To address both your questions, I cruised on Carnival to Mexico for a week with my 17 year old daughter and my boys 11 and 13. Everyone had activities they enjoyed and the boys particularly enjoyed the freedom of being able to plan their own days and being by themselves. We all had meals and excursions together but the rest of the time was their own. It worked wonderfully.
As to wine, I am also from Northern California and am unwilling to pay the ridiculously high prices on board. Fortunately, HAL does not object to bringing wine on board. I usually order a cheese plate from room service and enjoy it with a nice glass or two of wine in my room.
JOE
Old May 26th, 2005, 12:15 PM
mateli

How come the wine is so expensive on a tax free ship while at sea?Mostly it is ameri-can wines, few choice of French or Italian that are the best of selection
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Pinky's Mom

For me it's not a money factor for wanting to bring my own. We're going on the Monarch this Monday and I want to bring my own wine & champagne because I saw RCL's wine list and didn't really see anything that I liked (I'm kind of snobby when it comes to my wine & champagne). I was going to bubble wrap it and then put it in my luggage but I read that someone else did that and it broke so I think I'm going to bring an extra carry on and put it in there and if they end up taking it from me then I'll just get it back at the end of the ship but I called RCL and they told me that it was fine to bring 2 bottles onboard of your own.
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Wine--Good or bad?

RCCL has 3 levels of Wine Packages as stated above. We bought the middle package the first night and were satisfied with the selection. Amazing how much wine you can drink eating decent food and enjoying great company at your table : ).
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

What line were you on? RCCL specifically says you can't bring alcohol on board in their fine print. We have a 150 bottle cellar that I would rather take some of than be forced to buy what they have. I agree, it has nothing to do with being cheap!
Old July 21st, 2005, 02:58 PM
RonnieNJ4

Default Re: Re: Re: Wine--Good or bad?

Yes it does say that in the book. However, if you call them they will tell you that you can bring two bottles with you. However, we brought 2 bottles of wine and 2 bottles of champagne in our carry-on and nothing was said. We drank all of it in our cabin. Our cabin steward brought us ice and I went to one of the bars to ask for wine and champagne glasses and they gave it to us without a problem.