Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:22 PM
glojo

Default BYOB

We have in the past taken on our own liquor to have in our room, we have it in our carry-on. We still would buy drinks, wine with dinner and beer by the pool etc. Never had anyone say anything to us. Another time we even bought liquor from the store on board (Enchantment) if I remember correctly. You hear stories or the cruiseline confiscating liqour, but has anyone had the liquor taken away from the personally? I was kind of doubting this would really happen.
Last time we were on a cruise a lady had a bottle of red wine in her checked luggage...and it broke! Princess has a self-serve laundry thank goodness!
Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: BYOB

Glojo, its a "roll of the dice" at best, so many factors to consider. I have seen liquor taken from passengers (how embarrassing) They make you get out of line, take your liquor, and return it to your cabin on the last night of the cruise. Some lines like Princess for example allow you to bring aboard a reasonable amount of wine/champagne for your personal consumption. Princess also allows you to buy from room service bottles of liquor, the prices are really good.
That being said, there are folks who will tell you how to "smuggle" your booze aboard. I don't agree with that, so i won't pass along any of the tips i have read.
Old April 10th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Beginner

I had liquor confiscated from me on NCL's Pride of Aloha on a Hawaiian cruise (in Kona). I think it's because Hawaii is more strict than, say, the Caribbean. I got it back the last night. They were taking everybody's booze!!!
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Veronica Vega

I was told from Royal Caribbean that we can bring one bottle of wine or champagne on the Ship with us to consume in our Room without any problems.
We will see what happens
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:28 AM
claude

Hi,
IMO , those policies are specific to each Cruise line.
Technically, no personnal lquor on board, period !!! If spotted, it is not CONFISCATED, but simply put away for the owner until he goes back off at the end of the cruise.
In practice, the reinforcement of the policies appears very rigid for hard liquor, but
noticeably more '' lenient '' as it applies to wine and champaign. How can the checked luggage people can spot the difference thru their screening machine is beyond me....
but I would not be willing to defy the odds on that, given the extremely minimal impact
on my wallet,in the big picture.

Happy hour !!!
Cheers
CG
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Veronica Vega

Default Re: Re: BYOB

I was on the Carnival Legend in May of 2003 and we brought a bottle of Champagne with us because it was our honeymoon. We carried it on and security asked what it was and we told him and he asked us to take it out of our bag to show it and he let us take it with us.
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM
tiger13

I have sailed 20 times on many different cruise lines, most recent was RCCL Mariner of the Seas April 2005 sailing. We have often brought a bottle in our carry on and it has never been taken. However, when buying liqour in port and coming back on the ship, they do have a sign and a very large completely filled cart with booze. People are required to check it as they reboard and it is returned to them on the last night of the cruise. We only bought one bottle in port and while it was in a liqour store bag, it was not in one of those large boxes which holds 4-6 bottles and is so obvious. We walked on the ship, put the bag thru the xray machine and they never asked us for it so we never offered. On the other hand, those with the boxed liqour and large packages all were directed to give it up to security . We were the only ones boarding at the time, so its not like they missed us in the crowd. I have found this same policy on every Royal Carribean ship I have been on.
Old June 11th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Passenger

Fortunately for us my BF won enough in poker to cover the beverage tab and based on that I was thinking about sneaking some with me next time (which I haven't even chosen yet..lol) and already my conscience is getting the better of me so I guess we will watch ourselves better on the next one we got lucky this time..(lol)

[b]1st - Carnival Triumph 5/05 (Got me hooked) [b]
[b]2nd - ? as soon as I can for the next one[b]
Old July 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Passenger

We are planning to bring some hard liquor in a plastic flask. Do you think it is better to put in our carry-on luggage or our checked-in luggage? We are still planning to buy wine at our table, but it is nice to have a drink in our room before dinner.
Old August 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Lee Woodard

Default Re: Re: BYOB

Carry on is checked on the first day. We had a special bottle of tequila taken from us on the Celebrity Constellation. Returned the last day. Bummer. Now know to put any special items in my checked luggage. However we bought liquor, one bottle a a time, on shore put it in our carry on and it was never taken. Go figure. All policies for all ships are inconsistent. If you need special items pack them in your checked bags.
Old September 29th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...ge_Policy.aspx

Check this out on Carnivals website 8)
Old October 7th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Familiar Face

We have cruised twice, both times on Celebrity, and never have had any problems bringing wine and beer on board, either in our checked luggage or our carry-ons. We bought it in just about every port on our Caribbean cruise, and the only thing we got stopped for was stuff that we bought in St. Thomas which was sealed and marked duty-free. That we had delivered to our room, I think on the last day of the cruise. Otherwise we had it plainly visible in our bags, and nobody said a word. We haven't tried it with hard liquor, so don't know if they are more strict with that. I have heard that NCL and Carnival are the worst for confiscating.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Sailed on NCL in 1999 (but sailing again 01/14/06) and DH & I brought a case of Corona back onboard at Cancun or Cozumel (can't remember which) and not a word was said. We weren't trying to hide it, it was an ugly brown box that did have Corona stamped all over it. Our room steward even kept our ice bucket full of ice & refilled it with 2 bottles each evening. Needless to say he received a nice tip