Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:43 PM
lgwilson

Default Bad choice or what????

I am going on the Serenade in June in a group of 4. We booked a table with 8 -10 people so we could meet new people. Bad choice or what???????
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Andee

Default Re: Bad choice or what????

Sounds like a good choice to me. We do the same thing.
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM
DENISE H

on our last cruise we had a table of eight my mom and me two ladies from new york,
a man from romania ,profrssional gambler and two ladies from switzerland a nice mixeder of people we had a great time i'm looking for are next cruise
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:18 PM
lgwilson

Default Re: Re: Bad choice or what????

Thanks for the advice! Anyone else want to chime in and let me know your experience with group dinning - good or bad?????
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM
glojo

I don't think so. Thats what we are doing too. I like hearing what people did on their day excursions, and what they are going to do the next day. On our first cruise we got to sit at the engineers table and he bought us wine and liquours. And we had all ages at the table, we had 2 older ladies that came dressed in grey sweatshirts, and they never came back. Maybe they didn't like the big table and all of us dressed up. We will be having our wedding anniversary on one of our days, we may see if we can book a separate table for that night, but its probably not do-able.
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Unless you are celebrating something really special and romantic, dining with groups is the best way to go. You meet interesting people and our 8-year-old son even found a girlfriend (7-years-old) on our first cruise. He will never forget her and we even still have the 8x10 picture we had made of them together on the ship!
Old August 17th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Admiral

We love the large table, meeting others too. We've met people from almost every state but love talking to the ones from other countries. On our last cruise we had a couple from the Isle of Man! Very educational. Enjoy.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Janet524

We've taken many cruises, always requesting large tables. Only one time did we hit a "dud" - 2 couples who didn't talk to anyone (not even each other), and one very charming Mexican couple who spoke very little English (and my high school Spanish is pretty bad!). It was unfortunate, but we still had a good time talking just to each other. I think on a percentage basis you'll be fine. Everyone is taking a cruise to have a good time, and a good mood usually comes along.
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

We enjoy having a large table. You get to meet people from different places and learn about them. In 2001 we had two couples from Canada at our table and we still correspond with one of the couples and they are planning to come visit us next year in Oklahoma. In 2003 we were sat at a table with just me a my husband. We didn't request this, it was just the luck of the draw I guess. We were disappointed because we really like to meet other couples. I would say you made a good choice if you like to talk to people and learn about other places. Have fun!!

Old August 17th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Familiar Face

When you go out at home, do you like to dine at your own table or sit with a group of other people who at first are strangers and then hopefully you relate to and feel comfortable with?

When you go to a restaurant at home, does the waiter sit you at a table with two to eight other people and if he did would that be OK with you? Or do you usually sit at a separate table with youself or those you came with?

The answers to these questions may or may not apply to a cruise ship situation depending upon how YOU feel. Ask yourself.

Is the reason there are so few tables for two on ships because people just don't ask for them or because of space constraints?

What would make you feel most comfortable?
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Reese1717

I think it's luck of the draw. Sometimes you meet wonderful people and you click bot other times you meet A-holes (sorry) that can't speak without complaining and out ruse to the wait staff.

Either way you'll have fun.
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Passenger

I guess I'd have to admit that I'd be willing to try it again, but have had a couple of negative experiences with being seated at a table with strangers for 7 straight days. One cruise (Carnival Triumph) we were seated with a couple of complete loudmouths that insisted on boistrously telling off-color, embarrasing jokes at dinner and usually came to the table trashed from a full day of drinking, he wearing his "ranch" clothes and 10-gallon hat. We asked to be moved to another table. (Incidentally, the maitre'd left them at a table by themselves for the duration of the cruise.) We had to believe that their bar bill easily exceeded the price of their cruise! The last experience at a large table was not much better. (RC Enchantment) We were seated with two couples and one little girl from Miami. Very full of themselves and, although they spoke perfect English when speaking WITH us, they continued to speak Spanish at the table between themsleves and shut us out of the conversation. It made for a very uncomfortable dinner. We stuck that one out for the week, but found ourselves eating at the buffet several nights to escape it. I sure wish I could say that we met nice people at our table but that just hasn't been the case (so far.)
Old January 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Admiral

We always sit at a big table and have met lots of interesting people and have made some lifelong friends. So far (including several very long cruises,) we have encountered no duds. (Knock on wood)

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:37 PM
First Mate

A large table is the way to go. We have always had just wonderful conversation. On our last cruise in October we really had a wonderful time with three other couples. We spent hours at dinner every night and we would continue after dinner with dancing and shows. The dining room staff was always turning on the lights (we had late dinner) and we would be the last ones to leave. The last evening we all brought gifts for each other and we did not want to leave dinner. Then we all hugged each other goodbye. It is hard to believe 7 days before we were all strangers.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Admiral

We have always had great tablemates and like large tables. Our best was last year on the Mariner we had a table for 12...6 couples. One couple never came back but the 10 of us had a blast. We were from 24 to 59, from California to Florida and married to dating. We chose, more like picked on the "nerdy" guy to be our Team Captain at all our competitions and he really came thru for us. Because of Hurricane Frances we had 2 extra sea days and the 10 of us made reservations for Chops together. We still correspond with 3 of the couples and even this past November we cruised with one of the couples.

Our 20 y/o son still keeps in touch with a girl he met back in 1991 when they were just 13/14 y/o.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Skype™ to fllady

We have always had a large table 8-12 people. Have made some really nice friends who we have cruised with again. There is always a chance of getting a "dud", but the majority of people are just like us, like to meet others and cruise!
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Passenger

Our last cruise we had a large table. met life-long new friends. Also met two young ladies we labeled ABBA. One was Dark Haired and the other Blonde. One from England the other from Croatia or somewhere like that. They were great. The new friends have sent Christmas presents and we sent the same to them. One couple sent us wine they like from their homestate of Indiana. Now Napa grade, but good.

Not a mistake to meet new people.

Explorer 02-06
Mariner 04-06
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Passenger

We are going on our first cruise in Sept 06 [Liberty out of Rome 12 days] for 25th wedding anniversary I thought i would prefer a table for two but now ,after reading your experiences we will go for a larger table .I didnt know you could request a table size or seating time How and when do I make these requests

Tracey & Brian
Old June 16th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Admiral

B&T
Find out who to email with the cruise line to make the request. Or go through your travel agent if you have one. You can porbably find out with a little detective work on the cruise line's website.

I would request a table for 8. They will match you with people of your age group etc.
Just a suggestion but I would ask for late seating. That will give you a chance to get back to the ship from any tour, shower, get dressed and have a drink without being rushed. Also if there is a sailaway, you can be at the rail, clean relaxed and happy with a drink in hand, and not miss a thing! I always feel for the early diners. they are so rushed and miss the sailaways, which are really the best part of cruising.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 17th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Passenger

Richstacy

Thanks for the great advice I will get straight on it on Monday with my TA
Table for 8 and a late sitting

Thanks Heaps
Tracey & Brian
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Have a great cruise Bon Voyage

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Admiral

I don't know where everyone meets "nice people" at their dining table and manage to make "lifelong friends". How can you make lifelong friends with people you just met? This is totally ludicrous to me, I can count my lifelong friends on 4 fingers (my brother and three sisters). I have been on 20 cruises and with the exception of only a few times, have always been seated at a large table with obnoxious, boring, self-centered people. One time, the other six people at our table only spoke Spanish. Another cruise we sat with 6 women traveling without their husbands who drank too much, talked too loud and spoke only amongst themselves making it very awkward. Another cruise (women again) talked incessantly about every illness that has befallen them since they were born, ad nauseum. You get the picture.....there is not one cruise where I have been seated at a large table that my tablemates were anyone I would ever talk to again, never mind make fast friends, send Christmas presents to and exchange phone numbers with!! Hugging and kissing good-bye, ha! ha! I don't know where the interesting, fun loving people are but they're never at my table!!
Old June 19th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Admiral

Your experience is the polar opposite of ours. We have been on 14 or 15, cruises and have always asked to be seated at a table for 8. We have always had excellent tablemates. Well educated, well traveled folks -- good conversationalists -- interesting people with great senses of humor.

Only today I exchanged emails with a guy we met on an Alaska cruise 10 years ago. If you have such bad luck, why don't you ask for a smaller table?

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Admiral

richstacy.....after numerous uncomfortable experiences with my tablemates, I ALWAYS request a small table but the cruiselines insist on seating us at a large table. I have gone to see the Maitre'd as soon as I board to request a dining table change and they always tell me there is nothing else available, sorry.
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Rose, you need to try another cruiseline. Try Princess or Holland Am.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08