CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   Will ships provide "box lunches"? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/293606-will-ships-provide-box-lunches.html)

cruisemom April 27th, 2005 08:09 AM

Will ships provide "box lunches"?

I will be travelling on NCL late June to Bermuda. It's such an expensive destination, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can order box lunches to take off the ship? If not, could I order sandwiches thru room service? I could pack zip-lock bags and a small collapsable cooler. Thanks for your help!

gerif April 29th, 2005 01:29 PM

Re: Will ships provide "box lunches"?

Bermuda will not permit ANY foodstuffs to be brought in off of the ship. They are very careful about this and it is a criminal offense if you are caught.

sailgirl April 29th, 2005 07:55 PM

Re: Will ships provide "box lunches"?

We went to Bermuda last summer. We did not bring food off the ship because we heard it is against the law. We did however go back for lunch. I think they served lunch late at the buffet so you could eat when you came back from port. It is expensive to et in Bermuda. With a family of 5, I have a problem with buying lunch when we've already paid for it on the ship. If it were just my husband & I, we might have splurged.

deborahb January 12th, 2006 11:57 PM

boxed lunches

What a great question, i know Princess will box a lunch for you, anyone know about celebrity, mercury?( mexican reviera)

adias.angel February 6th, 2007 03:21 PM

Does Carnival do box lunches? We going to Grand Cayman and Calica. Thanks, Carla ;)

sail-a-bration September 12th, 2007 11:45 PM

I have read that some of the experienced cruisers, bring a soft side cooler and zip lock bags. They order room service an hour before they leave the ship. they put ice in bags and food in bags and off they go.

HALGAL September 13th, 2007 09:46 AM

Bermuda does not allow you to bring food into the country. NCL will give you vouchers for lunch at certain resturants. They will also charge you $5.00 per voucher automatically. If you do not use the vouchers, you must return them before a specific time (not that day but prior to leaving Bermuda) to get a credit.

gerif September 13th, 2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail-a-bration
I have read that some of the experienced cruisers, bring a soft side cooler and zip lock bags. They order room service an hour before they leave the ship. they put ice in bags and food in bags and off they go.

And if they are caught, they are subject to arrest and fine - there are big signs as you exit the ship warning against this in each port. Why do people feel that the laws of a country they are visiting do not apply to them? It's not the cruise ship - they don't care what you eat - it's the country you are visiting that has these laws for THEIR protection.

Mike M September 13th, 2007 04:49 PM

No:

Take care,
Mike

ready2board September 22nd, 2007 03:00 PM

I agree we must respect the laws and customs of other countries and cultures...However, does anyone know exactly why it is against the law to take say, a ham sandwich, off the ship? Is it because they want you to buy their food for economic reasons? I'm sure there is an obvious answer that I'm just missing.

gerif September 25th, 2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ready2board
I agree we must respect the laws and customs of other countries and cultures...However, does anyone know exactly why it is against the law to take say, a ham sandwich, off the ship? Is it because they want you to buy their food for economic reasons? I'm sure there is an obvious answer that I'm just missing.

It has absolutely nothing to do with economics (that is, wanting you to spend money in the country on food) - it has to do with protecting the ecology. Just ask anyone in California about "imported" bugs and what it has cost. And it's not just other countries - just try to bring even a single apple into Hawaii and see what happens to you. All luggage going into that state is carefully inspected.