Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Passenger

Default Will ships provide "box lunches"?

I will be travelling on NCL late June to Bermuda. It's such an expensive destination, I was wondering if anyone knows if you can order box lunches to take off the ship? If not, could I order sandwiches thru room service? I could pack zip-lock bags and a small collapsable cooler. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM
gerif

Default Re: Will ships provide "box lunches"?

Bermuda will not permit ANY foodstuffs to be brought in off of the ship. They are very careful about this and it is a criminal offense if you are caught.
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
sailgirl

Default Re: Will ships provide "box lunches"?

We went to Bermuda last summer. We did not bring food off the ship because we heard it is against the law. We did however go back for lunch. I think they served lunch late at the buffet so you could eat when you came back from port. It is expensive to et in Bermuda. With a family of 5, I have a problem with buying lunch when we've already paid for it on the ship. If it were just my husband & I, we might have splurged.
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Default boxed lunches

What a great question, i know Princess will box a lunch for you, anyone know about celebrity, mercury?( mexican reviera)
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yeoman

Does Carnival do box lunches? We going to Grand Cayman and Calica. Thanks, Carla
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Passenger

I have read that some of the experienced cruisers, bring a soft side cooler and zip lock bags. They order room service an hour before they leave the ship. they put ice in bags and food in bags and off they go.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old September 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Bermuda does not allow you to bring food into the country. NCL will give you vouchers for lunch at certain resturants. They will also charge you $5.00 per voucher automatically. If you do not use the vouchers, you must return them before a specific time (not that day but prior to leaving Bermuda) to get a credit.
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail-a-bration
I have read that some of the experienced cruisers, bring a soft side cooler and zip lock bags. They order room service an hour before they leave the ship. they put ice in bags and food in bags and off they go.
And if they are caught, they are subject to arrest and fine - there are big signs as you exit the ship warning against this in each port. Why do people feel that the laws of a country they are visiting do not apply to them? It's not the cruise ship - they don't care what you eat - it's the country you are visiting that has these laws for THEIR protection.
Old September 13th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

No:

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Captain

I agree we must respect the laws and customs of other countries and cultures...However, does anyone know exactly why it is against the law to take say, a ham sandwich, off the ship? Is it because they want you to buy their food for economic reasons? I'm sure there is an obvious answer that I'm just missing.
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2board
I agree we must respect the laws and customs of other countries and cultures...However, does anyone know exactly why it is against the law to take say, a ham sandwich, off the ship? Is it because they want you to buy their food for economic reasons? I'm sure there is an obvious answer that I'm just missing.
It has absolutely nothing to do with economics (that is, wanting you to spend money in the country on food) - it has to do with protecting the ecology. Just ask anyone in California about "imported" bugs and what it has cost. And it's not just other countries - just try to bring even a single apple into Hawaii and see what happens to you. All luggage going into that state is carefully inspected.