Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:31 PM
IHB

Default vegan cuisine- no animal products

Boarding Carib Princess 8/13 with vegan daughter. Have requested soy milk and tofu be provided, but don't feel confident there will be enough for her to eat other than fresh fruit and vegetables, (assuming even the vegetables aren't cooked in butter). Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:01 PM
H and A

Default Re: vegan cuisine- no animal products

Wow thats a tough one. There are fruits and veggies but Im not sure if there will be enough choices for a Vegan.

The cuisine in the dining rooms run twords the french or Italian styles. There is usually a vegetarian choice but most times those will still contain a cream sauce or real butter or some kind of animal product.

Pizza is out of the question because of the cheese I guess. Most of the salads will have some kind of cheese also or possibly other things a vegan couldnt eat (im not exactly sure where they draw the line).

This could be a "diet" cruise for her

You can check out actual menus from the ship here.
http://cruiseclues.com/menus.htm
Old August 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
spaceguy

Default Re: vegan cuisine- no animal products

I am vegan as well. I have been on two Princess cruises and the first, on the Golden was wonderful but the other, on the Sun was not so good.

Princess has salad dressing they call vinigarette but they contain dairy. She will need to ask for special salad dressing to be made. I had a good one made with ginger!

They can make Thai food, Indian food, pasta, lentils, couscous, Mexican, and perhaps others things. Normally they will have the head waiter bring the menu the night before to order or prepare/modify meals as requested. She can ask for veggie side dishes from the main menu to be made and served. Or a lunch thing for diner or something she saw earlier in the week to be made later. I had red cabbage a few nights as I like red cabbage. Just make sure she stresses no cheese or sour cream, dairy, etc. I missed an evening meal on my last cruise as they "garnished" my food with grated cheese when they brought it out... This was after everyone one else was done eating....they have sorbet for dessert. I asked for pie or cobbler but this last cruise wasn't successful in getting it.

One warning, if she lets them select, she will have fruit plate for dessert and appetizer...As well as pasta each night. They can do much better!

Princess does have veggie burgers but they are a green mashed potato looking thing they cook on the grill...Not very good in my opinion. Princess has good bread and rolls and a little olive oil and basalmic vinegar is wonderful with it.

It shouldn't be a problem as it wasn't on the Golden.