Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Default Weight Loss?

So I was wondering if anyone knew if it be possible to actually lose weight while cruising? I was thinking with all the fresh fruit, vegetables, seafood and running around doing all sorts of activities it would be possible. Anyone actually lose while they were out cruising?
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:20 AM
Admiral

It certainly is possible. As you said, there are many healthy choices to be made and plenty of opportunities for exercise. I've not lost weight (except for the last cruise when we were ill), but have maintained my weight onboard.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou
It certainly is possible. As you said, there are many healthy choices to be made and plenty of opportunities for exercise. I've not lost weight (except for the last cruise when we were ill), but have maintained my weight onboard.
I gained 1 lb. when I cruised last May, 2 lbs. when I cruised in November. Both were 7-day cruises.
While I was careful what I ate for breakfast and lunch, I always enjoyed dessert with dinner!

I walked at least a mile a day on the promenade deck in the early a.m. and I almost always took the stairs instead of the elevator.

I knew whatever I gained, I would lose in a week or two after I got home.
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Admiral

I maintained while on my cruise in Feb. We walked everywhere at our ports and took the stairs whenever possible. We took it easy for breakfas and lunch and stayed away from the "inbetween" snackage. *sigh* I really really wanted some of that ice cream.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default lost 1/2 lb.!

The first day of our cruise, my daughter and I vowed to NEVER use the elevator -- only stairs. We ate everything in site and never gained an ounce.
Old August 29th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Passenger

I always lose or maintain . All the walking and eating all the food at mealtime. I always seem full. I don't snack in between, which is my problem at home, not eating regular meals and just snack.
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Best of all, stairs not elevator. Didn't lose but didn't gain either......
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Passenger

I stick with my regular eating style on cruises, as well as my fitness routine ... thank goodness for their gym facilities! Since I eat even better during these 7-14 days, I always come back home a pound or two thinner - and I'm not even trying to lose! It's so easy to keep fit on cruises.
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani

Naturally, I think it depends on several factors, but having that much food at your fingertips (and not all of it healthy) doesn't have to be a problem unless you let it become one.

Depending on your metabolism, there are healthy ways to snack and keep your body breaking down those foods (some fruit or nuts, for example, are better to munch on between meals than a candy bar). Having said that, it also doesn't hurt to keep the body active either. Yes, it is supposed to be a relaxing time, and I think it's totally fine to let loose, but if you are that concerned about maintaining your weight, or even losing some of it, you are going to have to make a number of conscious choices on the cruise. Taking stairs instead of elevators, as many people often recommend, is a good example.

However, if you spend most of your time lounging by the pool and indulging yourself excessively at mealtimes, you naturally won't have much success in your efforts.
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Yeoman

I actually lost a couple pounds, I just stayed away from greasy and fried food like French fries. I ate sensible at lunch and breakfast, usually bagels, fresh fruit, sandwiches. I then ordered anything a dinner I wanted including desert (once again staying away from fried foods). We even ordered room service a couple times for mid day deserts Carla
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Beginner

Absolutely! There are many ways to stay on track. Choose wisely and don't hit the buffet when you're starving (it's amazing how big your eyes can get). Go for walk. Engage in the activities and remember moderation.
Good Luck !!
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to ara0926

I actually lost 7lbs on my Cruise last September. Always took the Stairs, did lots of activities excursions, and danced the night away. Really only ate at meal times, and since we had the Late dinner seating, I was never hungry at night. I had dessert at dinner and on a few days had a small soft serve ice cream cone when the machine was working. =) I am sure that helped! =)
Carnival Glory 2010 St. John NB Canada
Carnival Legend 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Spirit 2009 Alaska
Carnival Splendor 2008 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 2008 Nassau
Carnival Inspiration 2008 Cozumel
Carnival Glory 2007 Western Caribbean
Elation 2006 Eastern Caribbean
Old June 9th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Admiral

When I was young and healthy, I always lost weight on cruises. I love fish and veggies, so even though I ate what I wanted, never seemed to eat enough to make up for calories burned running around ports, dancing for hours at night, etc. Now, it is a different story. Can't move around like I used to and since I stick to very controlled diet at home, I do get a tad carried away on vacation.
Side bar...years ago, I took my parents on a cruise. My mother was morbidly obese and had high blood pressure. When she got home, her blood pressure had dropped dramatically, in spite of her having gained weight. She got just enough extra exercise to make a difference!
Marty
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Yeoman

"So I was wondering if anyone knew if it be possible to actually lose weight while cruising? "

Yes, go on a ship with low hygeine standards as you will catch the "current" bug, spend most of the time in your cabin toilet and lose lots of weight at the same time.

Plenty can swear by it
Old June 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM
First Mate

I usually lose some in the wallet area. Takes me 6 months to gain it back.
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Beginner

i have heared some vegetarians lose weight while crusining, cause they often failed to find the particular food.
so, are you a vegetarian?
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Weight Loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkey25
So I was wondering if anyone knew if it be possible to actually lose weight while cruising? I was thinking with all the fresh fruit, vegetables, seafood and running around doing all sorts of activities it would be possible. Anyone actually lose while they were out cruising?
We almost always lose weight while cruising and actually feel healthier when we leave. While we are semi-active people and work out regularly at home, we don’t always eat right. Also while at home we work out 1-2 hours a day 3-5 times a week but we sit at a computer the rest of the time.

On a cruise we are constantly active, moving for 16 hours a day. We seldom sit still and are never on the computer. We seldom use the gym on board but we get exercise and keep our pulse up. It can come from climbing stairs and going from deck to deck or walking everywhere in port. If town/attractions are only a mile away we will walk instead of using a cab. We also like to participate in sports and activities on board as well.

While being active all day is part of it another factor is that we tend to eat better balanced meals. We only eat in the dining room, not for health but because the food and atmosphere is so much nicer. In my opinion it keeps you from overeating. We also aren’t the type to stuff ourselves silly. That is not a pleasurable feeling to us and makes us feel lethargic and uncomfortable. We would nap our cruise away if we did that. Heck we want to dance later!

Just take the stairs, walk in port, and don’t eat like it’s the last time you will see food and you will do great. Most of all have fun.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Beginner

I alway lose 2-3 pounds and my husband always gains about 5 pounds. For me it is less junk/fast food and more walking that helps to shed the pounds. With both kids active in sports it seems our mealtimes lately consists of grabbing something quick to eat in the car on the way to where we are going. I can't wait until they can drive.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If you are on a port intensive cruise of have a fairly high activity level it is easy to NOT gain weight on a cruise. Losing weight may be tricky unless you work on it.

There is every opportunity given to you in order to lose weight. There are excellent exercises facilities with state of the art exercises machines, equipment and classes.

There are also jogging and walking tracks that you can use and there are also low fat and lower calorie alternatives on the menus.

Many people have a hard time with the buffets. An easy thing to do with the buffet is to not overload your plate and fill your plate so you can still see the bottom. You can always go back but you will find that you probably won't.

Double entrées and desserts "sound" nice when you read them on the menu but once you've finished one you feel quite satisfied and really don't want that second one and are actually shoving it down instead of enjoying it. So don't bother ordering a second one.

These things may not apply to you but they may apply to other folks. Some of them applied to me.

Take care and enjoy the cruise and the food and just don't go overboard (too often)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 5th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Weight Loss?

Quote:
I really really wanted some of that ice cream.
haha, i also wont ice cream ))

Old September 6th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Captain

Before our 12 day Mediterranean cruise, I dieted (low-carb) for a couple of months and lost 35 pounds. During the cruise I was careful what I ate and stayed away from the high-carb items. I did eat a little pizza and pasta here and there but was careful. I did not gain an ounce in the 19 days we were gone. There is a spa menu in the dining room at each meal that offers very good choices as well and a very good gym on the ship. Just to note (and brag a little) I have lost another 12 pounds since we returned home. Trying to lose a total of 70 pounds and only need to lose 23 more. YEA!
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Passenger

To 'Nothing but Blue Skies' Big congrats on your lifestyle change and the weight you have lost. Way to go!!!!

To the original poster: it's all in your decisions.

You can definitely eat your way through a cruise, 24 hours a day if you're desperate. I've heard of people gaining 8 lbs in week. That's very serious and very unhealthy. Such a person must eat 5000+ calories a day to do this.

I like the dining room because they get it just about perfect - five courses spread out over an hour and 15 minutes. At each dining room meal my eyes start out huge, but I just stick to the program. By the time I am finished, I feel satisfied, but not stuffed.

The buffet is another story. My practice is not fill my plate up, but rather just get a couple of things. I eat slowly and then see if my stomach or my eyeballs want that second plate. I always include fruit and veggies. It works fairly well. My wife on the other hand has incredible will power. She eyeballs some super yummy dessert and gets it. She eat two bites and says wow, this is great, I think I have had enough! I can't do that.

We totally stay away from the poolside grill - nothing fried.

We both are water drinkers - no alcohol or soda for us. Occasionally my wife enjoys some fruit juice, especially the fresh squeezed OJ.

My weakness is smoked salmon and bagels. Ironically, I only put the salmon on the bagel, no butter or cream cheese. Warning - bagels are carb monsters, big time. Don't be fooled, bagels will pack the weight on you. I limit myself to a half a bagel.

My wife and I had to learn restraint at Sushi bars (of which there are over 30 of them in Reno, NV). That stuffed feeling isn't a good feeling and Sushi is very heavy. Sushi is another carb monster.

We plan each day to do something very active: jogging, snorkeling, hiking, etc. Anything less than three flights and we do the stairs.

Given all this, I have maintained, gained one pound, and gained two pounds on cruises.

OK - Now here comes the hard part. Most people eat more than usual on a cruise and they are more active on a cruise then at home. We definitely eat more and have more activity than at home. However, when we return home, it takes a lot of will power to curb the appetite to come back in line with the activity level.

That's my take. Be smart, but still enjoy yourself!
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

No different than being on land. It's all about the choices you make.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Captain

Thanks Steven. I now only have 5 pounds to go to my 70 lb goal and even got through the holidays without a weight gain (probably the first time in 30 years). Looking forward to our next cruise in April and shopping for new clothes.

I just bought a few things and was surprised to find that my daughter who has always been small wanted to borrow one of my new dresses! This is really a first for us
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old February 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
I usually lose some in the wallet area. Takes me 6 months to gain it back.
Very true. I will vouch for that!

I lost weight on the Conquest. I only did one meal each day on the average and ate small portions of food.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 13th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Passenger

I only gained a couple of pounds and that was probably due to the wine . As others have said, use the stairs not the lifts, and take a regular walk around the deck, especially before breakfast where I found I built up an appetite for it and it kept me going until dinner. I found I've gained more since I came home as when I was on board I only ate at meal times and at home have more opportunity to nibble!!
Best not to worry too much as you are on holiday!!
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Passenger

I've done okay... it's like weight control anywhere, it involves self-control and discipline. I workout and go to a couple of fitness classes during the week, walk the track once a day for awhile and am careful about what I eat, but eat far more carbs than I do at home. Avoiding alcohol completely or significantly limiting it is key to success (metabolism!) and sweet/sugared/tropical drinks are out of the question. Like many have said, stairs are a great help!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have worked on the ships for several months at a time and I can tell you it is possible to lose weight. I did - about 2 lbs/week as I did at home on Weight Watchers. I actually just followed the same principles there; the only difficulty was that I couldn't really have many of the things I love (like pasta) as often as I like to, because I knew that they were prepared with more oil than I would use if preparing it at home. But I still managed to eat just about everything I like.

Best thing, if you're serious about it, is plan around a core menu of the grilled and carved fish meats, including the grilled chicken at the pool, fresh salads with lowfat dressing, baked potatoes and rolls, if you love carbs as I do. Have 1/3 of your dessert, if you like dessert, and don't opt for the cheesecake all the time! Enjoy the taste - trust me, you'll remember it fondly whether you had the entire slice or just 1/3, but the memory won't remain forever on your hips.

Fruits, cereals, english muffins (with 1/2 TB of preserves instead of butter), lowfat milk and yogurts are generally available as well for breakfasts and I always put a few extras in my fridge for afternoon or evening snacks.

And bring the iPod, walking shoes and bathing suit and do some exercise along the ships's promenade or in the gym or pool as well as the walking you'll be doing in port. Most importantly, don't deprive yourself of something you really want. Just eat a smaller portion of those foods that are higher in fat and calories. Enjoy it all! JT
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Another thing I discovered is that even if I pay no attention to trying to eat healthy, I get tired of the rich food after a day or two. It loses its appeal quickly for me. I also tend to eat a high protein breakfast (I'm hypoglycemic), snack lunch, then whatever I want for dinner. BUT, after dinner, I do a little more walking around, regardless of how much I walked that day. I actually do bettter weight wise if I do snack, not overdo, but just never let myself get really hungry, since that is when I go overboard.
One suggestion....don't worry about cleaning your plate. I was brought up to always eat every bite and that is a sorry habit, since the food is just going to waist instead of waste. Leave it if you have had enough.
Marty
Old July 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Beginner

Its all on the person as to how they take it. agreed tht their are lots of fruits, vegetables and activities to do. if you follow all this u would loss weight. But then on the other side their are also lots n lots of deserts and any cuisine food you mention it would be thr. so i think its all on the person.

http://in.88db.com/bangalore/html/im...yle/index.html