Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rfujitani
Default a question re: corkage fees

Not only am I new to cruising, I'm also relatively new to the world of wine. Now that I've seen some threads about bringing your own wine aboard a ship, I had a more general question regarding corkage fees.

This actually pretty much applies to all corkage fees in general:
For those of you more experienced afficionados, what exactly are you paying for when you pay such a fee?

Is it sort of a way for the restaurant/ship to say, "Hey, if you're not gonna drink our wine, then we're just gonna charge you to be able open and drink your own." ?

I've always wondered because corkage fees have always seemed ridiculously high to me.
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Hi there,

I think corkage fees are on all cruise lines. I know Carnival charges $15 corkage. OK.. I know thats high but when you see the prices per bottle.. you won't complain much. I would have a glass of wine with dinner and got charged $8 - $10 a glass depending on the wine. Two glasses and you've already hit the fee. At least with your own bottle, your saving yourself a couple of bucks. We ended up buying a bottle one night for dinner and it cost us $40. I buy the same stuff at home and I know I only pay $15 for it. Its like this at any decent dry land establishment you go to. They always jack up the price on wine.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Passenger

That's true. They do jack up the prices at restaurants, so it makes sense to bring your own if you're going to a nicer place.

But what exactly are you paying for when you pay a corkage fee? Is it just some arbitrary fee that the restaurant biz came up with? If you uncork a bottle of wine in the car, right before you come into the restaurant, would they still charge a corkage fee? or, wait, maybe uncorked (or bottles with loosely replaced corks) bottles aren't allowed in establishments like this?

I'm just a little bit curious what the restaurant industry says we're actually paying for when we pay what they call a "corkage fee."
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfujitani
That's true. They do jack up the prices at restaurants, so it makes sense to bring your own if you're going to a nicer place.

But what exactly are you paying for when you pay a corkage fee? Is it just some arbitrary fee that the restaurant biz came up with? If you uncork a bottle of wine in the car, right before you come into the restaurant, would they still charge a corkage fee? or, wait, maybe uncorked (or bottles with loosely replaced corks) bottles aren't allowed in establishments like this?

I'm just a little bit curious what the restaurant industry says we're actually paying for when we pay what they call a "corkage fee."
If you are allowed to bring wine in a restaurant, then typically again you will pay a corkage fee. The price of the corkage just depends on the place. The corkage fee come from them popping the cork and giving you the proper wine glasses. In most states, its illegal to have an open container in your car. Some states are now amending that so that you can take unfinished wine home from a restaurant. Why they charge you?? because they can. lol It's as simple as that. It's another way for them to make money. They won't make as much in receipts if you provide your own beverage.

Old February 14th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina
Why they charge you?? because they can. lol It's as simple as that. It's another way for them to make money. They won't make as much in receipts if you provide your own beverage.
Haha that's what I figured. Thanks for the input.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Admiral

No problem. I'm going with a group in a couple of weeks. We all like a nice glass of wine with dinner. Since we're driving to port, we'll all carry at least one bottle of wine with us to drink at dinner. I'll pay the corkage fee but have them open up two bottles at dinner instead of just one. HAHAHA

Old February 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
No problem. I'm going with a group in a couple of weeks. We all like a nice glass of wine with dinner. Since we're driving to port, we'll all carry at least one bottle of wine with us to drink at dinner. I'll pay the corkage fee but have them open up two bottles at dinner instead of just one. HAHAHA
Oooh, I didn't realize you could do that. Pay one corkage fee and have more than one bottle opened? I think that'll be the way to go. That way, we can all have our glass of wine at dinner and save the second bottle for later on, back in the cabins.
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
Oooh, I didn't realize you could do that. Pay one corkage fee and have more than one bottle opened? I think that'll be the way to go. That way, we can all have our glass of wine at dinner and save the second bottle for later on, back in the cabins.
you have to work the system

Old February 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Corkage fees cover the care of your wine, such as chilling and storage. They also cover the opening of the bottle, pouring in the proper glass, and if you want, they will re-cork it and bring the rest out the next night. If you have any left.
The funniest thing to me is they they will open the bottle, hand me the cork, pour a small amount in the glass, and then wait to see if it is acceptable. Hey, I brought the wine from home, whether it is good or not, I most likely will drink it.
Cheers!
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjeff
Corkage fees cover the care of your wine, such as chilling and storage. They also cover the opening of the bottle, pouring in the proper glass, and if you want, they will re-cork it and bring the rest out the next night. If you have any left.
The funniest thing to me is they they will open the bottle, hand me the cork, pour a small amount in the glass, and then wait to see if it is acceptable. Hey, I brought the wine from home, whether it is good or not, I most likely will drink it.
Cheers!
Hi Jeff..

Your right.. The problem may be that the bottle is "corked" or had gone bad before you opened it. Checking the cork at the time its opened for cracks and mildew definitely helps.

I just thought of something.. Since I'm driving to the pier.. I'm going to bring my own cork screw so I can open up a bottle in my own cabin. DUH! LMAO

Jeff - If you hand carry your own bottle into the dining room, which you can do.. would they put up a fuss if you pick it up and carry it back to your room if you didn't finish it at dinner? I haven't done it yet but I'm thinking of doing that.

Old February 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Jeff - If you hand carry your own bottle into the dining room, which you can do.. would they put up a fuss if you pick it up and carry it back to your room if you didn't finish it at dinner? I haven't done it yet but I'm thinking of doing that.
That's a great question. I'd also like to know.

Quote:
I just thought of something.. Since I'm driving to the pier.. I'm going to bring my own cork screw so I can open up a bottle in my own cabin. DUH! LMAO
Wow... This didn't even occur to me at all either! And this brings up another semi-related question for me:

If I bring something like a Swiss army knife or a Leatherman, will they confiscate it from me? Or are they less strict on cruise lines about things like that than airlines are?
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

We pack a corkscrew in our checked luggage (along with the wine). Don't think a Swiss Army Knife would be a problem, though - after all, there are knives all over the ship (unlike an airplane).

In response to the other question, if you do not finish your bottle of wine in the dining room, you can either have them keep it for the next night or bring it back to your room.

In response to a question not asked - if you bring your own to enjoy in your room, your room steward will happily supply you with the proper glasses. If you happen to bring a full glass to the dining room, they have no way of knowing that you didn't just purchase it at the bar.
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif
We pack a corkscrew in our checked luggage (along with the wine). Don't think a Swiss Army Knife would be a problem, though - after all, there are knives all over the ship (unlike an airplane).

In response to the other question, if you do not finish your bottle of wine in the dining room, you can either have them keep it for the next night or bring it back to your room.

In response to a question not asked - if you bring your own to enjoy in your room, your room steward will happily supply you with the proper glasses. If you happen to bring a full glass to the dining room, they have no way of knowing that you didn't just purchase it at the bar.
I guess the only time I would want them to keep it is if I know I won't be drinking it later and its a white wine that needs to keep chilled. Other then that.. its going back to the cabin with moi. Thanks for the answers.

Old February 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Want some chesse with that wine?

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Beginner

[quote="mehawk"]Want some chesse with that wine? [/quote

Whats chesse??
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
Want some chesse with that wine?
Whats chesse??
Hmm, by my understanding, "chesse" is a light pink fruit found in the dark depths of the Atlantic Ocean, as well as Montana and a small health food store in Park City, Utah. Discovered by Amerigo Vespucci in 1987, this fruit is composed of chocolate and love, and it makes an excellent companion during cold winters and long walks on the beach. Planting the seed of a "chesse" results in the sprouting of a magnificent hamburger tree, which may grow as tall as 4 feet! Run to your nearest Wal-Mart and pick up a chesse today!

Or am I thinking of something else...?

Old March 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Admiral

For those who are interested.... I just got off Carnival Fascination. My friends and I took on board two bottles of wine per couple.(3 couples) no problem.. We took two bottles to dinner each night we ate in the dining room. No problem walking in with it what so ever. best part.... They did NOT charge us corkage fees NOR did they have a problem with us departing the dining room with the unfinished wine.

*takes one for the team with excellent news*

I now take you back to your regularly scheduled program. LMAO

Old March 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Passenger

This is all good for us as we like to have wine with us at dinner time and since we are takign all 5 of us in our family i have to save some where. Can you take any size of a bottle as sionce that is what i will probab;y drink the whole cruise instead of there beer. Can you take 2 per person and try to hide more in oyur suitcase
just a thought.
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Passenger

PS has anyone try to sneek beer on the ship just was wandering
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the update, Dina; I didn't see it until today. This is good news indeed, and I'll make sure to keep it in mind!
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingfrompa
This is all good for us as we like to have wine with us at dinner time and since we are takign all 5 of us in our family i have to save some where. Can you take any size of a bottle as sionce that is what i will probab;y drink the whole cruise instead of there beer. Can you take 2 per person and try to hide more in oyur suitcase
just a thought.
You know.. We thought about taking the "big" bottles of wine instead of the standard size. Basically it breaks down about the same as two bottles. I suppose you could but they are pretty heavy. We were lucky enough to be driving to the port instead of flying in. Packing that much wine in a suitcase.. I'm guessing you could pack them. I saw one couple with a magnum of champagne. Bottles don't get any bigger then that.

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the update, Dina; I didn't see it until today. This is good news indeed, and I'll make sure to keep it in mind!
My pleasure.

Old March 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Thanks dina we are driving to NY so I probably will pack my wine bottles any suggestions on how. There will be 5 suitcases in our family or less i fi can since there are 5 of us going. Boy it seems so far away we are getting really excited since it is our first cruise. My kids are even doing better in school becasue they know if they dont they dont go. It is really been making them respect what we have in this Vacation for them.
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
First Mate

I put my wine in a wheeled bag that I pull on the ship. Never have any trouble that way. I have had one time where at the x-ray they made me take it out. They labeled it and sent it to the dinning room.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I agree with Jeff. Wine is not contraband. Carry it on and not packed in your stuff. If you've seen the way the bags get tossed around. *shudder*

Old March 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Passenger

Quote:
I agree with Jeff. Wine is not contraband. Carry it on and not packed in your stuff. If you've seen the way the bags get tossed around. *shudder*
Thus is true.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just sailed on Carnival Miracle. Our waiter told us that if he kept and stored OUR wine then he would have to charge a corkage fee (i.e., storage fee), but if we took our opened bottle back to our room, put it in our fridge and brought it back the next night - no fee. Worked just fine for us! Never got charged a cent all week.

Kim
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Another good thing to know! Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Passenger

I like to pack a 3liter box of wine in my checked baggage. No problem with breakage. I do however seal it in two plastic bags, probably overkill because these botta boxes have some great packaging tech. It is not that easy though to find a drinkable boxed wine. The brands we have liked the best are Stonehaven chard, Carmenere merlot and Banrock Station shiraz. We usually bring al least two bottles each of finer wines. So far on 2 sailing on the Oosterdam and one one Carnival Spirit, we have not been charged a corkage fee.

We will be sailing on the Golden Princess 5/19/07. At the time we booked ,their alcohol policy according to the website, was wine and champagne allowed. Now their policy states one bottle of wine per passenger. We are still going to bring the box and 4 more bottles. We will see what happens.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

what if you open your wine in your room and bring it in like that.
I have always been charged the fee to open it in the dinning room.
I also brought the big bottles before since it was 4 people.