Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Beginner

Default Vegan dining on cruises?

Hi all.

I know there probably aren't a whole lot of vegan diners on the board, but there might be a few folks who still have some tips based on their experiences.

Obviously, I'm a vegan- my question is regarding if any cruise lines might be more amenable to my diet than other cruise lines. Vegetarian food is pretty easy to come by, but vegan food, not so much.

I have been on one cruise (carnival victory) and my experience was okay. Although it was a little difficult to find something to eat during the day, dinner usually (after the waiter realized I'd have the same restrictions each night) was pretty good, although not too filling. (I actually lost a couple of pounds while on the cruise if you can believe it! )

So, if anyone has any helpful info, I'm all ears. And stomach.

Thanks,
:-)
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Vegan dining on cruises?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertie
Hi all.

I know there probably aren't a whole lot of vegan diners on the board, but there might be a few folks who still have some tips based on their experiences.

Obviously, I'm a vegan- my question is regarding if any cruise lines might be more amenable to my diet than other cruise lines. Vegetarian food is pretty easy to come by, but vegan food, not so much.

I have been on one cruise (carnival victory) and my experience was okay. Although it was a little difficult to find something to eat during the day, dinner usually (after the waiter realized I'd have the same restrictions each night) was pretty good, although not too filling. (I actually lost a couple of pounds while on the cruise if you can believe it! )

So, if anyone has any helpful info, I'm all ears. And stomach.

Thanks,
:-)
With all of the problems with pork, chicken, (what's next???) feed being tainted by China, I'm seriously thinking about becoming a vegan myself....
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Have your travel agent notify the cruise line 2 weeks or more in advance. They will do everything they can to accomodate you. Even to the point of creating meals for you alone. Vegan is not that unusual anymore.
Marty
Old June 11th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Yeoman

Marty is right, tell them way up front your preference and expectation.

But you will be very limited on most bulk lines, especially buffet as there may be ingredients in most dishes that you would not want to eat.

But for choice given your preference, go a bit more select as they will cater more to the individual in my experience.
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM
Beginner

Hi Gertie,

I am vegan and have been on approx 14 cruises. The first few not vegan but probably the last 10, on five different cruise lines. Typically you and your TA need to notify the cruise line at booking time, do the on line profile, if the line has it, and also send a letter 4-6 weeks out, from your cruise date. Ususaly this part works. I tend not use to use the word "vegan" but state specifically when I can and cannot eat and need special meals.

The first day at boarding find out and go see the Maitre'd when he is open and aks/verify you are in the system as special meals.

Dinner the waiter/headwaiter/Maitre'd are fine and try to accommodate. It helps to have ideas of what you want as sometimes they are not very good at suggestions. Usually they make Indian curries etc and these are good. Some italian dishes but try not to get pasta with red sauce on formal night! Ask about getting the "side" items such as the veggies fomr the normal evening's meals. Ususally for dinner they bring the next day's menu to you so you can select what you can have or modify something. If it is a sea day you can order a breakfast or lunch too. Well all days if you ar eont he ship...Somethines you can ask for a lunch vegna item for dinner if you see that for the next day. Most ships have a grill and do veggie burgers and fries.. Salad dressing you may have to ask about.. some look creamy and are not and other are oil based but may have bacon or cheese in them. It is hard to tell. Lunch or breakfast at the buffet can be a bit of a challenge but usually toast/bread, potatoes, jam fruit, cereal, etc can work. Typically they will have soy milk but you may have to ask for it. Some ships will make pizza without cheese if you ask and wait.

Normally you won't get many desserts. I've asked and a few times they have made me fruit pie or cobbler. Then eveyone at the table wants a piece!

You really have to ask the waiter questions. I've been told some soups for instance are okay..such as french onion and then ask, only to find out yes they make their's with beef stock. Or minestrone soup seems okay... but they use a chicken stock...

I usually do not gain weight, and once lost two pounds in a week! Hope this helps!
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to Vianna&Alex~Aus

Hi
I am a Ceoliac (gluten/wheat) intolorence.
Will this apply to me as well. Has anyone been on a cruise
and had an issue?
I'm not a fussy eater but I should be ok I hope?
Any ideas?
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Yes, the same advice would apply to Celiac. They will do everything they can to accomodate you and make sure that they know that this is a health issue. A letter from your doc wouldn't hurt.
Marty
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Agreed, most ships will and can cater for all dietary needs, but you MUST let them know in advance via the line direct or TA.

Don’t wait until you get onboard, as you will not be on their normal options unless you do the salad bar 24x7