CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Cruise Cuisine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/)
-   -   trying new things (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/cruise-cuisine/335613-trying-new-things.html)

April_QT July 1st, 2007 06:07 PM

trying new things

I'm on Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Seas on Aug. 19

I intend, at dinner, to order something new and/or exotic every single night.

What is some of the interesting cuisine I might be able to expect?

THANKS!!

:roll:

marvlgirl July 15th, 2007 12:02 PM

Well there is Escargot and Pate which to me is pretty interesting and not your run of the mill foods. Escargot to me just tastes like Garlic and Butter which is what they are cooked in so not sure if I would try it again.

dlm2005 July 16th, 2007 09:57 AM

We tried the chilled apple soup, which sounds a bit strange but was very good.

April_QT July 16th, 2007 10:07 PM

k!! thanks!

trarecar July 16th, 2007 11:44 PM

I'm the same. I want to try lots of new things that I've never had before.

RedhairNFreckles July 17th, 2007 02:35 PM

On our family cruise last month, I was so proud of all of my 5 grandchildren (ages 5 to 10) and their willingness to try different foods in the dining room. They tried chilled Mango soup, kiwi fruit, and even escargot. Some they liked, some they didn't, but at least they tried.

colorcrazie July 17th, 2007 02:43 PM

My DH used to be the pickiest eater I had ever met. Drove me nuts, but once he took over cooking I relaxed a tad. Annoyed that he didn't trust me not to sneak something into a recipe that he thought he didn't like. Then, I talked him into trying cruising. He got hooked and started experimenting by always ordering one thing at dinner that he wasn't sure about...plus whatever he really wanted. Totally changed his attitude. Phew.Since I tend to be rather adventuresome in eating, cruises may have saved our marriage!
Marty

dawson21 July 17th, 2007 08:28 PM

trying new things?

is it true if you try something and don't like it they will bring you something else? is it also true if something isn't done properly/to your liking they will correct it with no problem i.e. an undercooked or overcooked steak?

dlm2005 July 18th, 2007 10:33 AM

Dawson:

Absolutely. Although I did not have any problems, my wife sent something back because it was too spicy for her. They came back with a fresh dish cooked without the spices and it was just what she wanted

Cathy100 July 24th, 2007 03:09 PM

The one thing that I love about cruising food is trying all the soups. I love the watermelon soup that I had on the Enchantment a few years ago. I also had a great Okra soup on Celebrity. I have had the apple and the mango soups also, they were very good.

Oh yea..... you can't forget about all the different desserts offered.

My2cents March 15th, 2008 12:40 AM

YES! Do Try New Things!

I always look for a new food to try when cruising and yes...if you don't like something (for any reason), you can order something else.

Things I tried as a "first" when cruising:

1. Frog Legs (first and last - yuck)
2. Figs at breakfast - loved them! Have searched...can't find them in OK.
3. Cherries Jubilee - Yum
3. Lamb Chop - Great
4. Hearts of Palm - Wonderful
5. Mussels - never again...like chewing a rubber tire

Have fun with your choices!

tapdancenanna June 1st, 2008 11:53 AM

I like to try new things on cruises too and no worries, if you don't like it your waiter will be happy to bring you something else.

The chilled soups are really good, love the strawberry, blueberry and carrot, yes carrot, was learry of that one but oh so good.I've never had duck, but am going to try it this time on our Alaska cruise in three weeks.

There is always escargot, dip it in plenty of butter, everyone should try that once. :roll:

katlady June 4th, 2008 11:28 AM

Re: trying new things?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawson21
is it true if you try something and don't like it they will bring you something else? is it also true if something isn't done properly/to your liking they will correct it with no problem i.e. an undercooked or overcooked steak?

Yup. I tried the diet pumpkin pie it was not good. They got me an apple pie that was yummy. Also my sister ordered her steak medium and it was under cooked they got her a medium steak in no time at all. The was on my last cruise April 26-May 10. The dining room staff did an excellent job. :D

katlady June 4th, 2008 11:31 AM

If you like seafood try the bouillabaisse it was very good on Carnival. :D

mehawk July 11th, 2008 07:43 PM

Try any foods that you haven't sampled before.

bbozeman April 9th, 2009 03:33 PM

while i would reccomend trying new foods i must say you should also try the things you may have already had......because the cruise lines can take a simple dish and turn it into something great.