Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default re: Kitchen Tours? Assignment needed while cuising..

hmmm...Does Royal Carribean allow Kitchen Tours? If so how would you arrange this?
My daughter has an assisgnment to do while cruising for a Cook Class.
She is asked to see if she can get some receipies. What kinds of foods are served, how many ppl work i the kitchen, with pictures.
I beleive there is more questions but this is all I can recall at this time while typing this...
I am hoping that she will have some assistance from our waiters or some one can help!
Carnival - 1982

Grandeur of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Check your daily activities for galley tours. These seem to happen on days at sea.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ok do you mean the sheet they give to you stating what is going to happen when on the cruise ship the next day?
When do those papers come to your room anyway? Is it put under your door for you in the morning to read or is it brought into your room when they leave the towel guys...?
Thanks
Carnival - 1982

Grandeur of the Seas
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezie1
Ok do you mean the sheet they give to you stating what is going to happen when on the cruise ship the next day?
When do those papers come to your room anyway? Is it put under your door for you in the morning to read or is it brought into your room when they leave the towel guys...?
Thanks
Yes.. those sheets. Its usually left in your cabin by your room steward when he turns down your bed at night and makes the towel creatures. You can see all of the next days activities.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM
Captain

On RCI Sovereign of the Seas last month, Casey, our cruise director, made mention of the fact that they are no longer (or at least not currently) doing those special tours of the kitchen etc....Seems as with most things, the liability thing caught up with them. A big thank-you to all the lawyers in the world...Gee, we need a few more of them, don't we?

I've seen othere posts from Diamond members, platinum members or whatever they are claiming to have taken galley tours etc recently..I'm not sure how recently as I really can't imagine how there would be any less "liability" involved in providing tours for these folks as opposed to the rest of us who can't cruise 14 times a year...Do you detect a hint of jealousy on my part? lol. It's too bad, they are cool tours to take. There were definitley none posted on our nightly, cruise news sheets. As far as arranging them you used to just show up for the tour at the time listed on your nightly cruise news sheet (forget the name of the news sheet on RCI)

I'm sure if you spoke with someone in higher up in one of the dining rooms one of the chefs might be willing to talk to your daughter about her interests...Not sure if the head chef would be willing but I'm sure someone would do it.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

That has happened with a lot of the behind the scenes areas. DH is amateur radio operator and used to request "tour" and chat with communications officer on every cruise. Can't do that anymore. Makes some sense, as that could be a terrorist target. But, do ask for one of the chefs to chat with your daughter. They can be very willing to talk with someone who is truly interested.
Good luck.
Marty
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you happen to be on Explorer, they offer a special galley tour and luncheon on the last sea day. It is limited to about 28 people, so you need to sign up early, and includes a tour of the galley and then lunch in Portofino with several of the top chefs. We got a mojito upon entering, then a sushi "amuse bouche", lobster appetizer, filet mignon main dish and dessert - each course accompanied by the appropriate wine (all you wanted). Each chef got up to speak - I sat next to the sommalier who discussed each wine being served. Then each person got a copy of the cookbook which the chefs autographed. I believe the cost was $55 per person and was worth every penny (except as a couple we could have done without one of the cookbooks - who needs two?).