Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

View Poll Results: What’s the best way to improve the quality of coffee served aboard a cruise ship?
Serve coffee from a well known brand (ie. Starbucks, Seattle’s Best, Barnie’s, etc). 9 31.03%
Have a coffee roaster aboard the cruise ship and serve fresh roasted specialty coffee. 4 13.79%
Have the coffee supplied as whole bean and grind the coffee just before brewing. 8 27.59%
Serve a commercial grade coffee from a well known brand (ie. Folger's, Maxwell House, etc.). 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
Beginner

Default Best way to improve the coffee served aboard a cruise ship?

Please feel free to post any comments or questions.

Kelsey
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Admiral

No Starbarf's, please!
Marty
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The "ultimate" solution would be to have fresh beans brought in and roast and grind them on board. Then again, would they have a barista who knew how long to roast each bean for the desired length of time. Five minutes or nine minutes makes a huge difference in coffee.

That solution is far too expensive and labor intensive for the regular coffee. It can be done in a specialty coffee area but not in the buffet or dining room urns.

The main thing for any coffee is to have "fresh" coffee that is made in clean urns using good water. They also have to replenish the coffee and not let it sit.

They can easily create a good coffee using commercial grade coffee. The VAST majority of passengers can't tell the difference between Folger's or a premium blend and if any coffee is made using a dirty coffee maker or held too long it will all taste like crap.

The worst thing they can do is use a syrup.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Just to let everyone know, I am a roaster of specialty coffee, and in the process of doing market research, and I would like to find out what other cruiser's thoughts are on the coffee served aboard the ships. Also, I am not affiliated in any way with the owners of this forum. Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kelsey
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Hey, you forgot to add Dunkin Donuts to your list, that would be my #1 choice.
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Beginner

Seattle's Best would be a plus.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Admiral

I like my morning coffee up on deck. It is always very strong. Now, I like strong coffee and drink it black, but often it is like trying to drink tar. So, I add some hot water. Problem solved. On the other hand, if it is too weak, there is nothing you can do.
As far as brands go, there are very few that I can tell the difference between. I love Yuban half caf, but the best, in my book, is from the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf. Got hooked when I lived in Santa Monica, Ca.
Marty
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Admiral

Shoot the Carnival Freedom is in Italy right now have then pick up enought Illy coffee for the fleet. That is what I'm drinking right now and it's tasty Italian coffee.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Lancer525

Actually, the problem really isn't the beans, the roast, or the brand, as much as it is the method by which the coffee is made. Coffee is an aromatic, as I'm sure the roasters and producers will agree. Because of the "Starbucks" trend that everyone seems to be trying to jump onto, they're making it all wrong. The acids in the beans that come to full flavor when roasted, actually combine cumulatively, and not additively when they are made into liquid coffee. The best way to get the most flavor out of the coffee is not to add more grounds to your water, it is to grind it slightly finer and use LESS coffee. Good coffee is like garlic in a way. The finer you chop garlic, the more flavor it releases. Coffee beans are the same way. If you add too much grounds, the acids in the beans overwhelm the flavors, and you get nasty coffee. So use about 2/3 the amount you normally do, but grind it finer. Easy solution.
Old September 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Passenger

I hate coffee made from coffee syrup. It's no different than instant coffee. Princess at one time had Bunn drip coffee on a hot plate in one of the coffee bars and it was free for the taking. That was such a nice discovery, but alas, they stopped doing that.

Bob
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Well, my coffee maker here at home grinds my coffee for each pot - which is a huge improvement. Our pastor has a coffee roaster, and the freshely roasted beans, ground fresh would be the optimal. I really haven't had a great cup of coffee on a ship yet, it is a disappointment - while on board I find myself drinking only tea.