Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Beginner

Default I'm trying to lose weight before I cruise

Hi All. This will be my first ever cruise and I'm thrilled. I'm spending hours on the computer and love these boards. I really want to lose 20 pounds before June so I've started a blog about my weight loss. I think that if I have accountability, I'm going to have lose this weight or die when I have to see somebody on board! Anybody want to join me? I'm at
countdowntocruise.blogspot.com

Kelli, 43 years old, mom to 2 great kids and 20 pounds overweight!
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Passenger

Default You can do that easy

Bigdaddyhd lost 35 put back 10 ways back good luck ,cut carbs and eat wisely and your on your way.Have a great cruise
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am on a diet as well, cruising May 5th. Need to get into all those formal dresses!
Have lost 8lb so far since mid January (when I'd 'finished up all the christmas chocs and nibbles )
Went swimming today at 8.30am - swam 32 lengths of pool which is 1/2 a mile. Tomorrow I will be going to Aqua-fit -don't know if you have that in USA? Keep -fit in the pool for nearly a hour...
Have cut out the usual - no chips(fries), chocolate, biscuits (cookies), cakes, naughty puddings - just low cal yogarts and mouuse or fruit after a meal now.

Sue
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainEdwardJohnSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraLass
I am on a diet as well, cruising May 5th. Need to get into all those formal dresses!
Have lost 8lb so far since mid January (when I'd 'finished up all the christmas chocs and nibbles )
Went swimming today at 8.30am - swam 32 lengths of pool which is 1/2 a mile. Tomorrow I will be going to Aqua-fit -don't know if you have that in USA? Keep -fit in the pool for nearly a hour...
Have cut out the usual - no chips(fries), chocolate, biscuits (cookies), cakes, naughty puddings - just low cal yogarts and mouuse or fruit after a meal now.

Sue

Hey Gorgeous,
Long time no chat! How have ya been, Sue?

Captain
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Here's a list of my favorite "diet foods" if that helps:
turkey pepperoni
kraft fat free cheeses (slices or shredded)
Turkey chili
whole wheat pasta
brown rice
tyson grilled chicken breast strips
any kind of grilled fish
lean cuisine or healthy choice frozen meals
weight watchers frozen meals and desserts

Two of my favorite meals to make are whole wheat pasta with turkey chili and FF cheese or brown rice with broccoli, grilled chicken breast strips and terriaki sauce. Great cereals to try are Kashi and FiberOne.

Old February 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm on the same journey. I cruise in a little more than 30 days now. I've dropped 31 pounds in the last 6 weeks (down 2 pants sizes), and I hope to take at least another 10-15 off before the cruise.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old March 4th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to justgr8fl2cruise

HoustonTodd,

How did you lose that weight?

Please share.

HAL-M.S. Noordam 1987 ....Alaska
CCL-Elation 1998 ....Mexican Riviera
NCL-Norwegian Star 2002 ....Hawaii
CCL-Carnival Conquest 2004 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Miracle 2006 ....Western Carribean
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2007 ....Alaska
CCL-Carnival Spirit 2009 ....Mexican Riviera
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgr8fl2cruise
HoustonTodd,

How did you lose that weight?

Please share.
I've conciously cut out as much carbs + fat as possible both out of my diet. I eat lots of salad, soup, vegetables and lean grilled meats. Although I have "splurge" days where I can go a little over, I generally keep to 800-1000 calories a day limit. I walk a couple of miles a day and do a little weight training (though I have not been as faithful to do that of late).

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old March 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Admiral

You guys have got to be kidding me with this............

So let's see -- the Atkins thing.

So let's see. Let's cut out carbohydrates. And they are carbohydrates, not "carbs".........

So, let's cut out carbohydrates from what we eat. Let's follow Mr. Atkins example.

Charles Atkins believed that the way to weight loss (not bodyfat loss) was by eating more animal products. Eat more meat, and it will be your weight-loss salvation.

It's ironic that Mr. Atkins died recently of heart disease, as a direct result of his Atkins Diet.............

He died suddenly of heart disease due to his high-fat, high-cholesterol, high-protein diet. He died directly because his high-cholesteral, high-fat diet was directly contrary to the human body's dietrary requirements.

Although saddened by the loss of another human being, the American College of Sports Medicine recognized the deficiencies of the Atkins Diet.

To function properly, the human body requires these nutrients, in these proportions, regardless of current fad diets:

50% - 60% carbohydrates
30% - 35% unsaturated fat
15% - 20% protein

The Atkins Diet suffers from several deficiencies.

Too low of a percentage of carbohydrates. Where's your fiber coming from ?

Far too much saturated fat. All that bacon? Please sign your will over to me!

Far too much protein. Did you know that too much protein damages your kidneys?

If you want answers, look to the American College of Sports Medicine. It has no books to sell. It has no diet to sell. No one profits from its advice.

And so, diet advice. Charles Atkins died of his advice, but who cares! South Beach Diet -- more carbohydrate cutting. Of course they don't have an answer for proper fiber consumption.

Everyone peddling a diet book profits at your expense. You try this, and you try that. And 5 years later, you've gained weight.

And so Atkins is your salvation. Reduce carbohydrates, and you're in like slim. Did you know that carbohydrates contain mostly water, and that the temporary weight loss that you experience is due entirely to water loss? Did you know that water weighs 8 1/3 pounds per gallon? Did the Atkins people profiting from you explain all of that to you?

So you're on the Atkins thing. You eat everything that's wrong with eating, you lose water weight, your cholesterol sky-rockets, you believe you're on the right track -- and then your hero, Charles Atkins himself, dies as a direct result of his mis-guided eating plan.

But you carry on. You're determined to lose those few pounds, and you'll do whatever it takes to succeed. Charles Atkins dropped dead on a sidewalk as a direct result of his advice, and yet you're going to carry on.

I admire your dedication! You want to lose body fat -- good for you! Perhaps you have what it takes to do it, for now -- and for all time.

You've been sold many things. Too many things, in fact. Buy this thing, buy that thing. This book is your salvation. This diet at the supermarket is the thing. And for some absolutely inexplicable reason, carbohydrates are now the current enemy.

Any first-year history student can tell you that carbohydrates weren't always the enemy. In the 60's it was salt. In the 70's it was still salt. In the 80's it was fat. There was no distinction made between saturated and unsaturated fat. In the 90's it was carbohydrates. No distinction was made between simple and complex carbohydrates.

Quite naturally, in order to sell you more books and products, no mention was made of the glycemic index. Since carbohydrates were the fashionable enemy, the diet book pushers didn't want you to know that different carbohydrates digest at different rates, and thus impact your calorie absorbtion at different rates.

And so Atkins isn't the way. Neither is South Beach. Carbohydrates aren't the enemy. So why should you believe me? Well you shouldn't. Don't believe me. Don't believe a word I say. Verify every one of my facts for yourself. Verify my facts. And then verify them again.

Check the facts out for yourself. For all you know, I am some diet book pusher. It is my sincere belief that you do not believe a word I have written. It is my sincere belief that you examine the facts for yourself. It is my sincere belief that you question everything, and believe nothing. For only then will you be open to the facts.

Check out the American College of Sports Medicine's website and books. The American College of Sports Medicine is the bible upon which we in the health and fitness field rely upon. The ACSM doesn't sell diets, and doesn't profit from any such thing. The ACSM publishes the facts, and only the facts, whatever the facts may be.

People believe in miracles, God love 'em. They'ved believed in this miracle diet or that miracle diet. They'ved believed that if they eliminated salt from their diets they would lose weight. And then they believed if they eliminated fat from their diets they would lose weight. And then they believed that if they eliminated carbohydrates from their diets they would lose weight. They believed whatever the pushers were selling them.

It never crossed their minds that there are no miracles.........

You don't pull the cork on a bottle, and out pops a genie who solves all your problems. You don't begin some fad diet and you're the next Charles Atlas. You don't cut out a critical element of human dietary requirements, and suffer no ill effects.

You want to lose body fat -- good for you!

For you will need to engage in a comprehensive program of a diligent eating plan, and weight-lifting exercise. And you will have to be patient. There are no miracles here. True and significant body fat losses occur as a direct result of a correct eating plan and weight lifting exercise. You want a miracle? Go to church. You want to lose body fat? Work hard, cut your calories, lift weights, and be patient.

If you want to work hard, and want real results, I'm right there beside you. If not, don't waste my time.............

Dean
Old March 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Passenger

While I agree that the Atkins diet is dangerous and is not one personally that I follow - I have to correct your errors.

1. His name is Robert Atkins

2. He died due to injuries sustained by a fall outside his offices in New York City. Not a heart attack/heart disease - that is a rumor.

Around 2000, Atkins started to develop a heart condition, cardiomyopathy, which he claimed was unrelated to his diet. On April 18, 2002, Atkins suffered a cardiac arrest caused by an infection that spread to his heart muscle. At the time, Clyde Yancy, a cardiologist and member of the board of directors of the American Heart Association, was quoted as saying, "Despite the obvious irony, I believe there is a total disconnect between the cardiac arrest and the health approach he (Atkins) popularizes."[1]

On April 8, 2003, Atkins slipped on ice and fell in front of his medical office in New York City and sustained major head injuries that put him in a coma. News of this quickly turned into rumors that Atkins had a heart attack while he was on his own diet. He never recovered from his injuries, and subsequently died on April 17 of kidney failure.[2] Although it was illegal to do so, the New York City Medical Examiner’s Office released Atkins' medical records to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a group associated with PETA and which advocates a vegetarian diet. The record stated his weight to be approximately 255 lb (116 kg) at the time of death. In terms of simple height/weight measure (BMI), this would mean he was obese; the apparent irony of a diet guru being obese caused the information to be circulated around the world by the media and animal rights groups, much to the distress of his family. The Atkins company released a statement claiming that he weighed only 196 lb (89 kg) upon admission to the hospital and that his apparent increase in weight was due to fluid retention following the failure of his major organs.[3] William Leith interviewed him in the period between his cardiac arrest and his fall. Leith writes, "He looks to be just under 6 feet tall and around 200 lbs – not skinny, not thin, but definitely not fat. The jowls around his neck are fairly minimal, signs of age rather than excess weight."[4]

It should be noted that due to the great popularity of low carbohydrate diets in 2002-2003, Atkins had made many television appearances in the year before his death. This would have made it very difficult to hide it if Atkins had, indeed, been obese.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Atkins_(nutritionist)
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Admiral

Anytime I try to "remove" any food item from my diet I feel like I'm missing something and cheat. Instead I count calories around 1500 calories per day. sometimes more sometimes less. Also exercise 3 or 4 times a week.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Captain

Another idea for lunch is Cambells cup soup. The mini noodle is only 70 calories. My DH and I have been on a diet since the 1st of the year and I've lost 32 pounds. Seem to have hit a wall now though and am trying to figure out what do do to start again. I only want to lose another 17 pounds but its not happening.

05/01/10 Sapphire Princess
09/14/09 Enchantment of the Seas
10/19/08 Crown Princess
03/04/04 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Get on the scales right now and record your weight! This will be a tight regimine but it does work.

Look up the recipe for the cabbage soup diet. Make that soup.

Breakfast: 1 cup salad and 2 oz chicken breast
Snack: Soup
Lunch: 1 cup salad 2 oz chicken breast and 1/2 cup rice
Dinner: 1 cup salad 4 oz chicken breast 1/2 cup rice

If you like dressing on the salad buy the Girrards LITE Champange Dressing. It has the least calories per serving with the best flavor. If you want it easy buy the chicken breast tenders as they are close to the 2 oz serving.

If you get the hungry cravings, have some more soup. The calories are not going to amount to what you could have eaten.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008