Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine
Register Forgot Password?

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Default How To Lose Weight Before Your Cruise

I was a personal trainer for many years in the health and fitness industry. There is a proven way to lose body fat, but it requires a little work on your part.

And notice I said “body fat�, not weight. Weight isn’t important, the percentage of your body’s weight that’s fat, is.

This is a multi-step process, one with which you will lose 1-2 pounds of body fat per week.

Step 1: Get a body fat analysis done, to determine your body fat percentage. Within this report should be a basal metabolism rate. Your body’s BMR is basically how many calories your body burns while at rest, for one day. You can get a body fat analysis at many health clubs, hospitals, clinics, universities, and sports training facilities.

Step 2: Add to your BMR the caloric value of your daily activities. Or to keep it simple, your body fat analysis should have a chart listing calories expended for sedentary, moderately active, and very active, for your body weight. This caloric expenditure figure is how many calories you burn each day. This is the starting number on your way to losing body fat.

Step 3: Consult with your physician, and with his or her OK, begin lifting weights. Weight bearing exercise is the most efficient method of burning calories. The exercise itself burns few calories – but your body’s response to the exercise burns a great deal of calories. In a nutshell, every 1 pound of muscle you add to your body burns an extra 100 calories per day, every day. If you were to add 5 pounds of muscle, you’d burn an extra 500 calories per day, every day. A significant amount, which you will see next.

Step 4: Now that you have your BMR + daily activity level + weight lifting, you now know how many calories you’re burning each day. Let’s pick a number, and say 2300 calories expended each day.

Step 5: Now that we’ve got your calories going out, we need to deal with your calories going in. The basic body fat loss program works on the idea of creating a 500 calorie per day differential in your caloric intake versus your caloric expenditure. You see, there are 3500 calories in 1 pound of body fat, so 500 calorie per day deficit, over 7 days per week, causes 1 pound of body fat lost each week.

Step 6: Using our previous example of 2300 calories expended each day, you can see that you should consume no more than 1800 calories each day, to create the required 500 calorie per day deficit. Your exact numbers will vary, this is just an example. You just want to create a 500 calorie per day deficit.

Step 7: Create a meal plan wherein you eat 6 times per day, but smaller portions. You should eat every 2-3 hours, beginning with breakfast. So eat a 400 calorie breakfast, followed 2-3 hours later with a 200 calorie snack. Eat a 400 calorie lunch, followed 2-3 hours later with a 200 calorie snack. Eat a 400 calorie dinner, followed 2-3 hours later with a 200 calorie snack. It isn’t important so much the foods you eat. You don’t need to do some South Beach Diet or Atkins thing. Just eat regular foods in the prescribed calorie portions. Losing body fat is calories in and calories out – that’s all.

Once you’ve hit your target weight and body fat percentage, increase your caloric intake to equal your caloric expenditure. If you follow this process, which isn’t that difficult, really, you will be very pleased with the results. The weight you lose will be all body fat, and you will look and feel great.

Dean
Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for your post. It's very good info. I just want to add a little bit. Losing weight is easy to say than done. If people follow the tips they have read they would be able to see wonderful result.
Old March 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Banned
Captain

I found a simpler way...
I use to weigh 225 lbs and am 5'9"
All I did was stop the intake of starch (white bread,itialian bread,pasta ect..) stopped using salt and sugar....began eating more fruit and vegetables and protein, the only bread I eat in moderation is whole grain. Also portion control, you dont have to eat till you burst...bought a eliptical machine and worked out 30 mins a day...5 months later I was 169lbs...now I exercise to mantain my weight between 167lbs and 170lbs.

All you need is will power...halt starch,salt and sugar, exercise and eat in moderation (Portion control..and eat well before you go to bed.) you will lose weight..OH one more important thing..STOP EATING OUT.

If you really want to lose weight, you will....If you cheat by eating what ever you want, you will not be happy with your results.
Old March 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Default Similiar to buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
I found a simpler way...
I use to weigh 225 lbs and am 5'9"
All I did was stop the intake of starch (white bread,itialian bread,pasta ect..) stopped using salt and sugar....began eating more fruit and vegetables and protein, the only bread I eat in moderation is whole grain. Also portion control, you dont have to eat till you burst...bought a eliptical machine and worked out 30 mins a day...5 months later I was 169lbs...now I exercise to mantain my weight between 167lbs and 170lbs.

All you need is will power...halt starch,salt and sugar, exercise and eat in moderation (Portion control..and eat well before you go to bed.) you will lose weight..OH one more important thing..STOP EATING OUT.

If you really want to lose weight, you will....If you cheat by eating what ever you want, you will not be happy with your results.
I am close to 6'6 and at one time I weighed 240. I went on a crash diet and got down to 173 .That was 40 years ago.

In 2004 I was diagnosed with an illness and put on a gluten free diet .This automatically eliminates the "bad" foods .My Nutritionist allows me to go off the diet when cruising but I take medication for my illness and I've yet to have a problem.

I tend to keep my weight between 195 and 207 ,